1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

fender 65 deluxe reverb vs 68 deluxe reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by slinger, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Because on the 68 one channel is "Custom" and the other is "Vintage". It's not the same setup as the 65.

ce24 likes this.
  2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

There's a lot of disinformation going around about these two series of amps. The truth is that Fender has taken the Reissue series, made some minor tweaks that players have been making since they first came out, had them built in Mexico, and are offering them as stock on a new series. They even use the same circuit boards to build these amps and just change a few components and use jumper wires to add a few features such as both channels offering reverb and trem.

Now, as to the "modern" EQ stack, really what they've done is changed a couple of components to change the frequency response of the channel to resemble that of a Bassman. Anyone with a soldering iron can switch the channels back and forth between '65 RI and '68 Csutom spec. Bradpix on this forum actually plotted the response. The other significant change is an alteration of the negative feedback value offering less on the '68 Custom series. What does that do? The '68 Custom amps enter distortion at a lower level and move into distortion more smoothly. They also feel more compressed as you lean into them. That's a single component change. The other difference are down to the speakers they use in each of them.

I own both a '65 DRRI and a '68 Custom Princeton. I compared the '65 Princeton RI and the '68 Custom Princeton side-by-side before I bought mine. The '65 PRRI feels stiffer, has more headroom, sounds thinner and sparklier when clean, and enters distortion very quickly with a "blat." The '68 Cusomt Princeton sounds louder and fuller at the bottom of the volume control, sounds more rounded and not as ice picky, and enters distortion more smoothly and at a lower point on the volume dial.

You can read my review of the '68 Custom Princeton and more about my comparisons HERE and see bradpix's frequency plots as well.

All the best,

Bob

King Fan likes this.
  3. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

The comments in that video are some of the funniest I've read!

ce24 likes this.
  4. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

On the like for like ones :

i hear the '68 vintage channel having way less gain/distortion than the '65 on volume 4 in the Guitarist video. '65's bright cap pushing the highs more but also more highs on vol 10 and much more reverb.

I've read that the '68's come stock with jj 6v6s (GT) with a suitably higher bias and that these bigger bottles have more clean headroom like 6L6 but not the same. Despite less NFB, that sounds like its the case ... but what do i know.

RobRob,
    i enjoyed seeing the differences on the schematic thanks. i think its a shame they reduced the reverb level on the 68's . Sounds like they did on the '68 CVR as well. One value changed resistor eh !

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  5. Zecsson

Zecsson TDPRI Member

I've tried '65 at GC in LA, and I really like it. Thinking to add it with my AC15c1. Could be perfect combination!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.