Fender american original series or custom shop

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Anibal1994, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Anibal1994

Anibal1994 NEW MEMBER!

There really is a difference betwin a fender custom shop and a Fender american original series ?

I want to get that telecaster overdrive blues tone,like Roy Buchanan

Is a fender custom shop really necessary?

2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Depends how much you want to pay to chase a tone. Personally, I think it's the player that makes the difference.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    wrvond, mimmo, Anibal1994 and 4 others like this.
  3. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I'll subscribe as I've been wondering as well. Have my eye on a RW 50s Tele too.

Anibal1994 likes this.
  4. navier

navier TDPRI Member

^ I recently got a RW 50s and... GASing even strongly than ever for a CS :(

Edit: Do you mean Road Worn or Rosewood? :confused:

Clifton C likes this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMHO, yes there's a difference. Is it necessary to pay the extra money for a Custom Shop in order to get a great playing and sounding instrument: No. A Fender production line guitar with a good set up can be an excellent guitar to have for a lifetime. Don't sweat the money stuff, it gets in the way of the music and the fun.;)

Alter, wrvond, Sinner1980 and 2 others like this.
  6. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Find the one with the neck you like the best. Then talk to Don Mare about pickups for chasing Roy's sound.

Greggorios and wrvond like this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t believe in chasing tone. It’s an exercise in futility. But I believe you can find tone. I can’t compare a CS Telecaster with an MIA but I can describe my experience with Stratocaster.

I have an American Standard Stratocaster. I wasn’t really chasing tone. I was trying to subdue noise. I replaced the pickups with VN and the noise was gone but the tone, especially in positions 2 and 4 was different. I got a CS Strat last November. I actually won it. I posted about it at the time. The pickups are CS ‘69 with the bridge pickup reverse angled. The tone is nothing I could have even dreamed of. It’s exactly what I want for my tone. And the noise and hum is at a barely noticeable level except with high gain settings I never use. So is CS better? The shielding probably is. There are things that are difficult to get any other way. But my real point is you won’t know if there’s magic in the wood until you play it. I’d never have picked what I won if I ordered a CS Strat and I’d never have found the magic. That’s what I mean by finding rather than chasing tone. Is CS worth the asking price? I can’t answer that but I can say the magic is priceless. The only advice I can give is to keep looking until you find it.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

That tone really doesn't have anything to with the country of origin or the price point...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Fendereedo likes this.
  9. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

If you have the chance to play both side by side then you can see for yourself. I have been fortunate to have two Teles from the custom shop. A 51 Nocaster and a 59 Toploader Esquire. IMHO, there is a discernible difference. Is it worth the price? Only you can decide that.

Kontaktmoi, 53Strat and wrvond like this.
  10. wrvond

wrvond TDPRI Member

Just my opinion, worth every penny you pay for it:
    Unless you know exactly what you want in a neck shape, finish, fret board, body, colors, pickups and wiring circuit, you stand a very good chance of getting a CS you don't really like.
    An American Series can be had for not a lot of money and you can wire different circuits and swap pickups to your hearts content.
    It can be quite the learning experience!

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

I have both. The Custom shop is a Nocaster and it does sound better and feel better. Big old neck on it. I don't love the vintage frets but thats not a huge deal. With that being said the AO 50's is a fantastic guitar as well. Neck is smaller. Sounds different. Love the vintage tall frets! It is easier to play, but thats mostly due to the frets. Is the Custom Shop worth the extra money? To me it is.

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  12. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

For me, the price of the Fender Custom stuff doesn't compare well with what many of the boutique builders are doing.

Hint: There's a really, really nice custom boutique tele-style in the classifieds right now. (I have one like it!).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Greggorios likes this.
  13. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

If you've got the money, go Custom Shop - you won't regret it.

JL_LI and Kontaktmoi like this.
  14. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Yep, that combination ( Strat) with the 69 Pickups is HEAVEN. In fact I bought 2 sets of Handwounds '69 ( Josephina Campos) for use in some other CS Strats... MAGIC!

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.