Fender American Classic Series (AO Replacement?)

John C

Friend of Leo's
Retail street price for my '62 AVRI Telecaster bought new ten years ago in 2012 was $1,600. So this $1,700 estimate for 2022 dollars does not reflect reality.

I think I might have used a bad calculator site last time - I bought an AVRI '62 Strat in 1999 for roughly $1K street price - it might have been $1,050 before taxes - and on the calculator I used Sunday $1,000 in 1999 comes up at $1,713 in 2022. But when I use a different calculator today I come up with $1,735 instead. If I use $1,050 for the 1999 price it jumps to $1,822 in 2022 dollars using the calculator linked below.

I foolishly sold the 1999 Strat in 2000, so I bought another AVRI '62 Strat in 2002 for $1,200 street price; per this calculator that would be $1,928 in todays prices.

If I use your street price of $1,600 in 2012 in this calculator I get $2,015. So my mistake on using the lower amount from 1999 to come up closer to $1,700; the price I paid in 2002 and the price you paid in 2012 are pretty close in today's dollars.

This is always an interesting exercise; here is the calculator I was using today:

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I think I might have used a bad calculator site last time - I bought an AVRI '62 Strat in 1999 for roughly $1K street price - it might have been $1,050 before taxes - and on the calculator I used Sunday $1,000 in 1999 comes up at $1,713 in 2022. But when I use a different calculator today I come up with $1,735 instead. If I use $1,050 for the 1999 price it jumps to $1,822 in 2022 dollars using the calculator linked below.

I foolishly sold the 1999 Strat in 2000, so I bought another AVRI '62 Strat in 2002 for $1,200 street price; per this calculator that would be $1,928 in todays prices.

If I use your street price of $1,600 in 2012 in this calculator I get $2,015. So my mistake on using the lower amount from 1999 to come up closer to $1,700; the price I paid in 2002 and the price you paid in 2012 are pretty close in today's dollars.

This is always an interesting exercise; here is the calculator I was using today:

If you look at the prices that guitars sold for in the 50’s they are pretty much right on

Most things are actually

It’s all relevant

On another note I thought American vintages were getting higher in the early 2000’s and they had a price drop around 2009 or so

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Gosh dang it!

A 67 tele would be awesome!

Why don’t they do a 66-69 strat! I want a rosewood board large headstock four bolt soooooo bad!

As far as price

You guys realize
1:the current situation/the cost of EVERYTHING
2: we’ve been spoiled by inexpensive imports
D: electric guitars made in the USA have always been a luxury/professional item
Just realize that anyone who says they cost too much and they won’t buy one are just saying they aren’t part of the market for this guitar.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Just realize that anyone who says they cost too much and they won’t buy one are just saying they aren’t part of the market for this guitar.
True dat!
Personally out of my price range now, but I totally accept the fact that there are those out there that will lay down the cash on these without a second thought. I see no difference between these and low end cars, and high end cars ymmv.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Then I saw the price. I do know about raw materials cost, inflation etc. but 2500 USD for a bolt on guitar sounds too much to me.
There are certainly reasons for the costs increases. Labor costs more because of a rebound effect to counter wage stagnation over the past 15 years. Instead of a gradual increase it was a big slam. Certainly the cost of transportation is higher etc and supply chain blah, blah blah, but......
I can't help but think some of these increases are just profiteering under the guise of the numerous reasons cited above.
I just noticed that Gibson raised the prices of some guitar again after just doing so around 9 months ago.
I am pretty fortunate and, if I want something badly enough, I will cough up the cash. However, I am the point that they can go pound sand purely on principal. I know they won't miss selling a guitar or two to me so no big whup.
I bought my first American Standard Strat around 1993 for around $600. That should equal about $1200 today but the MAP of one today is $1699. Greedy profit predators.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
There are certainly reasons for the costs increases. [...]
I bought my first American Standard Strat around 1993 for around $600. That should equal about $1200 today but the MAP of one today is $1699. Greedy profit predators.

Well said.
While I can understand a price increase, I have a feeling that they went a little too far with it. Profit predators...yeah, that's it.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
By the way, the guy who launched the Classic series on Strat talk has said that he made it all up.

I am very disappointed: even if I was not ready to buy a new guitar at the announced price, I was very curious ( and happy ) to see vintage specs finally back. Well, that's the internet I suppose.

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
So this popped up on Strat Talk...

Huge grains of salt...but he seems to be making out that he's a FMIC employee.

"Strats

And 79 Antigua! (Don’t know about the pickups on this one)

Teles

52 tele- natural, HANDWOUNDs

Discuss...
In the absence of any official info., you wonder for how much longer that will be the case ;)

A 79 Strat in antigua? I own one, all original. Apart from the colour, I wouldn't be in a hurry to recreate one... that said, if they do it hardtail, I'd be extremely tempted to trade the original in for it - no way they do such a sh***y job on a reissue, surely?

I'm not 'buying' they'll put handwound pickups on a mass produced instrument. Can't see they'd be able to keep up with production.

You've reminded me, by the way, I need to get some salt, next time I pop out.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
By the way, the guy who launched the Classic series on Strat talk has said that he made it all up.

I am very disappointed: even if I was not ready to buy anew guitar at the announced price, I was very curious ( and happy ) to see vintage specs finally back. Well, that's the internet I suppose.
Seems about right, there are tonnes of people out there in internet land willing to wind people up for jollies.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
The handwound pickups and the Antigua were red flags but the rest was reasonably plausible. I really wonder how people get kicks out of that sort of thing.

But NAMM is well underway, Fender haven't said a thing. I guess they could be waiting until after the show so they get more attention.

Damn I really wanted a sparkly Jazzmaster.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
ITT: people with expensive toys complaining about the price of more expensive toys.

Also: “Why doesn’t Fender mass produce the guitar with the specific specs I want!”

I mean whatever. CS team built production run guitars are like 5 grand now.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
welp

I'm a big fan of the AO series speccs, looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for them as they get phased out.
I LOVE my ‘60s AO Tele, and one of the reasons I bought it instead of the AV that was sitting right next to it was the 9.5” radius fretboard. It plays and feels “right” to me. I have a hard time adjusting to Fender’s 7.25” radius boards. I was able to find a set of CS ‘63 hand-wound pickups on Reverb that someone pulled from a CS Tele. It made a difference, and I like them significantly more than the PV ’64s it came with, but if the AO’s are AMAZING plain stock. I hope you find one! You won’t be disappinted.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I mean whatever. CS team built production run guitars are like 5 grand now.

Not quite!

Many are around $4100 msrp and you can always get 10% off that minimum!

I got my 70th Ann. CS Broadcaster for $3800 all in lat year. Still a fat penny but ducks in well below $5K

Always note Fender dealers are NOT allowed to advertise any less than msrp but free to charge what the want.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
For a moment I was intrigued at the notion of a reboot of an AV64 Tele. Even though I have sworn off new guitars I would have been tempted by a White Blonde 60s Tele.
IMO, the AV64 was Fender’s best production guitar since Lassie was a puppy.
It makes sense that the story was made up because I doubt that finger will ever go back to the rounder radius and vintage frets of the AV series.