Fender American elite precision - 2017

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
Well, I had purchased this new. I prefer the precision sound, although some may say it's not a 'true' precision. I do like the sound, what I don't like is the neck. I much prefer the jazz neck profile. Just my luck, this had a limited run and I cannot find a drop-in jazz neck. The closest I can find, by photo, is the professional II. At that, finding the neck is still problematic. Anyone know if they are a fit? If so, I'll keep shopping around and hope. Meanwhile, I am playing my $150 2013 Squier VM Jaguar Bass special HB :)

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
yes. situation is my own fault. I thought that I could get used to the precision nut width and profile. Love the bass, hate the neck. I am going to start playing it more to see if I can adjust. Kind of doubtful at this point. I mean, I can play it fine just not comfortably.

And I certainly didn't expect a limited run and lack of parts. I have emails to Fender, the replies sounded .. uninformed? Was told a shim on one side of the neck pocket may be required.

20170405_181733.jpg

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
A shim would change the neck width and profile? 🙄 Who on earth are they hiring?

An Am Elite J neck should fit with no modifications, but it will be expensive. Probably more expensive than having a neck custom made.

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
pretty certain that they meant just a neck pocket wifth shim to have a standard neck fit. Thing is, this neck with it's extra fret doesn't have a fretboard overhang, the heel is deeper. To shim that would require a piece at the heel and it would be very visible. Whomever it was didn't look up the specs on the elite.

yes, a jazz elite neck would fit, I can't find one ☹️ I've seen a few necks that I might be able to fit (I'm rather handy having rebuilt amd modified plenty) but I'd rather avoid a partscaster designation. Nothing against those, I have many. I kind of want to keep this one all Fender since it's the only one that I have.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I prefer the precision sound, although some may say it's not a 'true' precision. I do like the sound, what I don't like is the neck. I much prefer the jazz neck profile
I too prefer the precision tone and the simplicity of one pickup. Like you I prefer the slimmer Jazz neck profile. I've always hoped that Fender would do a vintage modified to combine the two. I suppose it's too obvious and they'd rather come out with new puketastic colors or contorted offsets, etc.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Use your local classifieds. Somebody will straight swap you a good American Jazz for that. Maybe even another elite. I got my American Elite Jazz by listing my American elite strat for trade on Craigslist.

I just said I’d trade straight up for a high end American P or J bass. Totally worked. Though I was prepared to accept an American Standard or American Pro. I just needed a good bass at the time.

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
I have collector syndrome. I have trouble moving things along. I bought it new, trading for 'used' (or selling to buy a used that a jazz neck fits on) hits my brain wrong even though it's the sensible thing to do.

I'm going to gig with it this weekend, see how I do after 3 sets.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have collector syndrome. I have trouble moving things along. I bought it new, trading for 'used' (or selling to buy a used that a jazz neck fits on) hits my brain wrong even though it's the sensible thing to do.

I'm going to gig with it this weekend, see how I do after 3 sets.
I used to kinda be the same way. But then I learned to look at it objectively-

The minute it leaves the dealer, it’s a used instrument. If I really want to stretch it- If I take it home, leave all the tags and plastic coating on it, and never open the case again ever… the minute the return period expires it’s a used instrument. And that’s all it’s worth. Maybe “mint” pricing, but used just the same.

I also can’t afford to have them all, so if something doesn’t work for me, it goes away to get me something that does. Heck, even if something works GREAT for me, it could easily go away if I stumble onto something that works even better.

I traded my American Elite Jazz for a USA G&L SB-2. $$$ to $$$, I lost on the trade. But, I got a bass I like a whole lot more, so I won overall.

BTW- The SB-2 is basically a P with a Jazz neck. So is the SB-1. And it’s real hard to beat G&L quality. Just sayin.

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
I've looked at many G&L, not opposed yet I've never actually tried one. I've been playing my squier all this time and there's really nothing wrong with it. Lighter, stays in tune, good sound, jazz profile neck. My brain is being stupid :p

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've looked at many G&L, not opposed yet I've never actually tried one. I've been playing my squier all this time and there's really nothing wrong with it. Lighter, stays in tune, good sound, jazz profile neck. My brain is being stupid :p
Brains do that a lot. Mine is a legit ninja when it comes to convincing me of dumb stuff. Lol.

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
So, I gig'd with it Sat. It's a bit heavier and I really noticed it by the end of the evening .. then again, it may be because we had a 4th set when we normally only have 3. Truth be told, I think I have to use it from now on, I really like the sound oh so much better.

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
So .. I tracked down that the American Ultra should be a drop in .. can't find those either *sigh*
The P neck isn't horrible, I'll just accommodate myself to the neck rather than fighting it.

erratick

Tele-Holic
Good luck. I love a Precision with a Jazz neck.

My avatar bass is a strange one too- not many of them with the extra frets, no overhang.

There might be some that fit on Reverb now:

Stratosphere also is a good source for parts like that:

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
oof, cracked is tempting but I don't think that I want to set my bench back up to work on it. I stopped repairing a few years back. I do have a few necks waiting for a body. And I have a strat body hanging in my shed waiting on a finish coat. One bass neck should fit the elite but it's an off-brand.
20220614_201428.jpg

ps. ignore the spider webs 😁

FaithNicole

TDPRI Member
Good luck. I love a Precision with a Jazz neck.

My avatar bass is a strange one too- not many of them with the extra frets, no overhang.

There might be some that fit on Reverb now:

Stratosphere also is a good source for parts like that:

so, I got them to take a lower amount on the damaged neck and ordered it. I guess I need to clean up my workbench .. I hope that I don't regret it. I hope my spouse doesn't kill me 😳