1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FENDER 68 CUSTOM DELUXE SPEAKER UPGRADE?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BigJamEnergy, Jul 8, 2020.

1. BigJamEnergy

BigJamEnergy TDPRI Member

I've had a 68 Custom Deluxe for a year or so now, and to be hones I think it sounds like dog a**. Super flubby/saggy in the bottom end, and generally kind of muddy. Also seems to have very little headroom. Any idea's for an upgrade from the G12 v-70 that may solve some of my issues?
    Much appreciated,
    Stirling

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I can only use my ( sadly gone) real 1968 DR as a reference,
    but as I wanted the amp to be ' big and clean' ( and tonally well balanced), a 120 watt Eminence Red, White, and Blues was a fantastic speaker.
    ( I think the Speaker had just come out, got good initial reviews, and was affordable- I bought it based on Emi's description)

I ran the amp Volume at about 4-5 max, and 'toggled' between that clean and loud tone and a few TS-style OD' ( set at moderate Drive for a distorted tone) set a little louder. It worked great that way ( my tech really liked my speaker choice!)

That DR had a great sound, miss it.

3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hate to be that guy, but it sounds like you should switch to the 65 RI

Speaker change in my 68 CPR made a big difference though. Went from stock celestion to G10 vintage celestion to emi alessandro - which really balanced out the low end mud. I also modded the bass pot by jumpering the resister.

Love that amp. Had the 68 deluxe as well . Liked it, but too loud for me. Now I just run a 1x12 Ext cab with a greenback when I need a bigger sound, and mic it if needed.

tah1962 likes this.
  4. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Alessandro GA-SC64. .

7E2BCC86-CB12-484C-BE6A-0D9C3A6C618A.jpeg

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  5. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

I put a Warehouse Veteran 30 in my 68 CDRRi, and it sounds awesome. More sparkle and less flatulence.

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Whats a CPR? And, when you run your 1x12 extension, is that parallel or in series? I'm looking to add an extension for two reasons: more speaker, and to use the ext cab to elevate my combo, and ditch the stand I've been using.

PS - CPR Custom Princeton Reverb, duh.

7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1...I also put an Alessandro G10SC64 in mine, and completed the 18K resistor bass mod.

gridlock and Axegrinder77 like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

For a normal DR I would recommend:
    Emi GA SC64
    Emi Red White And Blues
    Weber 12F150 50 watt
    Weber Silver Bell 50-75 watt

BUT, You may need to change to the 65RI to clean things up. I dont think the G12-70 is noted as muddy/flabby though....?
    To mod the 68 RI more like a 65 RI, isn't it must a few small things?
    What are your tone settings? I'm usually at 4 bass, and 5.5 treble on a DR.

9. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I unplug the 10 and run the 12 only when I'm doing that. I prefer the sound. And it's 8 ohms, which is what the amp wants.

10. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Part of the perceived low headroom is because of the amp's design. The '68 custom amp series is designed to breakup a little earlier on purpose, compared to the '65 reissue amps (I'm not entirely how to explain it circuit-wise).

Now, to try and fix the amp's output, a speaker with a higher efficiency rating could help.
    I recommend the Eminence Lil' Texas speaker. I tried one in my 65 DRRI, and it was great. The Lil' Texas speaker has great headroom, and has a nice, full low-end and stays tight, too. Great clarity when I had it in my 65 DRRI. Also, having a neodymium magnet means that the speaker weighs in at 4lbs, which makes the amp even more portable.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hate to break it to you - you don't like the amp. Or there is something wrong with yours.

The Celestion V Type is a great speaker. And a great fit for that circuit.

The headroom on the Vintage channel is basically identical to the 65 reissue.

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Darn, not what I wanted to hear. So I'm thinking of adding an extension, but need to decide on two 4 ohm'ers in series, or two 16 ohm'ers in parallel.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  13. BigJamEnergy

Thanks for all the responses! Looks like I will be checking out the Alessandro and the R/W/Blues. And to address some of the questions, While I do run the amp quite loud, often on 6-7, and I am aware that it is supposed to break up early, however when I plug a humbucker into it it sounds like a big muff goin thru a wet paper bag! Clarity and definition totally lost!. Anyways, Thanks a bunch for yalls input. Gonna do a little more research and try something out.
    Keep ya posted

14. BigJamEnergy

ALSO: looking at the alessandro, it is only rated for 40w. What will change if I were to step down from the 70w v-type to 40? Just curious.

15. pesimax

pesimax TDPRI Member

Hi Stirling, I've got a 68 custom, it was pretty flabby... I fitted a Cannabis Rex but it was still quite flabby. This is my work around...

I find using a treble booster in front of it completely reduces the flabby bottom, I put the booster on full and use the guitar volume for clean/dist. The amps volume is on 8 (Treble 6 Bass 4) and use an attenuator to bring down the overall volume down.

Cheers
    George

16. BigJamEnergy

Hmm ok interesting. Ill keep that in mind, treble booster IS something on the list anyways :eek:. Thanks George!

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Love Alnicos in those.
    IMHO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.