Fender '68 Custom Pro Reverb

clydevanzant

NEW MEMBER!
I bought a new Pro Reverb in October 2021. I've used it for three shows so far. I like it a lot. It has plenty of headroom, and I have yet to get it to break up at all. I haven't turned it up past 4.5 yet. It has much more beef than my Princeton (don't even mention a Blues Jr.), and I like the neo-Creamback too. Better quality sound than a HRD (more resolution, not as 'cheap' sounding). Sweetwater just raised the price for the second time in a year. Grab one while you can before you have to spend $1500 to get one.

Don't use a cheap distortion/overdrive pedal, or you will regret it. It sounds particularly good with a humbucking bridge pickup through the LP setting on an OCD pedal.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Also, I tried two of these Custom Pro Reverb's the same day. The one that I ended up buying sounded much warmer and fuller than the other. Maybe the tubes were biased differently. Maybe it was part tolerances. Who knows?
The one you bought may have been more "broken in" by customers playing it in the store. I had something similar happen with my '68 Silverface Vibrochamp reissue recently. Bought it new in a sealed box. When I first played it it sounded plain and uninspired. After 2 weeks of playing it a couple hours a day the amp really woke up and it has a wonderful sound now! Maybe speaker "break-in," not sure, but it sounds really sweet now.

Last edited:

JayDee

Tele-Holic
The one you bought may have been more "broken in" by customers playing it in the store. I had something similar happen with my '68 Silverface Vibrochamp reissue recently. Bought it new in a sealed box. When I first played it it sounded plain and uninspired. After 2 weeks of playing it a couple hours a day the amp really woke up and it has a wonderful sound now! Maybe speaker "break-in," not sure, but it sounds really sweet now.
Normally, I would agree with that. However, the salesman actually had to go find both of them and unbox them. They were brand new and unplayed.

Cfidave

TDPRI Member
Just received the 68 Pro reverb. I am liking it a lot, both single coils and humbuckers sound really good. Stays clean until about 4.5 on the volume. Very pleasantly surprised with the Neo creamback, well balanced, doesn't lack low end. It is a little bright with my Strat, but EQ fixes that easily.
Great reverb and vibrato, the reverb is more usable knob wise and the Vibrato is some of the best I have heard, on par with my Goodsell Super 17. Size and weight are a big, big plus. The smaller cabinet keeps the volume down to reasonable levels, does not get as loud as 40 watts would make you believe.

Checking the bias on the 6L6's was eye opening. From the factory it was set at 21 MV. Way too cold. I adjusted both tubes to be slightly over 50% max dissipation. Really made the amp come alive. Unbelievably, both power tubes are within 1mv of each other. I got real lucky as I've seen very, very unbalanced power tubes in the DRRI's I have worked on. All in all a great amp, kudos to Fender on this one.

Hossius Maximus

TDPRI Member
Just received the 68 Pro reverb. I am liking it a lot, both single coils and humbuckers sound really good. Stays clean until about 4.5 on the volume. Very pleasantly surprised with the Neo creamback, well balanced, doesn't lack low end. It is a little bright with my Strat, but EQ fixes that easily.
Great reverb and vibrato, the reverb is more usable knob wise and the Vibrato is some of the best I have heard, on par with my Goodsell Super 17. Size and weight are a big, big plus. The smaller cabinet keeps the volume down to reasonable levels, does not get as loud as 40 watts would make you believe.

Checking the bias on the 6L6's was eye opening. From the factory it was set at 21 MV. Way too cold. I adjusted both tubes to be slightly over 50% max dissipation. Really made the amp come alive. Unbelievably, both power tubes are within 1mv of each other. I got real lucky as I've seen very, very unbalanced power tubes in the DRRI's I have worked on. All in all a great amp, kudos to Fender on this one.
Is there any hum or hiss with the Custom Pro Reverb?

Did raising the bias cause a loss of headroom?

Cfidave

TDPRI Member
Surprisingly quiet amp. No hum, just a little hiss past 7 on the volume, below that almost silent. I raised the bias to about 50% max dissipation. I don't think it lowered the headroom, the amp was starting to breakup around 5 on the volume either way. It did sound a ton better with the bias raised where it should be.

drri

Tele-Meister
I'd buy one today if it was the silverface cosmetics lol. Much prefer the blackface look