1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Acoustasonic Strat - Any info

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by uriah1, Dec 23, 2020.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

So, I have been seriously considering one of these strat versions of the new acoustasonic.

I never liked previous attempts at making a combo guitar, mainly since the piezo and
    wood and electronics always made them sound tinny or metallic.

They may be a step closer. A lot of good reviews out there. I think it would be nice for
    an acoustic act where you may want to throw a couple uptempo songs in . (like I do
    in an acoustic gig, when this virus crap over)...

Any thoughts out there.

I did see they just added some new woods, for major bucks too.

I think of the current colors, maybe the black or burst.

2. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

These new ones have really intrigued me. it looks like the playability is awesome and the sound has greatly improved. I also dig the one-piece back design with a bolt on neck - pretty cool, i think.

For 2 grand, though, I would probably opt for a Martin 00-15 or guild M20 with a k&k mini and preamp - but that's just me. The acoustasonics are really cool, and theyre definitely closer, but for my use case at that price point, I'd prefer a solid guitar. ymmv as always!

Gabrielle84 and uriah1 like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I had a chance to play the tele version for a couple of days. It is not a tele and not an acoustic. I would say before committing two grand I would sure want to play one.

Mike M and uriah1 like this.
  4. David S

David S TDPRI Member

IMO where hybrid guitars really shine is in a gigging environment. My main gigging guitar is a Godin A6. I have better sounding electric and acoustic guitars but when I gig I can switch between electric and acoustic with a couple of pedal taps and get acceptable sounds. My pedal board is set up with a two path looper and I can change without interrupting the flow of the set. I have asked my daughter if she would be willing to guitar tech for me at a gig and have a guitar ready to hand me for each song but she politely declined.

uriah1 likes this.
  5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve played the Tele version. I liked playing it because the neck felt like playing an electric. I’m not great at doing much more than strumming and picking chords on an acoustic guitar. If I gigged I might have one for acoustic songs. I’ve seen a lot of videos with people recording with them and can hear too much of the piezo high end thing on the recordings. But, I’ve also heard that sound more and more in produced music. I know I’ve wished that there was a way to get authentic acoustic recordings with a di, but I don’t think this would be it. It seems to be more of a “little bit of everything” gigging tool.

uriah1 and David S like this.
  6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Here’s Warren Huart having some fun with his.

P Thought and uriah1 like this.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I had the Tele one for about 6 months, and then returned it for a full refund, because after 6 months the truss rod was broken, and would not turn any more.

I wanted to LOVE this guitar, and I did love how lightweight it was, and it was fun to hold and play, especially late at night sitting on the couch, when it was not even plugged in.

But the plugged in sounds were just not that great. The cliché of "jack of all trades, master of none" was very true on this design. In the end, I was kind of glad I could return it after that long of a time (was still under warranty).

I usually don't question what I pay for a piece of equipment, if I love it I quickly forget what the price tag was, but this is the only musical equipment I bought where I constantly thought I had overpaid for what it was, even thought I got it at a discount for $1600 (the store owner loved me).

My comments are only on the Tele one, and I know the Strat one has slightly different features, but I think they need to put some more work into these for them to "wow".

IMG_3398.jpg

uriah1 and JamesAM like this.
  8. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

FWIW I read that Nile Rodgers is a big fan of the Strat model.

uriah1 and Mike M like this.
  9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

black_doug likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.