Fender 68 Princeton reissue, wheres the love?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mavman, Jul 7, 2014.

1. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

So I picked up a 68 reissue a couple of weeks ago.. I loved it when I first played thru it.. It was like instant connection.. but after I got home I read all the comments about not enough headroom for cleans.. So I was thinking about taking it back and getting the Deluxe reverb, but I just cant after playing it again today.. The tone is just to perfect even if it you can only crank the cleans to 4.5.. I just dont hear the same tone and sparkle in the Deluxe Reverb.
    I play mostly at home or small places and using this amp for Country Twang with a compressor.. Mostly Country , Hillbilly, rockabilly, Marty Stuart type of stuff.... It just seems its the perfect fit..

Wonder if they are others that find the same scenario about the tone vs the clean headroom of the Deluxe.. and if they stuck with the Princeton as well because of tone and sparkle.

2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's not what others think of your gear, but rather what you feel about it. To me you sound like you are happy with it. If it makes you happy then keep it and use it.

I've often contemplated the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb (CPR) and want to try one, but no one around my area has got one yet. My local mom & pop shop just got a Fender shipment and they said they ordered one, so I'll have to go down there and try it out, if it came in. My only (unfounded) reservation about it, is that it might sound similar to my AC15 as far as crunchiness goes. I might be more inclined to the 65 PRRI, as I don't yet have a true BF/SF Fender. Then again, I do play more crunchy stuff, rock or blues.

3. Morgancolgrave

Morgancolgrave Tele-Meister

I've only just seen the silver face reissues. I love the look of look them. If I was going for a new amp one of them would be on the list.

4. Marky D.

Marky D. Tele-Holic

Haven't tried the SF reissues yet, but loved the BF PR when I tried it.

I do have an original '68 Princeton and an original '65 DR.. and the issue for me is how to tame the highs on the DR (speaker, bright cap, coupling caps). But with the PR, it sounds perfect just left stock, though I've packed away the speaker and have a Weber 10F150 in it. The PR is just a sweeter amp... but can sound bigger w/ a more efficient 10" spkr and a clean boost. I use a Fulltone Fatboost.

I'm surprised they reissued the silverface models..I was chastised on this forum a few years ago for paying $700 for my original drip edge model!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  5. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The '68 Classics are Vintage Modified and aren't reissues in the sense of the '65 Reissues. The Reissues copied the original circuits (albeit on a PCB), the VMs modified the circuits to break up quicker and (in all but the CPR) have a Bassman styled modified channel. Much of the onset of crunch comes from the reduced NFB (higher Ω resistor)with a couple of circuit mods to accept pedals better. The Custom Channels are highly modified tone stacks. They use Celestion "British Voiced" speakers (Ten 30 for the CPR and G12V-70 V-Type for all the others) for more mid range crunch to aide the onset of that crunch. The Schumacher Transformers are supposed to add to the modified vibe.

6. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

I don't like the 68 CPR because it doesn't have enough clean headroom and sounds too bassy for me. But it's fine for playing at home like you do.

7. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

So yesterday I picked up a 68 deluxe reverb as well since yesterday was the last of GC 15 percent off and 30 days to try it out.. After getting it home... I must say the deluxe is growing more on me. The Princeton honestly has best killer sweet spot at about 3.5 hands down.. It is just killer tone right there... The Deluxe however seems to be way more consistent across the board in tone up thru 7 then of course the break up comes in but none of the bottom end flab.... And of course the deluxe has the vintage and modified channels....decisions, decisions.

8. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

I got my 68 CPR earlier this year at GC with a 15% off coupon. Two days later saw a 68 CDR on the local CL that had a weber speaker and different tubes for 750. The guy got it last year and decided he was more interested in his camera hobby this year. Thats been keeping me wondering what if...
    But I find the CPR plenty loud enough for home playing. I can crank it to the sweet spot without being to crazy loud. I've mentioned this in several other threads, but the stock speaker is junk. A weber 10f150t really woke mine up. Clean headroom is a little better. Great amp for playing at home. If you're going to play out at all, stick with the CDR.

9. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I've been playing my CPR with volume about 3.5 and dimed on Tele with'51 Nocasters and it is pure heaven. Super sweet tone and vibrato. It's a great bedroom amp. It's a good match to the '51 Nocasters.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  10. Apfelmann

Apfelmann TDPRI Member

Loving mine! mostly playing with my lacquer Tele or my super-sonic wich has 51 nocaster in it, great sounding amp....Play at 2.5 in my flat and 3 to 6 while practicing/gigging depending on where and with whom i Play

11. fahrner

fahrner NEW MEMBER!

Curious as to how your decision is leaning.
    Kind of the reverse situation here. Brought home a Custom Deluxe Reverb a couple of weeks ago. Really loving it and it seems to work really well with pedals in my home studio.
    Today I fired up my Princeton RI plugging a strat directly into the front of the amp. Wow..... what a great little amp.
    Now I'm wondering what the Custom Princeton sounds like.
    So I'm wondering; did you get a chance to directly compare the Custom Princeton with a Princeton RI? If so, how does the tone differ?

12. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

I didn't get to compare to the other princeton model but I am really impressed with the 68 custom. I really like 68 custom deluxe as well. I haven't made up my mind. I have a couple more weeks left to try them out. Actually thinking about when I sell my marshall to get both

If I was ranking it on pure tone. The princeton wins. Ranking on versatility the deluxe

13. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

The 68's are not reissues. Hence why they're called the Custom '68 amps.

14. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

It's all a matter of perspective and needs. Too loud to one person might be underpowered to another.
    So if you like it, and it works for you, stop worrying and enjoy it :)

Pcaluaru likes this.
  15. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

I'm surprised Fender decide to make the 68 CPR with less clean headroom because IMO the Princeton is above all well known as a wonderful clean sound. I'd have expected a new version with more clean headroom instead...

16. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I loved my Princeton Reverb RI. Put a red Fang in there and it was glorious. But the jones for a Pedal steel was too strong, so I sold that to get the other. Plenty loud and enough headroom with today's PA systems. There is lots of love for the Princeton. It's right there in front of you.

17. fahrner

fahrner NEW MEMBER!

Perhaps many have already seen this but I just found this JustNick demo video last night.
    He confirms the change in the tone stack and towards the end he addresses the 'Head Room' issue.
    Nice demo of the '68 CPR.

18. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

Yeah saw that awhile back, one of the better explanations on the princeton.

19. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

From what I understand the changes or factory modifications are popular mods that were commonly made to these amps in the past. So Fender offers the Series in an already modded form. So far speaker and tube changes are the only mods I've heard if I the Custom series.

Pcaluaru likes this.
  20. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah they're nice amps but let's not call them "silverface reissues."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.