1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender 65 Princeton Reverb vs 68 custom PR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LiteAsh, Mar 5, 2017.

for me best option is

1. Fender 65 Princeton Reverb

48.7%
  2. Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb

41.0%
  3. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Head and cab

10.3%
  1. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

what you think about this amps? Whats main differences? It is comparable with DRRI 65? Dont have chance to try any of this amps now so please give me your experiences.

2. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Depends what kind of music you play and your volume requirements. The 68 breaks up earlier than the others. You should watch lots of videos if you can't try them.

3. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

Thanks Rialto, I'm deep in videos last days but still...Original idea was 65 DRRI head mostly because different cabs posibillity. PRs also have external speaker output so I can satisfy my "build cabinet" desire with them to. 80% or more is in home playing (not very loud).
    Now play blues junior (Fromel supreme kit moded). (Tele and LesPaul). I'm interested to try difference between EL84 and 6V6...

4. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

For home playing the PR will be more than loud enough.

Let me suggest some Jim Campilongo videos on YouTube if you want to hear what one sounds like turned up and in a club setting. The Tele really shines through them.

Anyway, those would all be nice amps to have.

vashondan likes this.
  5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big fan of the 68 SFPR reissue. I am not a fan of the 65 PR or DR reissue amps.

Have fun...

6. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Useful question, hard question. Both amps have fans and detractors. A too-simple summary: Some think the PRRI has too much treble, some think the CPR has too much bass. The CPR does break up a little earlier, but the breakup is still PR subtle, nothing massive or crunchy or thick.

You've probably done it, but a search here for "68 CPR" or "68 Princeton Reverb" will turn up a lot of useful discussion back when the '68 came out. I tried a CPR and a PRRI at Guitar Center and found the latter too bright, shrill, ice-pick for me. These issues are usually blamed on the reissue Jensen. So I got a CPR, tried a bunch of tweaks and speaker swaps for a year or so, mostly liked it, but in the end found it was still too bass-heavy and too dull at household volumes. The guy I sold it to uses it for gigs in smaller venues, turns it up a lot more, and gets a nicer sound. If I had to do it again, I might try the PRRI and a speaker swap, something like a 60s or 70s CTS alnico.

The YouTube videos I watched didn't actually help as much as I hoped. I've heard pros demo both the CPR and PRRI and capture that magic PR tone. Jim Campilongo sounds amazing on both, IIRC, but he uses some special magic that sounds great with the controls mostly on 10, something no one else can do.

It sounds odd but you might even try to find amateur videos and decide which amp sounds *worse* to you.

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I have always liked the 68 ... but in all fairness I've never had all three side by side for a true comparison .

8. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Stepping into dangerous territory with my comments below, but just something to think about.

PRRI will be a brighter amp than you Blues Jr. - if that is what you are looking for I would go that route, most likely you won't get into much if any 'distort' with the amp at home volume playing, but I don't know your setup so you might be able to dime it.

68 CPR is a bit darker - I'm not a huge Celestion speaker guy and think they should be left to British styled amps, but that's just me. This amp will be closer sounding to what you currently have.

Are you wanting just a different sound? Do you want the amp to over drive at home? Ever thought about picking up a Tweed deluxe/Princeton/Champ clone? That would be the direction I'd go, or even a SF Vibro Champ, they can be had for less money and can sound very good with a few updates.

King Fan likes this.
  9. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    The difference between the two types of power tubes will be a lot less if than you think.. it's more the circuit that you will be hear. Just listen to the amps with both in them, when you are able to which back and forth... I think it more subtle than most people would expect.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

FWIW I hear a BJR as FAR brighter than a PR.

11. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

I've had the NOS Tweed Blues Jr, the 65 Reissues, and the 68 Custom versions of both the Princeton and the Deluxe.

First off, the Blues Jr. just isn't in the same ballpark. It was a stepping stone on my path toward better Fender amps and that's how I'll always think of Blues Jrs.
    I play 85% at home and the other 15% I'm just having fun with friends and the Princetons don't need to be absolutely clean... they won't be. The Deluxes have no problem hanging with volume and sound good at home volumes.

The 65 Princeton was my favorite factory amp for home playing (not reaching distortion often).
    The 68 Princeton gave me a better tone once I put a Celestion Gold in it. Some of my best tones I've ever gotten!
    The 65 Deluxe Reverb RI benefits greatly from a speaker and tube swap. I overhauled mine and it's the best I've ever gotten. I don't think I could settle for less in terms of using a Princeton after playing the Deluxe.
    The 68 is fun and great for someone who can crank it often, but wasn't for me.

12. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

what kind of speaker did you put in your deluxe?

13. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've played the '65 PR and the '68 pr side-by-side in my usual music store and for me there was no trouble picking what I liked best. The '65 sounded more harsh and 'spikey' to my ears. The breakup point was similar but the '68 just sounded more rounded and, well, I guess 'plush' is a good word for it. It sounded more refined and accurate somehow. I'm finding it hard to describe, but it was really an easy choice for me to move to the '68. I love it!

jimash and Big_Bend like this.
  14. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

I started with a Celestion Gold and it's hard not to love that speaker in any amp, but it colored the amps voice more than I wanted. I installed an Eminence Cannabis Rex into it and, like many others, feel like this is THE speaker for the DRRI.

15. koko1

koko1 TDPRI Member

I have a '65PRRI and can say, that the original Jensen is somehow crisp and in the basses a bit flattery. I replaced it with a Celestion 10 Greenback (made in England) as in the FSR. The sound is rounder now, no flattery basses, but less highs. I would like to have a sound in the mid of both speakers, but have yet not found it. Have to say, that i play the PRRI mostly at home and around 3 on volume, but i think the real PR sound comes over 5 on the volume knob.

16. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

I have a 65 PRRI Limited Edition with a Jensen Alnico P10Q...no brittleness or ice pick highs. I may experiment with ceramic speakers for the heck of it. We will see! But yeah...I think the stock PRRI needs some time for the speaker to break in so it's not so brittle, from what I hear.

17. koko1

koko1 TDPRI Member

For comparision between 68 Custom vs 65 PRRI, as I know, the 68 Custom has the Bassman tone circuit, which is basically "warmer" and (for me) more compressed sounding than the "normal" Blackface circuit.

18. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

Thanks for answers. I'm now very happy with 68 cpr. It is "bassy" but I like it for now. It is very quiet (no buzz, humm...). Reverb and vibrato are very nice to. And it is LOUD...

19. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I love the tones from a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb.
    That's my vote.

jimash likes this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I greatly prefer Deluxe Reverbs to Princeton Reverbs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.