1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Amp question for twang junkies

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SonicBlueByYou, Dec 4, 2019.

1. SonicBlueByYou

SonicBlueByYou TDPRI Member

Alrighty, please help me spend or save some cash! :D

I have a tweed Blues Junior with all the BillM mods including aftermarket upgraded reverb tank and a Cannabis Rex speaker.

I am wondering if this Sweetwater exclusive amp would be more better for achieving that classic country twang with my 52 RI Hot Rod Tele.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp-lacquered-tweed

For those in the know, what tonal difference would you predict between this Sweetwater amp and the one I already own? Thanks for the input.

Edited to add: 90% of this plus will be bedroom levels, entertaining myself in my basement.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The only way for you to answer this question is to find a dealer with a PR and go try it.

In general terms, yes the Princeton does classic scooped tones with real tube driven reverb plus a lovely bias-wiggle tremolo. As distinct from the solid-state driven reverb of the BJ. The BJ to my mind is more a modern sounding amp with more mids and of course EL84s compared to 6V6s in the PR.

You may find the classic PR sound is not what you want compared to the more aggressive BJ.

3. SonicBlueByYou

SonicBlueByYou TDPRI Member

I appreciate the input. This particular Princeton is different than the standard Fender Princeton as it comes with a 12 inch C Rex speaker and not the standard 10 inch.

For sound, I want something that Don Rich or Marty Stuart would play and say, “that’s nice, why don’t they make them all like that?”

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The speaker will affect the tone but the amp.is the amp is the amp. So if you went and played a standard one, it will be a little less loud and probably milder - but still sound similar.

For Don and Marty sound, yes a PR with C-rex should get you not just in the ballpark but within spitting distance of the pitcher's mound.

5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

My main amp in my cover band is a Princeton clone with a 12"

Absolutely love it

Now... if you are only to play it in your basement and you are happy with the BJ... why bother? pass on the PR. You will save 1K $

If you are in a doubt, don't do it

Alter, RadioFM74, MilwMark and 2 others like this.
  6. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I briefly owned a BJ. Had a couple of BillM mods done to it... tone stack and whatever. It still didn’t sound like a Fender to me. I cut my teeth playing through a Rivera era Concert. And, true, that’s not a classic circuit Fender either, it was a helluva lot closer than a BJ will ever be.

So, long story short, I traded the BJ away as soon as I could.

I know a handful of players here are BJ enthusiasts. But they just don’t have enough... something... for me. Sure, the label says Fender. But, blindfolded, it sure doesn’t sound like one.

I vote go for the PR. But you WILL need an OD pedal for basement playing. Those babies need to be cranked to break up naturally.

Rockinvet and Alter like this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, the Blues Jr, like the other Blues and Hot Rod amp’s, is based in the tweed world since it is loosely drawn from the 5F6A Bassman. The Princeton, like Hatfiled’s Concert, is based on the AB763 preamp....scooped mids.
    Twang?? Ime, the modern interpretation of that term is somewhat different from the original meaning of twang; so it is hard to know what sound one particular person is wanting. Twang used to mean a clean, sound with a sharp attack and good sustain. I have heard modern Nashville sounds called twang that imho were distorted sounds with a lot of fret rattle.

for my purposes, the Prin Rev is more of a twang machine than the Blues Jr. ommv.

8. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

What he said.

Kontaktmoi and Wally like this.
  9. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have owned both. My fully BillM modded BJr with a Cannabis Rex speaker was nice, but I sold it the minute I got my Princeton and have never once regretted that decision. The Princeton will do Marty-esque twang all day long with a Tele that the BJr. cannot match.

And, since blackface Princetons and Deluxes are what Marty actually uses, I think your answer is right in front of you.

- Bob

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you really want a big clean twangy sounding amp for country, why not get a twin or a big old solid state peavey, and a compressor. Any amp named a "blues anything" is probably not what you want.

Princetons are nice and all, but really they are kind of small wattage, dirty little things if you push them enough to get any compression out of them, even with a ''12, which probably won't clean it up any, but will just make it a bit louder.

I think going from a blues jr to a princeton is probably just moving from one basically dirty little amp to another, I wouldn't claim they sound the same though.

Also maybe try a JBL or a EV speaker that is really clean and clear and efficient, I have a '12 EV in a pine cabinet with a 5F1 and that thing get's pretty loud pretty fast.

I mean, if you are just playing a little by yourself at home maybe the princeton would be fine?

oh my... I think this topic has been broached before on tdpri...

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/buck-owens-don-rich-tone.538338/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/don-rich-buckaroos-tone.582787/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/don-rich-amp-tone.198600/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/don-rich-and-the-buckaroos.68739/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/don-rich-speakers.451867/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/best-fender-amp-for-60s-country-music-sound.982328/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/is-a-twin-reverb-the-only-way-to-bakersfield-country-tone.124771/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/suggested-amp-eq-settings-form-twang.745426/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/best-country-fender-amp.953299/

Tim S likes this.
  11. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

IMO from personal experience... The Princeton is "sweeter" sounding. And the Blues Jr with the stock speaker is a little harder sounding... but the BJ is incredibly useful as it has a master.

Idk what your version of "bedroom" means. But if it's at all close to mine, then remember the PR is still a very loud amp (basically true of all tube amps)

That said, I love my PR for bedroom use.

I also have one of these and love it too:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...zz-chorus-30-watt-2x6.5-inch-stereo-combo-amp

They both sound awesome. But the JC is nearly indestructible and weighs nothing. (or about 10lbs less than the PR)

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

fully agree with wally - also a great bf tube reverb helps a good twang imho

twangjeff likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Both are great sounding amps, it's just up to you. The Blues Jr has that punchy twang to it. The Princeton can be close with the right speaker but wont have that EL84 tube punchy mids as much.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I own a 20 year old BJ that is admittedly the more midrange/ tweed tone but I like it for everything ( I goose it with a Blues Driver, which does add a little twang and presence)- it also has am EMI ' Lil Texas Neo speaker

But I have a friend who has a stock ( years old) Tweed BJ version that came with the Jensen ( albeit Italian RI) C-12 N and it is a very twangy amp, with that bright speaker- sounds more BF/SF than mine

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Ditto to what others have said. The Princeton will have a more scooped sweeter tone perfect for twang and will be plenty clean at bedroom volume.

All that said, I find that twang is about 30% in the guitar, 60% in the fingers and only about 10% in the amp. Just my long way of saying that only you can decide if the Princeton is really $1000 better for a twang tone than your current amp.

fenderchamp and Tim S like this.
  16. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

You can get a nice twangy tone with either amp. The Princeton would be a more traditional choice, but I saw Wayne Hancock play recently and his lead guitarist played the whole night with a great, old school twangy sound with a Tele into a Blues Junior with only a tuner pedal in between.

PingGuo likes this.
  17. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I've had three BJs over the years (OMG, I just realized what that read like! Oh, well...) and never bonded with any of them. I found the sound boxy, even with a speaker upgrade to a JBL E120. After I did that, my buddy was helping me move equipment and SURPRISE!, the amp weighed about 18 lb more than it had previously. Wish I'd had a camera... Ennyhoo, I had a PRRI, and loved the sound, but for gigging, it broke up waaaaay too early for me, but for lower volume situations, it was plenty "Fendery," producing the classic twang. Between the two, PRRI all the way!

18. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I think the Princeton is what you want. I play a Pro Jr (also much modded in major ways), which I much prefer over the BJ, but both amps have an inherently different fundamental "sound" and response than the Princeton. You can make the BJ work, but the Princeton is from the get-go designed to do what you are looking for. It is a great amp, period. BTW, the choice b/w a 10 or 12 inch speaker can be significant. I like solid low end, but I prefer a 10 in speaker because it responds faster and with greater clarity than most 12s. (I have a bigger OT in the amp and can deliver plenty of low end drive.) A 12 is a safe choice because, well, it's a pretty standard do-all tone generator, but I like a 10 in a Princeton myself. But in any configuration, from any year, really, old/new, used, abused, Princetons rule.

19. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I think the question contains the answer. Your heavily modified BJ doesn't give you what you want.

The PR is one of the all time great amps. For me, nothing beats that AB763 preamp. Best if you try it out, your amp not mine, but I would do it if I could. If need be, you can always stick an EQ pedal in front of it.

Just to play devil's advocate, I believe in learning to love the one you're with. That BJ of yours is a heck of an amp. Twang as it pertains to the amp is a frequency response thing. An EQ pedal might be all you need to get where you want to go.

If you do get an EQ, get a parametric like an Empress. The sliders on graphic pedals never quite hit the exact spots to match the sound in your head. You need to control the center freq, width, and boost/cut to really nail it.

20. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

bj is a great amp but to me princeton is a nobrainer for your situation.good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.