Fender Acoustics

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by jazzalta, Jan 2, 2016.

1. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

I picked up a Fender DG-60 recently...a very inexpensive laminated dread. I compared it to all the other solid top/laminated b/s in the store and it out played them all imo. I threw on some elixirs and it really came to life. I'm not here to say it is better than any solid Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, etc. but it does meet my needs completely. I think the laminated process has come a long way from some of the crap produced in the 60's and 70's. Plus where I live (semi arid climate) I no longer have to worry about humidifying. I am watching the fret ends but so far not a problem. As far as the reputation part goes, there is a lot of snobbery out there. There are folks that will never consider even playing a laminated guitar much less own one.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I recently acquired a mahogany CD60CE as a gift...well ok. I got a MF gift card for my birthday, and I wanted a second a/e to.my Alvarez but had no idea what. Went to the local music store and played a couple dozen ranging from $200 to $1000 in price... Kept going back to Fenders. Mine is just great.

3. micaiah

micaiah Tele-Meister

i've had mine a dreadnaught for over ten years its had the headstock broke twice and been prof. repaired both times and still plays like a champ, and it has a certain tone i like that i can't get out of taylors or martins but that's just me i'm 26 had it since i was 14

4. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

I know it's me, but the name Fender on a accoustic guitar doesn't sound right...

threadbare and brandonwhite like this.
  5. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

I feel the same way. I've been playing the guitar for 47 years now and have had all the major brands at one time or other. The Fender is my only acoustic and I have no regrets whatsoever. I have a little Fishman pickup in the soundhole and it gets the job done. Keep enjoying the Fender. They are very nice guitars if you get a good one.

6. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going!

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats. I basically wore out my Fender Malibu parlor and was mighty against temperature and humidity changes. She was a sweet player and I gigged with it too. Nothing could touch it in the price range at the time.

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I picked up a cheap nylon stringer classical Fender and I use it
    more around the house than any other guitar. Mostly it's my version
    of a parlor guitar.

The funny thing is - the neck is not "really" classical width and feels more
    like my electrics (Tele and Strat) so it workes out well for me.

9. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Acoustic.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't understand this reply at all. Why would you say that?

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I can understand some skeptic comments about Fender acoustics. There are a lot of dogs out there (but, I could say that about any low to mid priced acoustic regardless of what name is on the headstock) and I would have to play one before purchasing, but there are some impressive Fender acoustics out there to be sure. My Malibu replacement (not a Fender)is less expensive (six years later) and even sweeter (and I have a $1K acoustic as well). So, I think the skeptics are just missing out.

12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My first guitar was a Fender acoustic. I've still got it. Funny, I've been judging all other acoustics by it's tone.

I only recently decided to take the plunge into a high end acoustic (I picked up a Gibson Keb Mo a month or so ago). There is a difference... The Gibby is a more high end guitar for sure. But, my trusty old Fender holds its own!

Mine is an all solid wood model from the early-mid-80's. It's a dreadnought as well. I think mahogany sides and back, nato neck, and some kind of spruce top. It's been a trusty friend for a long time now.

13. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

I've got an F75 , it's a 1974 . It's a little beat up but still plays well and sounds great. I've had that guitar for 35 years.

14. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

15. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I've had a couple of experiences in the past couple of fantastic sounds from inexpensive guitars, one of which was an oldish Washburn D10, the other one of my mate's new importer brand. However, I think they are random stellar events, and that it wouldn't be wise to extrapolate too far from them. In broad terms I see no useful relationship between price and performance in factory guitars, you are just as likely to find dogs among expensive ones as you are to find top performers among cheapos.

16. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I have no personal experience with Fender Acoustics other than trying them out in music stores. Most seemed fine to me. Personally, when I shopped for my acoustic, I was intent on a Larrivee'. Why? Because there are more wood options and styles and they were readily available to try at Wildwood Music which is an hour from where I live... and I bought a "Custom L-03" for under $1200
    I must say the entry level Fender Parlor Guitar sounds nice for the money.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  17. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

That cd60ce was a really good buy with a case and it is a beautiful guitar with the mohagany. But last one II tried sucked so I am switching to an epi EJ200. Before that I swore by that cheap guitar

18. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

I have a Fender DG-100 that I bought a few years back for something like $150 on closeout (IIRC they were closer to $400 brand new.) As far as I know, it was a special run for GC and related companies (MF), and they made them in both Korea and China. When I got mine, they had one each of a Korean and Chinese, and the Korean (made by Cort) was noticeably nicer than the Chinese version, despite being the same price. The fit and finish on the Korean one was just way better than the Chinese, and it sounded better too. I'd bet the first run was Korean, but they couldn't keep them at the lower price so they sent production to China instead. I compared the Korean one with one of the Parkwood acoustics that GC used to sell, and the build methods and quality looked nearly identical, which is why I think it was made by Cort in one of their better factories.

Anyway, my DG100 plays great and sounds pretty good. My only complaint is that it has that rock-hard poly finish, and one of these days I'd like to strip it (or at least the top) and refinish it with a thin hand-rubbed finish. I think that would improve the sound quite a bit, especially considering these had solid Englemann spruce tops! I just have to figure out the best way to strip it, since a heat gun seems like it would be a bad idea on an acoustic; I'll probably have to suck it up and sand it off.

I do like mine though, enough to want to hold onto it. I even installed an LR Baggs piezo system (although it still sounds like a piezo, which I've since come to really dislike.) I'd love an M1A to replace or supplement it, since the preamp has a second input soldering pad to add another pickup. While Fender acoustics don't have the cache of other brands (often deservedly so), they have put out some nice models over the years and can be a great bargain for something that you don't have to be too precious about, but still sounds and plays great.

19. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I have never been kind about Fender acoustic guitars, I've play other peoples Fenders and without exception I hated them. Nothing against Fender, as I have a few of their electrics and am a big fan, however their acoustics were a different animal. Today, at a pawn shop I played a Fender Sonoran, what a mind changer that guitar is. It played really well and sounded different than I expected ie it sounded good. It had a unique sound that appealed to me, I didn't buy it, at least not yet but I am surprisingly temped.

20. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

I liked the sonoran had one for a couple years long while back really bright guitar puts most price comparable guitars to shame. Hated the sparkly pick guard too girly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.