1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender American Special bridge CS Texas Special pickup tone and height

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Francesco Chieffo, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Francesco Chieffo

Francesco Chieffo NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone, I bought a 2017 Fender Telecaster American Special a few months ago. Unlike many reviews I've read, I find the frets very comfortable and I appreciate the feel of the neck, but I have some difficulty getting the tones I'm looking for, especially with the bridge pickup.

First I should say that to record I mainly use the simulation of the Strymon Iridium's Fender Deluxe Reverb, not being able to use the amp at the right volumes where I live.

My problem is that by setting the amp mainly to the sound of the neck pickup I use most (basically jazz sound), when I switch to the bridge I get too brittle sound. Obviously pulling back the trebles on the amp or pedal I lose the sparkle in the top end.

I tried experimenting with the pickup height trying to maintain a balance of volume and a balanced blend in the center position, but unless I roll of the tone control on the guitar about 70% making the sound too muffled in the low middle register, the bridge pickup always seems too edgy to me.

The tone I'm looking for is Jim Oblon's in Nancy, or Julian Lage's Revelry.

Do you have any suggestions? Should I look for other pickups or change something in the guitar setup?

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I’d bet you won’t get your perfect bridge tone AND your perfect neck tone with the same amp setting.

BUT, first lower the neck pickup and especially lower the low E side of the neck pickup. This will make the neck tone not bassy enough.
    Then turn up the bass on the amp to compensate for the less bass from the pickup.

That means now the bridge tone is a bit warmer from the boosted bass.
    The bridge pickup may also be too bassy with that setting so lower the low E side of the bridge pickup too.

I keep my bridge pickup close to the high E string.
    That means the string has more volume, but that also gets a less thin tone.

Lowering the pickup makes the tone thinner, and raising it makes the tone fatter.

Last, you have to play differently on the bridge pickup to get warmer tone.
    Pick closer to the neck to control excess treble.
    If all that isn’t enough, you might need a hotter darker bridge pickup.

hamerfan and Francesco Chieffo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.