1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender American Original 70s Telecaster but no Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jackson753, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I do like the the look of this series.
    The 70s Telecaster does have the new CuNiFe pick up. I thought I'd pick up a Deluxe however they don't appear to offer one. Is there a Deluxe that's offered with the new Fender CuNiFe pick ups?

Or alternatively I guess one route would be to buy a Vintera and swap out the pick ups?

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Posted on the CuNiFe pickup thread:

To date they've only done a Tele Deluxe and 70s-style Thinline with the CuNiFe pickups in the Custom Shop.

There have been rumors and hints - or at least wishful thinking on the part of reporters and reviewers - of a possible American Original Tele Deluxe but nothing has been announced. With the January 2021 NAMM show already cancelled who knows how Fender is going to handle product announcements that they normally would have done for the show.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  3. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

IMG_5484.jpeg Thanks for this information.
    I will be patient.
    I have some guitars I can sell and keep a fund going until the day. The Custom does sound good but I really want the Deluxe. Or even that thinline that has two wide range humbuckers.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Could the Custom be more versatile?
    I've been listening to a lot of Norm's demos and it does sound like a very versatile guitar.

5. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

The AV 72 Custom was released early last decade if I remember correctly. It was discontinued then brought back under the AO name with these new pickups. I think that a Deluxe would cost too much and even if they do release they are probably going to be few extra hundred dollars. The pickups are rare so I don't know if they want to put 2 on a guitar. Same thing is probably applied to the Thinline.

6. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I'm liking the Custom the more I listen to it. It's got to be a bit more versatile than the Deluxe?

TomNYC likes this.
  7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I’d be very interested if there was an AO’72 Thinline... the Gibson-style controls on the Deluxe and Custom do my head in, I’m much happier with Volume, Tone and a 3-way switch down low.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  8. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

They are both nice. I'm guessing you haven't played either before? The old models had a very different radius fretboard and this added to a different feel. I really like the 12" radius on the Deluxe. The 7.25" radius on the Custom gives it a more traditional Telecaster neck feel. The new ones all have modern 9.5" radius. I think an older model of either would sound great with aftermarket pickups.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love vintage WRHBs. I haven't tried the new fender cunife ones so I can't comment on those.

But even as someone who loves the pickup, I think it works far better in the neck position than in the bridge.

What is cutting and bright and detailed in the neck position becomes harsh and brash and even a bit flat in the bridge, with WRHBs, IME. I never seemed to be able to dial that out in the bridge to be honest. @Telenator knows a lot more about them and may have ideas how to dial in a bridge WRHB to (a) have a beautiful sound and (b) balance right with a neck WRHB in the process. I could never quite get there.

Tele Custom on the other hand? Brilliant. I have a '73. It came to me with a shorted coil in the bridge pickup and rather than rewind it I popped in a Duncan Hot rails. Damn if that doesn't balance Perfectly with the neck WHRB, sound great in the middle position, and (bonus surprise) actually sounds and feels a LOT like what I hoped a bridge WHRB would sound like on its own, but could never achieve.

I've talked to a few folks over the years who love old WHRBs and also found that a bridge one gave them trouble, so I don't think I'm entirely alone in that assessment. But I could be mostly an aberration.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Telenator suggested that the solution would be to move the bridge pickup away from the bridge - obviously if you are doing a custom build or a partscaster.

To me, that bridge pickup is fine as is, very telecastery. Me like :)

MilwMark likes this.
  11. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Likewise, I have always thought the true magic of the WRHB was in the neck position. The bridge position was good at best, moving it away from the bridge in a custom built is the real answer. WRHBs like a lot of string movement.

I have had some success with the bridge position magnets a bit different than the neck.

I have set the row magnets closest to the bridge lower, and raised the row furthest from the bridge a bit so pickup up more of the sound toward the neck than the bridge.
    You'll have to remove the bridge pickup to lower the hidden magnets. Don't raise the 3 hidden magnets in the forward row though. They're usually right up against the underside of the cover.

When you re-install the pickup, use the 4 screws to set the pickup on a tilt lowering part closest to the bridge below the front edge of the pickup. This will give you more signal from the forward coil and less from the rear. It helps.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  12. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's quite ingenious, @Telenator, thanks! I might not go as far as too remove the cover, though. I might screw something up in the process, I'm afraid.

13. SbS

SbS Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm trying to assemble T-Style Thinline / Custom hybrid with Fender CuNiFe WRHB neck (new) and P-90 style bridge pickup (P-92). Maybe starting tomorrow..

14. Telenator

No! Don't remove the cover! The 6 hidden screws are easily accessible when you remove the pickup from the guitar body. Just give the 3 back row magnets a good full turn counter-clockwise turn to make them lower. Leave the front row 3 hidden magnets alone.
    When you put the pickup back into the body, raise the 3 exposed forward row magnets, and lower the 3 exposed back row magnets. Then tilt the pickup with the height adjustment screws. Just a little.

AAT65 and Piotr like this.
  15. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

s-l1600-4.jpg

16. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I also found this picture.

s-l1600-1.jpg

17. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I have heard tales of an AO Deluxe coming "later this year."

I'm still torn on these. I have one of the MIM pre-revoiced '72 Thinlines (2007 model), and the build and feel is stellar. I don't hate on the pups as much as many, and have done battle in my head as to whether to replace them with the new a la carte CuNiFes, or maybe pick up one of the AO Customs... But really want to hear the new pups in person first. Some online demos sound great to my ears, some sound, not bad, but maybe not as well suited to my style of playing.

Fender just raised prices on the AO Customs $50, which puts them at $1,949... And psychologically that's a million miles from $1,899 to me, so I cooled off.

I'm pretty close to just getting a set of the new CuNiFes and putting them in the Thinline (once Fender has them in stock again). If I don't like them I could always sell them along. Decisions!

18. Telenator

I'm looking forward to hearing some wired up to 1 meg pots. That's how you get THE sound.

19. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

This is an interesting comparison. All caps (.22) and pots (1K) are the same values. @Telenator , what do you think? To my ears, the Vintage still sound best, followed by the Creamery (even without CuNiFe). The new ones don't seem to have the same chime and bloom. (Talking strictly clean -- with overdrive they all sound surprisingly close.)

20. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Original pick up for the neck is £450 here in the UK. For one.
    Is it worth it?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.