1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender American Nashville B-Bender Poor Tone

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by WashParkBob, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

FWIW from a realistic standpoint this only changes the travel of the tone control and the maximum amount of treble removed - not the minimum. In a passive circuit the cap simply shunts frequencies to ground; a .1uf will go to"mud" more than a /.047uf, which sounds muddier at full rolloff than a .022. While there is a (usually inaudible) amount of additional treble response when the tone control is not rolled off at all - which is not necessarily the best sound tonally - it won't make a pickup "sound better".

Mike makes a great point. If you are using a bigger amp and not turning it up very high (like aTwin on 2 1/2) one or more of your pickups can lack frequency response. - sometimes on the top end and almost certainly on the low end. You'll always get better sound out of the guitar using smaller amp that can be turned up enough to drive the speakers to full frequency response. With a larger amp that's often too loud to be practical.

2. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Haaa..with what I know about electronics, you could put it with a buck fifty and buy a cup of coffee at a cheap place....

string pull likes this.
  3. svaughan1

svaughan1 TDPRI Member

I'd start with having the wiring checked. Sounds a bit suspicious that the whole guitar sounds thin.

4. WashParkBob

WashParkBob TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the great input

5. hummingbyrd13

hummingbyrd13 TDPRI Member

I have one of these, and I must admit that I had to swap out every part of the guitar before finally settling on a feel/tone I was happy with. (In my defence, this transmogrification occurred over about 5 years!) Fully stock, it was '70s Les Paul-heavy with a dead, thin tone lacking any natural resonance. Of all the changes I made, the one that had the most significant (and beneficial) impact on the tone was swapping the bridge plate to a Glendale, which obviously you don't have to worry about! The stock bridge pickup was horrible - I swapped it for a Seymour Duncan APTL-3JD (Jerry Donahue) and have never looked back. I was also extremely fortunate to find a pair of original Red Rhodes Velvet Hammer '54 Strat pickups in a guitar show bargain bin for £40 - go figure. Even though I loved the stock Tele neck pickup, I had to swap it out for one of the VH's; it now lives in the neck position of my other Tele. I even swapped the neck (not neck pickup, the actual neck!) for one from a Baja Tele and in doing so completely threw away any resale value, but having a larger profile neck dramatically altered the instrument's sound - even acoustically! I also swapped the steel P/G Bender for an aluminium Hipshot unit. The Hipshot P/G is much lighter and has a far smoother action.

Basically, what I should have done was just gotten a sunburst Baja Tele and had a Parsons/White or Evans-style bender installed. But I was young and foolish and didn't know any better, so I stuck with it and am (at long last) very pleased with the result. It's the guitar that enters at about 10 seconds into this track, playing the clean, melodic lines in the left channel: https://kellerglass.bandcamp.com/album/pigeon-song I'm also playing fiddle on this recording - and that instrument had it's own set of problems, coming unglued shortly after this was recorded!

6. hummingbyrd13

hummingbyrd13 TDPRI Member

This is what it now looks like...

IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0897.JPG

asatfan likes this.
  7. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I think it was RoscoeE that mentioned the amp. IMHO after over 55 years of playing I've come to the conclusion that the amp is very important in the tone equation........ I'll bet you that I could probably take your amp and guitar and come up with a tone that you'd love. It's amazing what the bass and middle knobs are capable of..... You talk about the sound being thin, just back up the treble or turn up the bass it's no big thing.........JH in Va.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.