Fender Amercian Design Experience -- Finally Starts

TDPRI

Retired
For the past year we've heard that Fender would take a major step to start selling guitars directly -- by passing the dealers.

Then we heard this program was put on hold.

Then we heard that the program would only be for "custom" ordered guitars - you create a guitar spec online and then it is built and sent to you. Kind of the Dell Computer online sales model.

Well, we caught first word of it today it's called the Fender American Design Experience:

http://www.fender.com/american-design/

TDPRI

Retired
I just used the website above to create my own '52 Reissue (for test purposes only)

The final price was $1,599.99

Here's the finished look for the website:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 8.48.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 8.48.33 AM.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 283

4himthruhim

TDPRI Member
I tried it out last night and thought it was fairly interesting I'm just waiting for more options. I want 3tsb white binding rsd vintage bridge Texas special pickups pearl white pickfuard modern c unglossed 9.5 maple neck and modern locking tuners...

BritTwang

Tele-Holic
I think it's a great idea, though I doubt us UK folks will be able to order direct. A Fender made to my spec for around £1000 is just a pipe dream...

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Interesting development.

Maybe an acknowledgment by FMIC that the bricks and mortar guys are having problems; too many baked in costs of doing business;

Maybe an effort to make Stratosphere (an outfit that IMO damages Fender's vibe) less relevant;

It also cuts into custom craftsmen. IMO a significant percentage of buyers of customs or small build outfits complained they couldn't get from FMIC what they wanted or needed;

It is also circumstantial evidence that Sam Ash, GC, MF, Sweetwater and/or others are just not able to pay for the guitars they'd like to continue to order and stock.

Duncas

Friend of Leo's
I think it's a great idea, though I doubt us UK folks will be able to order direct. A Fender made to my spec for around £1000 is just a pipe dream...

Its true :(

I loved it when they released the neck and body buying thing but they aren't available in the UK either.

Unless you're lucky enough to get one when Andertons have them in stock

73Fender

Friend of Leo's
I wouldn't be surprised if the fit and finish is very good on these. At least to get the ball rolling..1st impressions and all that.

Cool idea.

Are the bodies and necks lacquer or poly? I'm not seeing that on the site.

Pickin N Grinin

Tele-Meister
I'd need to see a couple more vintage colors to get me off my wallet like maybe Daphne Blue, Surf Green, or Seafoam Green. With that said, as a lefty this is already a TON more options to choose from. The only downside I can see with the direct sales is maybe having to pay full list rather than catching a sale at G.C or Musicians Friend.

xFallenx

Friend of Leo's
I'd need to see a couple more vintage colors to get me off my wallet like maybe Daphne Blue, Surf Green, or Seafoam Green. With that said, as a lefty this is already a TON more options to choose from. The only downside I can see with the direct sales is maybe having to pay full list rather than catching a sale at G.C or Musicians Friend.

+1 to that, but you do get to choose more or less what you want. I just wonder how the market as a whole will take to these at those prices. And what will the resale price be on these if you decide to sell one day for whatever reason?

Last edited:

73Fender

Friend of Leo's
Looks like the modern spec necks are poly and the vintage spec necks are either "flash coat", "gloss" or "smooth satin" nitro. Dependent on which neck you pick. No mention of the body finish that I can find.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
The FAQ say the guitar will be shipped within 90 days. That's not too bad.

That's pretty good coin for picking a color. Plus it's a limited color selection at that. You get two options, vintage or modern, which limits the "design" to pretty narrow choices IMO.

It's a good start but I doubt it will expand much as it would threaten their Custom Shop business. On the other hand, maybe that's what they want. Perhaps they would prefer Custom Shop to be limited to production runs instead of tailoring a build to some Joe Schmoe's random specs. The lead time on a Custom Build from Fender was over 7 months when I ordered mine a couple of years ago, and that was team built. It's much worse for a "Masterbuilt". They seem to doing a lot of dealer spec'd teambuilt and masterbuilt runs.

surfoverb

Doctor of Teleocity
kind of cool. it would be REALLY cool if it had more options, like a ton more options.

here is the tele I designed
i call it "The 62RI with Brass Saddles"

gwjensen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This is cool! Came up with this one. $1,774. Ash body and 50's specs all around. The price isn't too bad, but for 1.7k, I think it would be reasonable to expect lacquer, but no choice in finish. Poly is it.

Attachments

• stratttttt.jpg
    stratttttt.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 147