Fender American Original 60s Slab Rosewood neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Aug 25, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

After trying the '51 Fat U neck and buying a set of nut files with great success, I'm now thinking about putting an American Original 60s neck on my White Blonde 50s Classic Lacquer model.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this neck (as a spare part rather than on the A0 60s guitar) and if they know what size tuner holes it comes with as it doesn't say on the Fender site or any adverts I've seen. Ideally I'll just swap over my Classic 50s tuners rather than have to pay out for another set. It's an expensive neck, so trying to keep additional expense down if possible.

This is the neck in question:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-a...ginal-60s-Tele-Neck-RW-V-Shape-95-Radius/2W8E

It'll give me a similar look to the Jimmy Page Mirror Telecaster, without the signatures or 7.25" radius (as I fancy a change from 7.25").

All the pictures I've seen show a different logo on the headstock compared to the AO60s guitar (this spare part neck shows 'Custom Telecaster'). I'm not really bothered either way, but just seems odd that the two don't match.

2. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I’ve been looking at this AO replacement neck as well for my American Special in Daphne Blue. There’s one for $599 on Stratosphere versus $699 everywhere else.

1. It takes the vintage tuners (so you can use the ones you have)
    2. It says “Custom Telecaster” on the headstock because all the AO 60s Teles have double-binding on the body.

In the end I’ve decided to just get a Player Strat for $675 or less for a used one. It would be my fourth in line guitar and first Strat.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The AO’60s Teles that went on sale do all say Custom Telecaster like that parts neck — some of the prototypes and early review models didn’t and hence there are some inconsistent photos around.
    BTW I think they are round-laminated rather than slab fingerboards.

For my money they are very comfortable, I find the AO’50s neck a bit too chunky.

Fretting out and KelvinS1965 like this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the feedback; makes sense about the headstock saying 'custom' since they are double bound. I've found a good deal for less than the link I posted, but I'm researching about the supplier first as I found some negative reviews about them: If I go with them and it works out OK I will post a link, but I'm reluctant to promote them until then.

I'm not 100% sure about the difference between round lam and slab, so my apologies if I used the wrong term in my thread title.

AAT65 likes this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn’t put that neck on anything that wasn’t a double bound telecaster.

Sax-son and Crobbins like this.
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Because it says 'custom' on the head stock or the looks? Personally I like the look of white Fenders with rosewood fingerboards.

The trouble is that there aren't really any other options if I want a Fender neck with a rosewood board, especially with 9.5" radius that will take slot head tuners. I can get a PF MIM neck with 7.25" radius, but that's hardly much of a change from what I have now, possibly a slight difference in the neck profile, but I'd have to do some research.

I don't want to buy a non Fender neck as it opens the can of worms about the logo and I'm not really keen on putting a Fender logo on a neck that isn't Fender, but I don't want a blank headstock either. I can live with it saying 'custom' on the headstock though if I go for the AO60s one.

If I went with getting a double bound body I might as well just buy a whole AO 60s guitar, but I'm not keen on double bound bodies myself; too glitzy for a Tele IMHO. I'd still be left with a Tele that needs re-fretting or a new neck, just that I then have another guitar that I don't really need: I now have the Esquire project, my avatar Tele with neck humbucker and the White Classic 50s with the traditional two single coils, so that covers all I need/want from a Tele to be honest. I can see how people end up with loads of Tele partscasters though. :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  7. rze99

All about what you want so go for whatever it is and don't be put off be anyone. That's what I do!!
    And yes I have loads of parts builds. Way to many. I have to sell some!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  8. rze99

sorry messed up - use "click to expand" to see my other answers to your points

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is not a SLAB rosewood neck but a ROUNDLAM.
    Which is MUCH better in my book anyhow (stiffer and more rigid/spanky).

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Got that thanks, I'm sure I've seen some of your guitars, which have maybe even subconsciously fed my White Tele/rosewood fingerboard desires. :D

I was going to try out the Jimmy Page mirror Tele when Guitar Village had one in stock, but didn't get round to it. I doubt they'd have given me much of a trade in for my White Classic 50s Tele though and I hate trying sell guitars privately. However, I don't really know much of Page's music beyond a few of the more obvious Led Zeplin songs, so I wouldn't really want a guitar with his name on it (even though it's out of sight mostly on the back) as I'd feel a fraud. I just like the look of it, hence this project...

11. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Nearly 600 for a guitar neck prices are insane !!

12. rze99

But the CNC machines have been breathed on by an American...

netgear69 likes this.
  13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Turns out RZE99 saw the same deal as me on Muziker where the neck was mid £400 mark. Unfortunately I procrastinated and they have gone back up to high £500 mark and not in stock at the moment. :(

I've been looking at alternatives such as the Allparts 10" rosewood TRO-C but they are out of stock at the moment. I just don't like that I'd be taking a decent MIM Telecaster and putting a no-name headstock on it rather than one with a Fender logo on it...It's still a partscaster I guess. I could of course put a decal on it, but I wouldn't feel right and I'm sure I'd get plenty of flack for doing that on here if I did.

I keep looking at the Classic Series 60s PF neck, but it's a 7.25" radius with vintage frets, so not really any different from the neck on my Classic 50s that I want to re-fret/replace. On the plus side all this procrastinating is saving me money. :D

14. rze99

Mate - so sorry I was first to the discounted neck.

I’m a great believer in strike while it’s hot worry later and it’s served me very well in the balance in business and I take a JDI (just do it) to life and then reflect later.

PM me about necks if you are so minded.

I have so many good builds I am parting out (officially... ) that I have some great Fender rosewood fretboard necks available. I just don’t like eBay and all the rest.

I am not a vendor I am just a guitar nut so deals are good.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  15. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

No worries...I was so close to clicking to buy it, but I found some poor reviews about Musiker, so it put me off. I guess I'm just a bit risk averse, though I guess buying a £450 neck un-seen is still a bit of a risk, since I've not even played an AO 60s Tele.

I've found another one but I'll have to wait as I won't be around for it to be delivered, so it may have gone by then.

16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Does Stratosphere not ship to the UK? They have a rosewood board Am. Performer neck for $399, an Am. Pro for $499, a Player neck for $219, Elite neck with Ebony board for $579. Lots of options, with and without tuners.

17. rze99

They do. Issues:

1. Dollar Pound conversion is crap

2. Postage is high cost.

3. UK customs slaps 20pc import duty.

4. CITEs cert.

It ain’t worth it.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Yes, RZE99 nailed it; I had been looking on Stratosphere a while back, but figured out every point in the post above...just not worth it for UK buyers.

19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

sorry, I didn't realize, 'cause we don't have such problems ordering from Europe, except maybe shipping, depending on what it is, and who the dealer is. Thomann ships guitars to anywhere in the US for $35! I can't get some dealers in the US to ship to Hawaii at any cost, let alone for $35.

20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

CITES shouldn't be a problem anymore though, because they've lifted the restrictions on finished guitars and guitar parts. Permits are only required now for raw lumber.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.