Fender American Performer Strat Anyone?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by StuartJames, Dec 13, 2019.

1. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

How are people liking the Performer line? How are the Yosemite pups? I’m thinking about getting my first American strat, and I like the specs on this guitar. I recently tried and loved an old American standard, but I can get a brand new performer for basically the same price people seem to be asking for a used standard.

2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

See my Avatar? I've owned literally dozens of Strats over the course of 50 years, and my Performer is my favorite ever. The Yosemite pickups stay really clean and clear even with drive, more so than any other pickup I've ever tried, but are still pretty beefy and gutsy. I love the guitar and love these pickups too. If I could only have one, it would be the one. I was never a fan of the Fat 50s pickups in the Am Std, or the neck on them. The Performer is miles above them IMO.

3. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Thanks DougM. Sounds promising. The Am Standard I played was pre fat 50s, I thought the pickups sounded great in it. Haven’t had a chance to try the Performer yet but was hoping the Yosemite pups would be in the same ball park. Do you find the extra pickup options useful?

4. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I love mine. The only thing with the Yosemite pickups that I've noticed is that they are a bit hotter than most Strat pickups I've played, so I had to lower them more than I'm used to to get a sound I like. However, the hotter pickups provides more clarity and more balls, so I like them better than any other Strat I've ever had.

And I love the big headstock.

NewKid and DougM like this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Love it!

Attached Files:

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

He's asking about the Am Performer. Yours is an Am Pro, which I also have, and is a great Strat too, but different model.

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've been using the two additional sounds more lately, and they're fun, and IMO don't sound anything like any of the other five sounds on a Strat. I kinda thought the neck and bridge together would sound like the middle position on a Tele, but it doesn't really. It has its own unique sound going on.

8. Suho

Suho Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I bought the New Penny Strat, andI love it. The neck feels great. I wanted a big headstock and vintage 6- screw trem, and it is awesome. I actually loved the Yosemite pickups. Way more than I thought I would. I swapped them out for a set of Rio Grandes I had been waiting to install..... It had nothing to do with the stock pickups. I'm tricking it out with as much copper hardware as I can. I call her the Copper Queen. Get one, you'll love it.

stnmtthw likes this.
  9. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Finally got a chance to test drive one today, plugged it into a fender amp for half hr... it felt great, I was impressed with the neck. I thought the extra switching options all sounded really good to. How have you Performer owners got your trem set up, floating or decked?

10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's a great feeling neck. Not too fat or too thin. It feels just right, but the jumbo frets did take a little time to get used to. As far as the bridge, all my Strats are floating. It ain't a Strat otherwise. I don't do dive bombs, but I like to put some vibrato on a sustained note or chord, and it sounds way better, and more in tune, if you do that by wiggling the bar by pulling it up. If you do it by pushing down it sounds out of tune to me.

11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Love mine, bought in Oct

Pups are fairly balanced. Play clean-- so am happy.

12. Suho

Suho Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I tend too keep it toward being decked. There might be a little play but not much.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  13. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mine's decked and blocked

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.