Fender amp needs new on off switch

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Rockinvet, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

I have a Super Champ Rivera era amp that the on off switch needs replacing. Sometimes it turns on sometimes I have to wiggle it just to get the amp on so it’s time to replace. Sooo... the question is for a $4 switch what would be a reasonable repair price or should I just discharge the caps and do it myself? I’m not a tech I’m a player but the last time I went in for an amp repair the bill was rather high albeit the guy did a good job. Don’t want to bore you with the details. I highly respect techs and will pay a reasonable price I just don’t know what that should be. I’m in the mid Atlantic region east coast.

2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

That seems like a repair that could be completed for the bench fee + parts. Most places charge a standard fee for the first 1 hour of labor (bench fee) - often between $50-$70 IME.

Do you have a soldering iron? Have you been inside an amp before? If it is truly just the switch this is a simple repair that a beginner could do with some guidance from forum members.

Edit to add: looking at some gut shots, it looks like the on/off is a regular Carling SP/ST like this:

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...MI_MKr7vCe5wIVCaCzCh2ongXJEAQYASABEgJaYPD_BwE

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like being able to repair my own crap... Always have been. But, mostly because I've been 'less than rich' my whole life. I've always HAD to learn how to fix things.

I will also say that I enjoy fixing things and knowing I can fix my stuff. I like not waiting several weeks for the repair guy to get around to my job, or for a part to arrive, etc.

So, my answer will always be, learn how to fix it yourself. Be safe, discharge the caps, check it with a multimeter. But, go for it!

Rockinvet likes this.
  4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Thank you. Pretty much that type of switch will do. I also found one on amplifier parts. I also put an extension jack in this amp chassis so, I've been in there before. BUT Like an idiot i did not discharge the caps the last time even though it was uneventful. My previous amp tech walked me through the scenario and he said I could easily discharge the caps. He's no longer in the business. Just need to get a 20 watt restore and I'm in business. Seems like such a waste to pay a full hour bench fee for such a simple repair unless I can get a flat fee for.

jondanger likes this.
  5. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Thank you, appreciate the encouragement.

Axis29 likes this.
  6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Any time!

I will tell you that I lucked into a deal on a vintage amp... It was a mess. Several folks here told me to walk away. I'd never actually done any real amp work before. I'd done some electronic stuff, but nothing like that! I did a lot of reading online, watched a good bit of youtube videos and dug in... I ended up gutting the amp and restoring the circuit back to original (I did a thread about it here). That amp easily became my #1 and I cannot imagine being without it. I've since rebuilt another amp, and replaced caps on one, and trouble shot some others. Now, I don't think twice about popping covers off and digging into amps. Something I would have been very intimidated by five or ten years ago. But, a set of skills, I am very grateful for, and also continuing to try to grow!

7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

That’s awesome! Very encouraging.

Axis29 likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You can do that yourself. Get the right Carling switch and dont go cheap.
    -Unplug the amp.
    -Turn the standby switch on if it has one.
    -Ground the power tube solder tab (where the output tranny attaches, usually one blue & one brown) to the chassis with an insulated handle screwdriver for a few seconds. It will spark lightly. Do this on both tubes. Usually pin 3 for 6V6 or 6L6 tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.