Fender American Performer Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jackson753, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:14 PM.

1. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Am I right in thinking that the only Telecaster available with Jumbo frets is the Performer? These look to me to be a good option if you want Jumbo frets. Can anyone school me regards this series? I'm a bit late to the party but I've been attracted to what I've seen on line. One thing I'm unsure about is the weight as I'm not looking for anything heavy.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Jackson, these are normally made of alder, so they're almost never really light, but I can't recall playing one that was really heavy. Alder is typically a "middling to heavy" wood and ash can be anything from super light to super heavy.

Also, look for used examples of the American Special and some but not all Highway Ones, for this simply huge fretwire. There could be a Signature model or two with this huge wire, but I can't visualize one.

SpringTank likes this.
  3. Pickingthru

Pickingthru TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I bought one last year for my first Tele. Still trying to figure out what jumbo frets add to playability. By coincidence, I did weigh mine tonight after the weight seed was planted on another thread. Eight pounds.

4. SpringTank

SpringTank TDPRI Member

Only model with jumbo frets. Limited finishes with either a maple or rosewood fingerboard. Gig bag included, no hard case.

Yosemite pickups, thin c necks, comfortable and easy playing. The weight won't change very much considering they're older. The jumbo frets make them very slinky feeling and easy playing. Bends are very easy and almost so easy as to be kept in check.

Monty58 likes this.
  5. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Thank you all for the feedback.
    These do sound like a good buy to me.
    I watched a few videos on YouTube.
    This one stuck in my mind.

"Fender American Performer Series Telecaster | Mason Stoops Demo" on YouTube

Sounds good to me.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

6. Johnfrmcal

Johnfrmcal TDPRI Member

I have a 2019 in the Penny color. They are very nice guitars. And then I bought a 2017 American Special for super cheap. They are almost the same guitar, the American Special has jumbo frets as well. It's almost like they took the American Special, swapped out the Texas Specials for Yosemites, and added the greasebucket wiring and called it the Performer.

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

At first, I was turned off by the appearance of large frets on the American Performer. Then I played it. Wow, what a great playing guitar!

mine....

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.