1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Amp question for twang junkies

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SonicBlueByYou, Dec 4, 2019.

1. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I had exactly the same experience as tarheelbob, with the addition of a Deluxe Reverb in between. There's really no comparing the two amps. For your purposes, the 15 watt PRRI SE will fill the bill. I own the amp in that ad and it is sweet once the speaker gets broken in. If you really want to twang, put an alnico in it. With a tele, you'll have to ride the tone knob to keep the icepick at bay, tho.

2. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I thought a Cannabis Rex was a darker voiced speaker? I don't know.

For additional twang never under estimate your guitar pick thickness and material. Along with string age and brands.

The time I saw Marty Stuart he was still playing Twin Reverbs with an always on TS9 Tube Screamer. I remember reading an interview when he was using the Twins the treble was on 9, middle 8-9 and bass 9-10 bright switch up. I tried that. Didn't work for me....

Wally likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

To me twang is not always about style or EQ per se, but about compression (or lack thereof). My BJ and Champs make my tele sound like a tele more than my modern voiced Marshall. More dynamic and snappy, airy. But while the BJ is fendery In that way, of course it is not BF/SF fendery. Both do twangy better than my Marshall. But the BF/SF is gonna do 60s/70s country twang better.

OTOH, my BJ is hundreds less than any BF/SF bigger than my Champ. So it’s twangy enough for me. [emoji1783]

4. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Get the "normal" Princeton Reverb '65 ( not '68) with the OEM speaker at 10 inch. If you mainly entertain yourself.. this is the right combination with enough clean volume before it gets into a hairy sound. The 10 inch speaker sounds better. Don't waste you money on the 12 inch version or and " upgraded" speaker. You want the standard speaker. In fact, go USED and get a broken in unit for $500-600 dollars and you are all set. I have a Bordeaux Deluxe Reverb RI ( factory Jensen 12 inch) , one Surf Green / White Princeton RI '65 with Celestion Greenback and one Princeton RI '65 Orange / white with Weber K150 Speaker. They all 3 will happily perform in a basement size environment. Main difference, the Deluxe has 2 channels allows for backing track unit on Clean channel .
    PS I also had a Blues Junior and a Blues Deluxe and they have been replaced with the traditional sounding Fender amps. A serious sound difference for sure.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

if you can't get the twang with a fender amp, i don't think you are going to achieve it with any amp, and, at bedroom or basement levels.

play music!

fenderchamp likes this.
  6. SonicBlueByYou

SonicBlueByYou TDPRI Member

Thanks to all for the input, I appreciate your time.

Today fate intervened. ;-). Sweetwater’s ‘65 Princeton Reverb in tweed with a 12” C Rex for $999? I found one today, 2 months old and mint, for $700 shipped. Can’t lose.

Once it gets here and verified, I intend to flip the BJr for at least the $450 I paid for it. I may swap C Rex’s as the one in the BJr is already broken in, and hemp speakers take a while to do that.

If I want crunchy at low levels I have a Fulltone Plimsoul pedal.

Whatizitman and tarheelbob like this.
  7. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

On the amp... play that Princeton AS - IS. Do not change the Speaker, you might be surprised how good it sounds . Congrats , you made the right decision.

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

60% is an extremely conservative rating...

Lawdawg likes this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Probably! I do think it's pretty hard to twang on Gibsons or most humbucker pickups in general -- Gretsch being an obvious exception to this of course.

@SonicBlueByYou -- let us know how the amp works out. Sounds like you got a great deal on it!

10. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Good choice to go with the Princeton since you're looking for twang. Any speaker is fine. Upgrading speakers give a different sound, not necessarily better. I've always just used stock speakers.

As Wally points out the BJ is loosely based on the 5F6A tweed bassman as are early Marshall amps. Great for rock and blues but not the best amps for twang. Any black face or silver face fender or amp based on those will be a much better choice for twang. BF/SF amps without a middle essentially have the middle pre-set at about 4 giving that scooped tone you're looking for.

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  11. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Here is my TWANG corner.

'63 Black face Twin Reverb with a 15 inch Black Widow
    '65 PRRI Surf green / white with Celestion Greenback 10 inch
    '65 PRRI Orange / white with Weber 150K 10 inch
    '65 Deluxe Reverb RI with Jensen 12 inch

IMG_5794.JPG IMG_5796.JPG

SonicBlueByYou likes this.
  12. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

Quote:
    “My guitars have pretty much stayed the same, but with amps I’ve been all over the place. For the show, someone suggested Kenny and I go to a silverface Fender Princeton. I did, and I add a little boost on top, and that’s it. We use them on the show, and that’s all I used on the record. I’ve found the true tone of my guitar in that Princeton. It’s the way to go for what I’m up to. It rings like a bell and in the control room, it’s tight and bigger than the world. I’ll use it on gigs, too, unless the room is too big. Then I’ll go back to a couple of Fender Twins.”

Marty Stuart
    https://www.vintageguitar.com/8547/marty-stuart-3/

13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Twang....? Gretsch, Dynas, and Duane Eddy's fingers.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

I hate to spoil the party (not really), but the twang is pretty much in the fingers. Any clean amp with a compressor pedal can get you there as long as your technique is up to the challenge.

I daresay that Steve Vai could twang on his Jem through the Carvin amps if he wanted to. :lol:

Oh, and Marty's tone is thick and chewy. Don Rich's tone was thin and crispy. (Bonus points if you know the reference. ;))

Les H likes this.
  15. SonicBlueByYou

:D I certainly realize that most of twang comes from the fingers, but when is an excuse to buy a nice Amp a bad idea? ;)

Fine bunch of enablers some of you are! LOL

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  16. Donnie L

Donnie L TDPRI Member

I have two blues juniors with BillM mods and in the studio I use my Princeton reverb 1973 with Paul C and Stokes mods, adjustable bias - I think for clean country the BJ is a little better , a Princeton is a little more compressed sound because mainly of the tube rectifier as the Bj is a solid state rectifier ...it’s a subtle difference , and the Princeton really should be adjustable bias rather than it’s stock bias ... most of the time Fender bias’ the amps on the hot side - also the output of a Princeton will break up a little bit more early since it’s really 12 watts with 6V6’s ... they’re both great but there so much in the SAME ball park

17. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

You know..... There was a David Lee Roth song called Knucklebones where Steve does a little chicken-pickin to kick the lead off lol!

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If it were me, I'd get a secondhand PRRI and an Alessandro GA-12 SC64. Classic Fender tone and a great sounding speaker.

Or - a late SF Princeton, and have an immortal appreciating asset. Still reasonable dollars, and only worth more in future.

19. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Many have said that the Princeton is a great choice, and I would echo the same sentiment. Another can of worms that you may want to open is an attenuator - you can get more out of the amp without melting faces - that low wattage PRRI is still a loud amp! I find that they sound best at a volume that's not usually practical for home practice.

All the usual disclaimers, YMMV, dealer retains all rebates, offer not valid in Hawaii, Puerto Rico or Alaska.

20. SonicBlueByYou

Update: the Sweetwater C Rex version of the Princeton arrived. Less than 15 minutes with it proved that my C Rex equipped BJR was expendable, and is currently listed on eBay.

A few hundred hours invested with it and my Tele may lead me to rethink the C Tex speaker, but the Amp is staying.

Thanks all for the input.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.