Fender '68 Custom Pro Reverb

JayDee

Tele-Holic
I've been using it on the job for the past several months. I really like it. The middle control is really helpful to have. I keep it biased cool to get more headroom out of it. This amp has the sound and feel that I've been looking for. The tube bias tremolo is fantastic.
The only bad thing I have found is that one of the tube sockets on mine has a strange issue. Sometimes when you put a tube in that side, it doesn't make contact. It just doesn't light up. I pull it and put it back in. That takes care of it. It's definitely not a problem that you'd expect from a new amp. I like the sound of the amp so much that I'm willing to keep it and fix it later. It's probably just a bad tube socket. They're not soldered to the board, so it should be an easy fix.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Fender Pro...yeah all the way back to
November 1964. One fifteen, two 6L6's,
and tube rectified it bears good meaning, all the way to two twelves
with that same lineup.

If I was RICH then I'd already have the
newest one...at this age maybe the
Pro Jr. is a better fit.

...but it's interesting undeniably.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Does anyone have any experience with the new Fender ‘68 Custom Pro Reverb 1x12” 40 watt?

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?

sorry no help here but if I were in the market for a new fender amp I think this would be the one- I love the specs on it
I jam with a guy who has one and his sounds great. Has that wonderful Fender clean sound similar to a blackface. Sounds kinda similar to a Twin Reverb. The tremelo is swampy and the reverb is cavernous. Sounds good dirty and with pedals too, but don't know how he sets his amp knobs for dirt or what pedals he uses.

I like the specs on it too. 40 watts and only 35 lbs, while the 22 watt Silverface and Blackface Deluxes are 42 lbs. and the Supersonic is 40 lbs. Should be very portable for gigging.

Last edited:

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I’ve played through two at two different GCs. Neither one sounded loud enough to keep up with a Deluxe reverb, much less any other 2 x 6L6 Fender amp I’ve played through.

Maybe I just caught a couple duds…

JayDee

Tele-Holic
I’ve played through two at two different GCs. Neither one sounded loud enough to keep up with a Deluxe reverb, much less any other 2 x 6L6 Fender amp I’ve played through.

I played through a Deluxe Reverb for years. The Custom Pro Reverb is definitely as loud, but doesn't sag as much. It's much firmer in the low end. Like most newer Fender amps, the volume has a huge jump between 4-5 on the knob. Even though this is a 40 Watt amp, it's quieter at 3-4 on the knob than my Deluxe Reverb. That may have something to do with what you heard. Also, I tried two of these Custom Pro Reverb's the same day. The one that I ended up buying sounded much warmer and fuller than the other. Maybe the tubes were biased differently. Maybe it was part tolerances. Who knows?

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I played through a Deluxe Reverb for years. The Custom Pro Reverb is definitely as loud, but doesn't sag as much. It's much firmer in the low end. Like most newer Fender amps, the volume has a huge jump between 4-5 on the knob. Even though this is a 40 Watt amp, it's quieter at 3-4 on the knob than my Deluxe Reverb. That may have something to do with what you heard. Also, I tried two of these Custom Pro Reverb's the same day. The one that I ended up buying sounded much warmer and fuller than the other. Maybe the tubes were biased differently. Maybe it was part tolerances. Who knows?

Good to know thanks. I really want to like the new Pro Reverb, I mean a 2 6L6 1x12 amp, what’s not to love, at least on paper? I’ll have to try out a few others.

Hossius Maximus

TDPRI Member

I just played one at GC. I agree. It wasn’t louder than the Deluxe Reverb. Only one GC out of six or seven in Oregon is even stocking this amp. The salesman in Eugene said he’s never even seen one in their store.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I played one side-by-side a Suhr Bella combo. I liked the Pro better . It had a better “feel” (warmer, spongier, classic Fender Reverb). I then played it side-by-side a ‘65 DRRI. I liked the DRRI better. Might be the speaker. Then I played it side-by-side a Mesa Express 5:50+. No comparison. The Mesa sounded, “felt”, and out performed the Pro in every category (for my ears/taste) except tremolo and weight. The Mesa only has Reverb. The Pro’s trem is outstanding!! Not sure if that helps.
I liked the Pro, but I think for the money Fender is asking you can find a much better amp.

sudogeek

Tele-Holic
I always wanted to like them. Played a bunch. But, my favorite Pro Reverb was my ‘72 TR with two 6L6s pulled. Really. And, as cheap or cheaper nowadays than a vintage Pro Reverb or any of the reissues.

And you’ve always got the option of putting in all 4 power tubes for a big room.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
I definitely like the concept of them. The 2 I've tried out sounded pretty nice - curious how they would have sounded with tubes I like and my choice speaker. The "Middle" control knob is a great addition and really opens up the versatility of the amp.

My main critique of them is the size of the cab kinda limits the resonance and doesn't quite let the sound breathe. I know it adds to the portability, which is a main attraction. The smaller cab puts the speaker in closer proximity to the tubes, which I think over time puts more wear and tear on them from vibrations.