Fender 8502 neck pocket

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by hickacaster, Aug 18, 2018.

1. hickacaster

hickacaster TDPRI Member

Hello, new here. What’s the best fix for the finish lifting like this? I will be hanging on to this guit as there is not many made, but this is just bothersome.

Attached Files:

2. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Need more picture..I can't really see what's going on completely.

3. hickacaster

hickacaster TDPRI Member

617845F5-EB43-45FA-8CF1-12C2E54C19DC.jpeg 6E04D4A5-74CA-4880-929E-FBEC6EBF0E8A.jpeg DC6E92F9-7D84-49AF-963B-B858FE92B954.jpeg 6E04D4A5-74CA-4880-929E-FBEC6EBF0E8A.jpeg See attached

4. hickacaster

hickacaster TDPRI Member

Bump

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hickacaster, maybe you can find some super thin Cyanoacrylate glue, the dispenser comes with a tiny tiny straw, and rely on the light viscosity and capillary action to get the glue down into the void between the ash and the finish. Then quickly press the finish flake back against the wood and hold it and hopefully that will arrest it and wait an hour and then just play it like that.

VintageSG, archetype and Tulk like this.
  6. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That looks like normal finish cracking. Pop the neck off, and see if the cracks are coming from inside the neck pocket. I doubt that they are, and if not, don't worry about it, it's a common occurrence.

7. boris bubbanov

Right, but if the owner of the 8502 just ignores this huge flake, it will probably expand and at some point the whole thing is gonna slough off when you least expect it. This is kinda like a cracked fingernail. Give attention to it now, before it worsens.

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Take the neck off and follow Boris' advice. Flaky poly won't fix itself and once it starts, it spreads like a bad rash.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

Boris is right. You have to deal with it. Being in the cutaway like that is just a matter of time before you snag that with a fingernail or a ring and yank it off.

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I woulds probably devise a way to clamp it, then float some iso glue in there, clamp it down. Use wax paper between the guitar and any clamp block you use.
    I have no idea what "8502" means. Is it old? Maybe Fender will warranty that?

11. boris bubbanov

It is from about 2006.

FMIC had two visions for what the American Standard would be like and the 8402 was the dominant path, the one that leads to the American Professional of today.

But back then they had a second choice for the customer, with a steel bridge plate and (plated) brass saddles, a different neck carve. Fender killed it off about the time Mr. Schultz passed. A shame. It was the closest thing to a proper bridge of the gap between the Broadcaster and the modern (non-pickers) electric guitar.

schmee likes this.
  12. hickacaster

hickacaster TDPRI Member

I was wondering about super glue as it sets fast I’ll just have to be super careful not smudge any

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.