Fender 68 Princeton reissue, wheres the love?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mavman, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

I want one!

2. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

Well Verdict is in... I stayed with the Princeton even after having the 68 deluxe here..

Princeton is just to much of a tone monster and a very quiet amp at that as well. The deluxe was great as well but in the matter of tone and dynamics I have stuck with the Princeton.

3. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

I got to try out a 68 CDR and I liked it quite a bit. They didn't have a PR though. I really want to try one out. I liked the Deluxe quite a bit and I didn't find it too loud for my needs. It stayed clean more than halfway up so I thought it had quite a bit of headroom. My super gets hair on it with the volume above 4. I'm using 40 watt amps now so the Deluxe was pretty quiet in comparison. I though the speaker sounded pretty good even though the amp was brand new with no break in at all. I would like to try the a Princeton but I think one of these two amps is in the forecast for me.

4. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If the CPR sounds more like a DR then they have indeed made circuit changes. The Blackface Deluxe Reverb had a very different circuit from its contemporaries, with earlier break up in an era where Leo wanted clean, clean, clean.

The blackface Princeton Reverb had far more in common with its bigger brothers, the Pro and the Twin, than with the Deluxe. The PRRI (based on a 1965 model) preserves that clean tone concept.

Blackface PRs and PRRIs are plenty loud with the right speaker. Jim Campilongo, who is really "Mr. Princeton Reverb", gigs with his and in interviews says he has never had a problem with too little volume. For home use, maybe the DR is more versatile, since you can play it low enough to stay clean, but the original PR is hard to beat.

5. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

So I got myself one of these babies, I'm just in love with the tone I now get from my avri64 tele and my custom shop strat.

I think if I have one criticism it would be that I would link more headroom in the amp. Only because I want to play at volume using this as part of a stereo pair from my Mesa lss when I play in my band.

If I wanted a little less break up, currently starts at 4.5 can anyone advise what I should look to do? Change to a 12" speaker? Put in some different power tubes?

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1. I don't understand the complaints of less headroom. That's specifically how they were designed, for earlier breakup, and a little warmer sound.
    If you want the unmodified version, get the 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue.

gridlock likes this.
  7. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Amen! This amp isn't my cup of tea, but you like it, so keep it.

8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I when I bought my vintage BFPR I got a chance to A/B it with a '68 CPR and both amps sounded spectacular. If I did not get a nice fair deal with my '66 PR I would have purchased the CPR right there and been happy.

9. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

I just put mine on Craigslist this morning. It sounds great cranked, but it has little chime at lower volumes, at least with my Road Worn anyway. With my RW, it's like there's a blanket over the amp. Yuck. Sounds a little better with my Danelectro, which is a brighter sounding guitar.

And yes, they have little to do with a silverface Princeton Reverb other than cosmetics.

10. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I picked up my 68 Custom Princeton Reverb back in October. I previously had a 1964 Princeton Reverb that I had from early 80's thru 2002 before selling (big mistake).
    I A/B'd the 65 PRRI and the 68 Custom in the store for about an hour before deciding on the 68 Custom (much to my surprise!). You have to reduce the bass and increase the treble controls (compared to my previous vintage PR and also the 65 PRRI that I compared it with) on the 68 Custom. I'm thinking of possibly replacing the stock speaker, but so far haven't found it necessary.
    I also have Blues Jr NOS (tweed) that I run in combination with the PR via an ABY pedal. THIS (the two in combination) is really a sound to die for. Haven't had a chance to use this set up live, but would like to.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.