Fender '65 Twin Reverb Custom 15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 100LL, Aug 5, 2020.

1. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

So there's one for sale local.

I do NOT need it. yet I'm intrigued.

What say you about the Twin Reverb Custom 15 reissue? pros cons vs the actual twin.

[​IMG]

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  2. sleeperNY

sleeperNY TDPRI Member

There great sounding amps. I used on for over 10 years and loved it. I do like the 15" speakers. It is heavier than a regular twin and that is why I got rid of it. Age can do that to you. I now have a Tone Master Twin and like it a lot.

Jim

3. 100LL

I will admit that it has be thinking. I have a Blues Deluxe and this seems like it might just displace it. hmmmm

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

ive never seen these, but I am a huge fan of 15" speakers In 6l6 powered amps.
    If the price is right, I'd say go for it. 15s historically move air and have more bottom than 12s. So a twin chassis, a twin reverb tank, and a 15 sound awesome to me.

1961mojo and PhredE like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's tend to be good for pedal steel guitars. Hope you got a warehouse to play it in...

PhredE likes this.
  6. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

Love 15” speakers in Fenders. The stock speaker is very stiff/spiky from ones I’ve tried. I own a similar amp, the Vibrasonic Custom, which I put a Big Ben speaker in. I own a 2x12 Twin Reverb and love both equally. The 1x15 is looser, wider, and spongier. The 2x12 is tighter, punchier, and more focused.

7. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I opened a show in Montreal for The McCoys in he mid-sixties. Rick Derringer was 15 then using an original one of those that had been modified by his tech - killer amp.

Love that 15 inch JBL, had one in a modified Ampeg B15XL guitar amp direct from the factory.

Derringer was also a really good player at that young age.

8. 100LL

I'm sort of in a 1 in - 1 out policy now. I told the guy about my Blues Deluxe reissue, which is basically new, and he's interested.

would you trade a Blues Deluxe RI (mint) plus $200 for this bad boy?

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

In a heartbeat. Then I would sell the JBL to make the deal even better. I don’t care for metal dust covers in guitar amps..personal thing. I like the Emi Legend or the Big Ben.
    I have an older friend who has an original 1965 TR that he custom ordered with a 15” back in the day. Great amp. if such a trade were not there to be made but I wanted such an amp, I would find a handwired Vibrasonic from the ‘70s. It is better built than the reissue, imho.

Paul G. and Telecastoff1 like this.
  10. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I too have the similar Custom Vibrasonic amp. Channel one (steel channel)on the CV is pure Twin and with the stock Eminence 15" speaker (cloth cap) and good tune-up and v6 replaced with a good 12AT7, it will idle quietly and sound great in any venue or living room. I really like those 15" Fenders with a Tele plugged into 'em.

powerwagonjohn likes this.
  11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I love Twin Reverbs, one of the greatest amps ever. Sounds good in any setting from bedroom practice to a big hall or club. If BF Fender is your sound, it doesn't get any better.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  12. Wally

FYI, the Steel channel in that Custom Vibrasonic is the modified channel. That channel has been set up to better handle the demands of a pedal steel guitar’s big, low string. For one thing, they removed the cathode bypass cap in the V1 input gain stage.

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

You can change to a paper dust cover on that JBL, or have someone like Weber Speakers do it if you are not confident in your DIY skills. Many JBL players have done that.
    Al

Wally likes this.
  14. Wally

Al, I have two grey JBL D120Fs. I have always wanted them to have something other than metal....mesh,mperhaps. I have had Altec Lansing’s reconed without the metal dust cover and have two 417-8H Altecs that need that done. But then....the market for them with the metal dust cover may outweigh my dislike of metals....and everything eventually will be sold, right? That leaves one in a quandry...lost between what I like and what would be more easily sold. I have never heard a JBL without the metal dust cover. I like Altec A/B/C and H types with Other than metal covers. I have ordered and installed Weber Californias, Weber’s take on a JBL, with mesh covers, iirc....if not they were paper.

15. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I believe you Wally. I'm just repeating what Bruce Zinky told me.

16. Wally

well......there is a reason why they labeled that left channel ‘Steel’. They removed the cathode bypass cap on the input stage in order to decrease the gain just a bit to handle the steel guitar’s output on the low end. They added a cap at the end of the tone stack for that ‘Sweet’ switch. Now, would a guitar player like what goes on there? Maybe.....depends on the player. It might be really good for a player who uses a pedal board with a lot of gain hitting the input of that channel???
    Looking at the ‘Guitar’ channel, they also made a mod to that input stage bypass...calling it a Fat switch. So...neither channel is a pure BF/SF Fender reverb amp channel.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.