Fender Acoustasonic Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dobrojoe, Feb 1, 2019.

1. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Anyone tried one yet? I'm seriously tempted.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Check out the price first.

bravescoob, nojazzhere and Shuster like this.
  3. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

They are are £1699 in the UK and are supposed to arrive next week.

4. Redline Redneck

Redline Redneck Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I played one at NAMM last week. I suggest you play one when you get the chance. I didn’t think I would find anything interesting about it. Playing it changed my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ignatius likes this.
  5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  6. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

7. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

First rare thing that i like it...

Ydwen Jones likes this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Fender's definitely got the advertising and promo departments working overtime on this one. Seeing many recent reviews/articles on it. Mostly very positive like Redline's above.

9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

10. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

It’s got a lipstick neck pup, plus those bridge saddles act as both regular signal “pups” and the synth.

See how the signals output? And you can blend all three to your heart’s content.

DD933AB8-8B85-4076-9336-72ED6E881E6A.jpeg

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I spent a good long time with one of these last night at my local shop. I was quite impressed with some of the tones, and I could see where this could be a very useful tool for certain types of gigging situations (including mine). I'd even go so far as to say that the "acoustic" tones were better than a LOT of amplified acoustic tones I've heard over the years from local and even national acts.

Feel - I'm not sure if it was the strings (I'm used to Elixers) but it felt a little hard to play compared to my acoustics and compared to a Taylor I grabbed off the rack while there. Yes, I was surprised too. It wasn't an action thing - maybe it was just that the form factor felt so odd for the type of stuff I was playing on it. I'm usually not sensitive to string spacing but there was just something about it. It got better as I played it though, and I could probably get used to it.

I did notice the one I played had some wonkiness with the switching. At a few points a second tone would pop into the picture as I was playing. Bad blend pot? Bad switch? At another point I was messing with the "Tele" tones in position 5. I switched out to one of the acoustic tones and the sound didn't change. The shop owner thought it might be in need of a charge.

The electric pickup felt slightly in the way at times for fingerpicking or hybrid stuff. I have similar issues on a Strat though, and it just takes a little adjustment to get used to it. That pickup is right about where my picking hands when I play acoustic though.

I'm considering getting it, but the jury is out. For $2k I wanted to be fairly blown away and I'm not sure I was. I was very impressed and I could absolutely see the convenience and utility of it for my gig, but the playability combined with the stark reminder that there's essentially a computer inside the thing (i.e. switching issues) gave me pause. As has been stated in other threads - at even 1499 I might have taken the leap but at 2k I'm just not sure.

One other thought. The "tele" sounds weren't as strong as the acoustic tones, IMO. The fatter of the two tones felt a bit overly processed and compressed, as if they took a preset out of one of their digital amps. The cleaner Tele tone was still compressed but better, and could possibly serve as a better base tone to be augmented by a pedal.

Okay, one more one other thought :D. Given that this is a circuit board with strings, in five years it will be outdated technology. As amazing as they are today, right now, this is an instrument that is guaranteed to lose a lot of value in the not too distant future. I need to weigh the cost/benefit of having a cool, good sounding, and fun/creative tool for gigs over the short term versus that inevitable value loss over the long term.

The only other thing I'd add is this - if you think you know what this is going to sound like based on looks or based on some hybrid thing you've heard or played in the past, just go play one of these. You won't sell your Martin, but I can say that I was quite impressed with how it sounded for its intended application.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  13. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

I bought one mail order -- and sent it back after a couple of days. I already have two Taylors and a Martin and I just couldn't imagine a situation where I would use the Acoustisonic in preference to one of my real acoustics. The acoustic tones were okay, the Tele tone not so good but it just didn't feel right. I play a lot of fingerstyle blues and prefer a slightly wider string spacing. If it were half the price, I might have kept it as a backup. It really is overpriced for what it is.

Ignatius likes this.
  14. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I was left with the same feeling too (overpriced). To my ears, the Acoustasonic's plugged in tone was WAY better than my Taylor (nice guitar, horrible pickup system), which is what started me on this whole journey. I think Fender did a great job on these...if it was at a lower price point.

bravescoob likes this.
  15. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

After lugging around an acoustic and an electric guitar for 30 years to gigs all over the mountain west, my first thought after seeing the Acoustisonic was it would have saved me a lot of hassle and all the ongoing problems that using 2 very different guitars hard caused.

But while I think Fender was on the right track when they came up with this guitar, they got it wrong in the final product.

What makes the Acoustisonic different from all the others like it? The digital modeling. It's a cool thing and a good idea, but they built it into the guitar. That was the big mistake.

What Fender should have done was put that motherboard in a weatherproof rack mount, or a box, or a floor mount. Anything that is durable and separate from the guitar.

Why? Because as soon as the technology becomes obsolete, or the maker of the motherboard goes bankrupt, or if the guitar's sales don't meet expectations, that motherboard is history if it goes blooey. And we've all seen computers that had motherboards that went blooey.

Once any of those electronics die, they go away forever. So the player is stuck with a guitar that has failed it's reason for the purchase.

Once the motherboard dies, the Acoustisonic is nothing more than another semi-quasi-acoustic guitar or another electric guitar that tries to sound acoustic. Take your pick, as to which you think it is.

It's the same reason why I will never buy an acoustic guitar with a built-in preamp that requires a big square hole in the side of the guitar (or even a bunch of smaller holes). Once an old battery corrodes or something, the damn thing goes south, and finding a new replacement is impossible. Once something inside an acoustic fries, it will gradually poison the wood from the inside from something corrosive.

So what does the player do? Leave the dead box on the guitar and hope for the best? Or take it out and have a weakened guitar structurally, with a big honkin' hole (or several) in it?

That's why my stage acoustic always had a pickup of some kind in it, and quite often, a preamp of some sort. But if either or both ever crapped out, they could be removed without causing any structural or sonic damage to the acoustic guitar.
    I always used volume, tone, special effects, etc. with my acoustics, but those controls and their circuitry were always outside of the guitar. Most often on the floor in stomp boxes, but not always.

And for sure, over the years, I had several pup rigs go south. Sometimes on the job, but I always had the electric guitar, and it would get me through the rest of the night. Or in a pinch, a spare microphone would do it too. In a last-stand scenario, if all the power went out, a real good acoustic could still get me through the night, bashing it hard.
    That's why I always packed an acoustic that most often cost more than my electric. Most often, quite a lot more. For me, finding a loud acoustic guitar with great tone and playability never came cheaply.

A pro's needs are different from an amateur's; that's true. But to me, the Acoustisonic still needs that digital modeling motherboard and everything that connects it to the pups separate from the guitar itself. If need be, the essentials- a volume and tone knob, could still be mounted because they are so common and old-style parts and replacements will be around forever.

I still like the Acoustisonic- I like a lot of it's design as a compromise guitar. The body is quite sturdy, and the tuned sound-port soundhole would allow it to be mic'd quite well, I think. It probably has excellent action too.

I just wish they offered it in a second version with all the digital modeling outside the guitar where it belongs as part of the package. Then it would be worth the price tag for sure 20 years from now.
    regards,
    stanger

bravescoob likes this.
  16. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I wonder how many of these Fender has ACTUALLY sold... and stayed sold?

bravescoob likes this.
  17. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Tele-Meister

In the same vein, I think a much more practical rig would be one that utilized a standard solid body or semi-hollow (or full hollowbody for that matter) electric with a piezo bridge pickup, and an external controller to do some of the same type of digital voodoo that the Fender is doing.

I've always felt that a normal electric with some piezo saddles and some external manipulation should be able to cop as good of an acoustic tone is any other acoustic with piezos, and give the playability and flexibility of the electric tones.

stanger likes this.
  18. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Not really my thing, but they're very cool. I like having a real acoustic for playing acoustic stuff (even though it's a pain). And I would rather have a tele with the fishman powerbridge piezo over an Aoustasonic.

19. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

It seems neat; for $2k though... I can buy a really good new guitar plus a whole new amp, cab, and some pedals too even. Fender MIA never makes sense value-wise to me.

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

For me, a $2000 guitar purchase would be for something I intend to keep for life - I have never paid that much for a guitar. There is absolutely no way the Acoustasonic will be a functioning instrument in 30 years given the durability of modern electronics, the impossibility of repair past a few years, and the pace of change.
    $2k will buy you a very nice acoustic guitar for the stage AND a very nice electric guitar for the stage (or two) plus an A/B box and an extra cord or strap. I just can't see it at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.