Fender Acoustasonic Player Telecaster

howlin

Tele-Afflicted
Tuesday I went guitar shopping. I'd gotten it in my mind that I wanted a "jazz box" but I soon realized that I wasn't getting on with the archtop/floating bridge concept. At least I knew what I didn't want as it made me realize that after years of playing Fenders and acoustic guitars the flat top design just works for me. At least I'd whittled down my options. That night I got on YT and the first thing I see is the Andertons release video for the new Acoustasonic Player Tele. After sleeping on it I decided to pull the trigger and in less than 2 days it arrived at my door:

20211120.jpg 20211120-2.jpg 20211120-3.jpg

Obviously, it's in brushed black. It's very light as is to be expected. The quality is impeccable. The playability is as close to perfect as I could hope for. I ran it thru its paces for the rest of the afternoon into the evening so, I guess I like it but the over all experience has me sitting on the fence and the reason for this is - I think it's technological overkill. All these sound possiblilties are great but even in this stripped down version it seems like it's more than is really necessary. If they had packaged these options in a foot switch it would make more sense and the guitar would have an even better price point but that's just how I see it as my needs are very specific and that leads me to . . .

. . . the real annoying aspect of this guitar, which is the SIRS or let's just call it what it is - a soundhole. It looks nice but what does it do? It sounds okay but it's too effin' loud. I had to block my right ear while trying it through an acoustic amp so I could actually hear the amp without interference because the frikkin' soundhole noise was just obnoxious. I didn't notice how plasticy it sounded until I could compare it with something else and, believe me it sucks but, to be fair, in a live situation this would be a non-issue. The real test will come when I try playing it after my wife goes to bed. If it disturbs her sleep then I'm not sure I'll keep it. I already have an acoustic guitar and half the reason I've been looking at another guitar is to be able to play it at night.

So, in a perfect world, what would I like to see Fender do next? How 'bout a Jaguar version with only an under saddle bridge with just a volume and tone control, no fancy electronics and no electric guitar pickup? With the 24" scale length they could market it as an entry level version. By getting rid of the sound hole & offering a cheaper gig-bag they could probably pump them out out at around $500 or so [give or take a few sheckles].

I know I've only had this for 24 hours but, as the saying goes, "first impressions are the strongest". ;)

"Anyway, that's all I've got for today. Go away now . . . "

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Really cool. Congrats.

And problem solved? There is a Jazzmaster model now and let’s be honest, in semi acoustic form without the classic bridge and electronics what’s the difference?

Attachments

• upload_2021-11-20_8-17-9.png
    upload_2021-11-20_8-17-9.png
    639.7 KB · Views: 74

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Telecaster jazz box? FWIW, I have N4 Noiseless pickups in my Telecaster and my go to jazz tone is the pickups in series straight into my Boogie at 5 watts. No EQ necessary and no delay or reverb. It beats both Strats, a Gretsch Annie, and a Gibson SG by miles. There was a time I thought only a fat hollow body played jazz. I know better now. It’s being able to play jazz on the guitar that gives you “your” jazz tone.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
It's certainly interesting?

I'd like to see someone take it further, with more attention to detailed practicality.

imo.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks.

When you live in the guitar equivalent of Outer Mongolia there aren't many options other than to take a chance. That said, the place where I ordered it from has a 30-day return policy so there's that.
Fair enough. As long as there's a good return policy, it doesn't hurt to give it a whirl. I'll be interested in the 29-day update.

howlin

Tele-Afflicted
The new Guild electrics are nice. You may want to check them out.

I've always liked Guilds but have never owned one. I was looking at the Starfire I P90 at one time but just couldn't get excited enough to actually buy one. Is their a particular Guild that you might suggest?

ndtced

TDPRI Member
I've always liked Guilds but have never owned one. I was looking at the Starfire I P90 at one time but just couldn't get excited enough to actually buy one. Is their a particular Guild that you might suggest?
I have a Starfire II at present. It is a hollow body that is playable at night unplugged. It sometimes gets a bad review because of the pickups, but I like them. It can be quite crisp, but dial back those and it changes much.

I have played the Aristocrat, and will get one soon. I do wish this one had P90's in the
Color black. Not sure which I like better, the humbuckers or the p90's.
The older Blues Birds were fantastic. I had one and gave it to a friend for his wedding present. I wish I still had one. I hate to buy used without seeing it is the only reason I don't have one.

The quality is very good on all I have played.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Eh, idk, I’d rather they make an archtop/hollow tele with a piezo in the floating bridge. I don’t really get these, they are not great at either sound. At least an archtop tele would have a nice electric sound and the acoustic sound would be a bonus.

howlin

Tele-Afflicted
I own a Taylor T5X which technically should be similar, but I really want one of those.

From what I remember some of the same people where involved in both projects.

Eh, idk, I’d rather they make an archtop/hollow tele with a piezo in the floating bridge. I don’t really get these, they are not great at either sound. At least an archtop tele would have a nice electric sound and the acoustic sound would be a bonus.

You mean something like this one?

Unfortunately, it's kinda out of my price range.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
From what I remember some of the same people where involved in both projects.

You mean something like this one?

Unfortunately, it's kinda out of my price range.

haha, yeah so far there’s that one, the chris fleming archtop tele they made CS last year, and then a year or two ago they made a gretsch style CS with a floating bridge. They keep messing around with super limited fully hollow runs.

I’d love to see them just do a parallel universe in a small run and see what happens. I think they could probably make it more or less like a thinline (to save costs, don’t make an actual fancy archtop) but fully hollow and with a floating setup. Like a thinline meets an es-120t or epi Granada something...or a dano. At least marginally more appeal/novelty than a few of the total lemons they’ve done in that series already.

Last edited:

Clifton C

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on the new Acoutasonic! I just bought a paisley version this weekend. Wow, what a wonderful guitar! I was very impressed with how it sounded and felt at the guitar shop—I ran it through a new 68 Champ, and it sounded fantastic, even without having the battery charged up. I’m excited—I can’t wait to see what it sounds like when I record it!