Fender American Classic Series (AO Replacement?)

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
So this popped up on Strat Talk...

Huge grains of salt...but he seems to be making out that he's a FMIC employee.

"Strats

a 57 Strat (wooooo!) with new pure vintage 57 pickups HANDWOUND. A two tone burst, a daphne blue and a Sherwood green.

A 61 - with new pure vintage HANDWOUND pickups. A three tone burst, surf green and Dakota red.

And 79 Antigua! (Don’t know about the pickups on this one)

Teles

52 tele- natural, HANDWOUNDs

62 tele - three tone burst, vintage blonde, lake placid blue, HANDWOUNDS

67 tele - (?????) info on this wasn’t shared with me!"

Discuss...

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
I discovered this yesterday.
At first glance I was super excited about the two 60s teles, as I'd like to add one to the staple.

Then...

Then I saw the price. I do know about raw materials cost, inflation etc. but 2500 USD for a bolt on guitar sounds too much to me. I can't see enough value, despite the handwound pickups. I used to spend crazy money on Fender guitars (I have owned a CS Nocaster and an original 1950 Broadcaster) but today I am perfectly happy with my AV52.

I will probably buy one of them, but not before next year when people will start to sell them.

John C

Friend of Leo's
I discovered this yesterday.
At first glance I was super excited about the two 60s teles, as I'd like to add one to the staple.

Then...

Then I saw the price. I do know about raw materials cost, inflation etc. but 2500 USD for a bolt on guitar sounds too much to me. I can't see enough value, despite the handwound pickups. I used to spend crazy money on Fender guitars (I have owned a CS Nocaster and an original 1950 Broadcaster) but today I am perfectly happy with my AV52.

I will probably buy one of them, but not before next year when people will start to sell them.

Everything's gone up a lot over the past few years; around $2,500 seems to be the current price for nitro-finished Fenders. Everything is crazy though - the "entry-level" USA Fender, the American Performer series, are $1,400 with single coils and $1450 for the ones with a humbucker (neck bucker for the Tele, bridge bucker for the Strat).

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
Everything's gone up a lot over the past few years; around $2,500 seems to be the current price for nitro-finished Fenders. Everything is crazy though - the "entry-level" USA Fender, the American Performer series, are $1,400 with single coils and $1450 for the ones with a humbucker (neck bucker for the Tele, bridge bucker for the Strat).

Indeed. I know that 2500 USD is the "normal" cost for such instruments, I simply can't see the value anymore. I don't think it will go better in the future, so I will keep an eye open to the second hand market.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thanks for the update. "A rose by any other name..." American Classic, American Originals, American Vintage. While the pricing is disappointing not totally unexpected. Watch as the still available American Originals, both new and used, get grabbed up right quick!:)

Last edited:

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow. There are some real idiots in that Strat Talk thread.

Basically, back to the last generation of the AV Series (Flash Coat, 7 1/4" radius, "vintage" frets), with some year changes, and major price raises. And a switch to hand guided pickup winding (which I don't give a rat's ass about, and think is kind of dumb, because it leads to inconsistency in manufacturing).

Good move. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

We'll see if they bring back the more vintage correct cases of the AV Series as well. Everything has a poodle lining since the AO Series was introduced.

Looks like the market spoke in response to the dumbass discontinuation of the AV Series, and the incongruous mish-mosh of old looks with modern fretboard feel that was the AO Series. It just took four years of us bitching about it and not spending our money.

I am very interested in a Dakota Red '61. I always wanted one of the Dakota Red '65s, but it never happened. Ended up with Shoreline Gold instead...and it checked all to hell just sitting in its case in Southern California's extremely mild climate (I love the guitar, though). '61 is a year with specs I prefer to '65, so in a way, I am glad I waited. The only problem with the '61 will be that they almost certainly won't properly reproduce the nitrate guards.

That said, I am way more excited to see the bass offerings. I am hoping they release a first or second generation P Bass ('51 – '56), or a Dakota Red P Bass. The Seminole Red AV '63 is another one that I, sadly, missed out on, and which is now hard to find. It would also be great if they did the '66 Jazz Bass, with binding, dots, and lollipop tuners.

Last edited:

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
@EsquireOK not everyone shares your outlook. Perhaps a step backwards is actually a step in the correct direction.

Apparently, you didn't actually read what I wrote. I hated AO, and bitched about it the whole time, lauding, and collecting eight of, the last generation of AVs...which I am now very happy they have basically returned to.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Indeed. I know that 2500 USD is the "normal" cost for such instruments, I simply can't see the value anymore. I don't think it will go better in the future, so I will keep an eye open to the second hand market.

Oh I completely agree; I know guitars can be considered a "luxury item" when compared to food, shelter, etc. but some of the current (and upcoming) pricing is causing most of us to reconsider the value prop of higher-end instruments.

Back in the early 2000s I didn't consider an AVRI to be too far out of reach for someone who is a basement player; they were about $1K street price at the time, so not too much of a stretch. That would be $1,700 in todays dollars - which is the price of an American Professional II - not $2,500.

John C

Friend of Leo's
welp

I'm a big fan of the AO series speccs, looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for them as they get phased out.

They're already phased out - no blowout pricing on these since Fender was still fulfilling the last of the orders as recently as this month; they have essentially sold out instead of there being stock in the warehouse that needs to be cleared out.

Rufustelestrats

Tele-Holic
Apparently, you didn't actually read what I wrote. I hated AO, and bitched about it the whole time, lauding, and collecting eight of, the last generation of AVs...which I am now very happy they have basically returned to.
You are correct and I rarely do this but..... I am sorry...
I do see you do like this idea and I applaud your thinking.

HomeOffisRockstar

TDPRI Member
They're already phased out - no blowout pricing on these since Fender was still fulfilling the last of the orders as recently as this month; they have essentially sold out instead of there being stock in the warehouse that needs to be cleared out.
I spoke with my Sweetwater rep yesterday and they are expecting more in June.

John C

Friend of Leo's
I spoke with my Sweetwater rep yesterday and they are expecting more in June.

There are still batches of AOs working their way through production; I thought I heard that the last batches were going to be run in May (that was from Wildwood Guitars), but there may be a few left to be run June - or the batches currently in production this month won't ship to dealers until June.

Bottom line is whenever these last batches are actually produced they've already been ordered by the dealers and won't go to sit in Fender's warehouse, and Fender usually only does blowout pricing if they have stacks of the discontinued model sitting in the warehouse.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
...Back in the early 2000s I didn't consider an AVRI to be too far out of reach for someone who is a basement player; they were about $1K street price at the time, so not too much of a stretch. That would be $1,700 in todays dollars - which is the price of an American Professional II - not $2,500.
Retail street price for my '62 AVRI Telecaster bought new ten years ago in 2012 was $1,600. So this $1,700 estimate for 2022 dollars does not reflect reality.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Gosh dang it!

A 67 tele would be awesome!

Why don’t they do a 66-69 strat! I want a rosewood board large headstock four bolt soooooo bad!

As far as price

You guys realize
1:the current situation/the cost of EVERYTHING
2: we’ve been spoiled by inexpensive imports
D: electric guitars made in the USA have always been a luxury/professional item

Last edited:

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
Gosh dang it!

A 67 tele would be awesome!

Why don’t they do a 66-69 strat! I want a rosewood board large headstock four bolt soooooo bad!

As far as price

You guys realize
1:the current situation/the cost of EVERYTHING
2: we’ve been spoiled by inexpensive imports
D: electric guitars made in the USA have always been a luxury/professional item

This. Isn't there a quote somewhere from PRS, where he said that it if you can't afford something it just means you don't want it enough. Somewhat crude but true. If I really wanted something expensive, I'd sell, cut back on and save until I could afford it.

But yeah, it's a sign of the times. Everything is exploding in price. On the plus side, the used market is about to get real spicy, real soon.