1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender 68 Vibro Champ Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ratrob, Mar 9, 2021.

1. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Trouble is they aren’t making any more vintage VC’s and there aren’t enough of those to go around. In 2 years I have seen them skyrocket for $250-$300 to $800-$1000+.

im glad fender is building something new. But I really wish it had a tube rectifier for this price. (Which is much too high for me)

Boreas likes this.
  2. ricks57custom

ricks57custom TDPRI Member

wblynch and KelvinS1965 like this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I've been thinking about one of these. I already have a Tweed Champ Clone and a '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb (mainly because the '64 Custom Princeton wasn't available back when I bought the Deluxe). Waiting to hear when Andertons get them in stock, hoping to trade in a Gretsch that I never play (don't worry I kept the TV Jones I 'upgraded' it with for another Tele or Strat project ;) ).

I use my Tweed Champ a local open mic nights, but even that can be too loud for some of the places I play at. I also find the Tweed Champ is a little too warm sounding on anything other than my Tele bridge pickup.

Shame that I wasn't aware enough to grab a 70s Silverface Champ that my local guitar shop had in a year or so back though. I like the idea of an older amp, that is simple enough to fix if it goes wrong: I found a birth year one for sale recently, but it's about $1,600 (Blackface '65 Champ).

4. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

The official Fender video is a joke. I t sounds like a half stack with a Strymon blue sky on it. COME ON!!!

jgmouton likes this.
  5. ricks57custom

I said it in the other thread and I’ll say it again here, I was at the shoot when he was recording the videos and it sounds like this. We used an SM57, a good ribbon mic, decent mic pres and that’s it. No plugins, outboard gear or tone tweaking in protools.

The reverb is digital hall reverb so it gets lush sounding as you crank it up and he does use a pedal near the end but it’s clearly stated.

Mason is a great player and that always helps but I’m not sure why some people can’t believe that this amp can sound good. I’m totally cool if someone doesn’t care for the tone of our amps but I have to respond if someone is saying that we’re trying to trick people with our videos. It’s just not true.

Lef T, MilwMark, Arfage and 3 others like this.
  6. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

My 2 cents as an amp tech:

1. Tube vs digital reverb:

You may think that you want a tube reverb in your Vibro Champ replica, but believe me, you don't.

There's a reason why a non-reverb Princeton is considered a reasonable hobby build for a beginner, but a Princeton Reverb isn't: The Reverb version has a larger circuit board, along with two extra preamp tubes and a third transformer.

You can't shoehorn a good-sounding Princeton-style Reverb into a Vibro Champ without the extra tubes and iron, plus a decent-sized reverb tank. That's a lot of stuff to squeeze into an all-tube practice amp with a Champ nameplate on it.

From that perspective, the digital reverb circuit is a no-brainer, a cheap add on for the 68 Custom. It's easily defeated, and differentiates it from the real black and silver faced Vibro Champs that are still out there, and pretty affordable.

2. Why Reverb in a Vibro Champ?

Not everyone likes the loose, bassy distortion from a cranked Princeton Reverb, but there are enough of us that the current ones are popular.

Still, they're loud enough to annoy others if you have a young family or a small house. In that application, one 6V6 is greater than two, and thus the Vibro Champ Reverb is born...

3. Why a 10 in a Vibro Champ?

See #2. Original Princeton Reverbs came with a 10", and it was part of the sound. It also keeps the dB's down for home use.

If the 68 Custom Vibro Champ is a Champ with pretensions of being like its big brother, then the 10 seems like a pretty logical upgrade. It also creates space for future FSR versions with a 12.

The price is still a bit of a jaw-dropper for me, but as far as I'm concerned, a Vibro Champ reissue with a decent reverb is just the ticket for home use- it's what my VHT Special 6 dreams of becoming when it grows up!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Lef T, ataylor and Mike M like this.
  7. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

yeah, I can’t figure out why it’s so much higher than a Super Champ X2 or a Bassbreaker 007. Like $300-350 more. Greed I guess.

Mike M likes this.
  8. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Because I really really want it, that's why its so expensive, just to spite me :)

ataylor and srolfeca like this.
  9. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

The 68 Custom line is a higher slot in the product range than the Bassbreakers. They are consistently $3-500 more than their similarly powered counterparts. So no surprises on the price tag. You want greed? Look at used Marshalls on your local Craigslist.

10. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

I've used and loved Fender amps since '69 and that includes the 68 Deluxe Reverb. In fact I plan on getting the Pro, so Fender amps are not being questioned here, not even that one, nor is the guy's playing.

ricks57custom likes this.
  11. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Even then, I’d have Mojotone make a clone before whatever this new amp is supposed to be.

12. ricks57custom

I appreciate that you like fender amps and I'm not trying to start anything because we all hear things differently and its hard to make decisions based on clips online. However, I was there and know what the amp sounds like and all I wanted to make clear is that there isn't any trickery going on besides what I mentioned.

I will say that when we were recording the amp, the guys that help us film our videos were all impressed and I heard a couple of them say "man, I gotta buy that amp!" That made me feel good. I would suggest folks try it in person and see if it works for them. Believe it or not, the product managers at Fender are gear nerds and care about tone. :)

13. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

To me, it is sad that Fender never put out a Champ twin. A champ amp with two cirucits, one black face & one tweed. It would have been better than the power lowering switch on the ECVC. But they could have done two amps in one, with a footswitch

14. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Gries 5. You can do Blackace or Tweed flavors and all points in between with the Gain knob. Also, Mid Knob, Bright Switch, Master Volume, foot switch for the gain knob and 12” speaker.

15. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

I like people that invest time discussing about their products... with their market.

Make me think that you really like what you do.

ataylor likes this.
  16. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Ok, you sold me, just ordered one from Fender.

The next 4-9 days will be the longest of my life :)

ataylor likes this.
  17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Thanks for sharing these insights in your posts on this thread.
    I heard the video and was very impressed.
    That would be right up my alley for a home amp.
    I will try one out for sure.

18. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

I’ve had a real 68 Vibro Champ and the reissue 68 princeton and loved them both BUT neither is good in low volume situations, sorry. I can’t play out and a champ 600 with a couple pedals do the job for me (I have to play in my kitchen, dog and son my only “audience”) Both are great at above 4-5 on the knob but getting there with the family around ain’t going to happen.

19. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Trust me; in a few weeks, when things open up more, I'm going to be trying a lot of stuff, especially the new Pro. Video or no video I would be trying the Champ too if I saw one.

20. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.