Fender 65 Princeton vs. 59 Bassman LTD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by James824, Aug 28, 2021.

1. doof

doof Tele-Holic

I just got a used '65 PRRI a couple months ago and the honeymoon still ain't over, so obviously my vote goes to the Princeton Reverb :) But then get the Bassman a year or two down the road!

beninma likes this.
  2. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I too love my PRRI (and my Silverface mid-70's Princeton) but also have a hankerin' for a Bassman. I currently split the difference with a Boss FBM-1 pedal, but an old, later-model Bassman head in a 2x10 combo cab would do it for me, too.

3. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I have a PRRI.

Just found a used SRRI that's in the shop for a once over.

I got a line on a Bassman LTD that I'll be able to snag in about a month...

I'll report back in about a month...:lol:

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  4. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

Big amps actually sound better at low volume to me. My Bandmaster Reverb with a 4x10 cab or my 3x10 Bandmaster thing with SF Bassman OT both have rich sounds at low volumes that the smaller amps with smaller transformers don't have. But almost all amps are fun...

Axis29 likes this.
  5. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

I've had both and I'd go Reverb. While the Bassman is awesome, it's loud, too loud to turn up and with the Princeton having the reverb, it gives it the leg up in my book. The Bassman is for playing shows, I think. At even at out loudest shows, I'd hardly turn the thing past 5 or so. I now have a Deluxe Reverb and a 5E3 kit I made and am happy as a clam.

6. James824

James824 TDPRI Member

I appreciate the responses, suggestions and questions.

In the end, I elected to step in lightly with a Pro Jr. Yep...I went little. It's me all alone, playing with myself; upstairs.. ;)
    Gonna experiment with some pedals to start and think about possibly adding an extension cab down the road. should be fun.

black_doug, Axis29 and scelestus like this.
  7. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I think that's a great choice!

8. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Meister

I don’t know anything about the bass man , except they sound amazing at stage volume . The Princeton seems like it would do everything you want . Awesome reverb.not too loud . I’m thinking along the same lines myself , but I have this really awesome 17 watt goodsell that does almost everything I want except lower volume

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  9. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I own both and if I could only have one of them, it would be the 59 Bassman.

My Princeton is one of the FSR models of a few years ago that came standard with a 10" Celestion Gold speaker. It is the best sounding Princeton I have ever heard.

I bought my Bassman in the 90's, just after Fender switched the speakers to Jensen P10R alnicos. I have to say of all the amps I own (and I own a bunch), the Bassman is the desert island amp for me.

Axis29 likes this.
  10. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

The PR is more versatile right out of the box because of the reverb and tremolo. No pedals needed. That's an interesting pair of amps to choose from, given how different they are.

I suspect that you'd get better low volume tones out of the PR. I've had the 65 PRRI, and I currently have the 64' Custom Hand Wired PR and the 57' Deluxe. In my way of thinking, perhaps you ought to be comparing the PR and the Deluxe as they are the same wattage, same size, all be it totally different sounding? Good tone can be had with the both the PR and the Deluxe at conversation levels.

11. David C

David C Tele-Meister

One thing is fairly certain to me after reading this post. You will find as many answers as there are people. The good news is that you aren't limited to just one amp. If you're like most of us here, curiosity will get to you eventually and you will pursue the other amp that you didn't pick today.
    Personally, I find that amps with two or more speakers have more appeal to me. It isn't about the volume, it's about the overall sound. But that's me. You do what you think you can afford and have a great journey along the way.

James824 likes this.
  12. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Meister

I agree , I don’t need /want any pedals other than reverb or them , if the amp itself can provide some lower volume breakup . Gonna find that perfect combo someday - soon....

Jared Purdy likes this.
  13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

In describing a '65 tweed Princeton, I'm guessing you're referring the to the Sweetwater PRRI Special Edition. I have that amp. At 15 watts with a 12" C-Rex speaker, it's a very loud amp. I swapped the C-Rex out for a Celestion because I have very specific needs for this amp, and it is still an absolutely killer little amp.

If you were playing Allman Bros. blues in a big room I'd say go for the Bassman in a heartbeat. In your bedroom, the '65 PRRI will give you all the sound youy'll ever need.

14. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

Those are really dissimilar amps.

If you gig and have an audience that consists of human beings who have unlimbered their wallets to see you play, consider the Bassman.

If you don't gig, and your audience is your cat, dog or wife, who would never pay to see you play, consider the Princeton.

Great tone either way. Historic guitar amps either way. Volume is ... different.

15. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a ‘68 PRRI. Not the same as the ‘65, but I will tell you it’s a great amp. It sounds great with my Fender guitars. It also handles humbuckers and filtertrons wonderfully. I’ve had it for 6 months and haven’t fired up my ‘65 DRRI since. Great living room amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.