Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb vs 68 custom vs Supersonic 22?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Activateclint, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Activateclint

Activateclint TDPRI Member

So i'm wondering about the reissues, i like them all it seems and probably wont get to play all (certainly not side-by-side) due to limited supply, covid and just what will be in my area/country (Gold Coast Queensland AUS) but all can be ordered online.

They all seem to have/share the same base circuit on one of their channels from what it looks... Either channel (allegedly) on a 65, 'Vintage' on a 68 and the Clean channel (no 'fat' switch) on the SS22.

In my mind the 65 is more balanced and has Marshall like edge-of-breakup with bite when pushed i guess which i like, 68 is 'glassier' clean maybe with a fizzier edge-of-breakup i'm not fond of, and the SS22 maybe creamier but less defined edge-of-breakup but super versatile with the footswitch options but the speaker seems less efficient or less clean headroom or something...

Think i like the 65 with pedals best, 68 cleans & looks slightly more (provided there isn't hum and ticking issues). Hoping for the best bits of all from the Super-Sonic. Not too fussed about the vibrato/tremolo.

They all appear to sound different, so question is with the exact same speaker and tubes (if they differ) would that channel sound fairly identical? Would they also all then have the same clean headroom?

I play tele, sometimes a strat just wondering if i go with the SS22 can i get close to the 65 or 68 tone by a speaker swap?

Thanks all :)

2. Tom Quartz

Tom Quartz TDPRI Member

The Supersonic is very much it's own thing, but will get you in the "Fender sound" territory. Are you sold on Fender exclusively? You might want to check out something like a Koch or a Revv.

3. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Of those the '68 is something of a noisy hack that could have been done right but probably got the final design approval from a finance MBA. I'm sitting right next to one that's collecting dust after many hours of trying to make something out of it.

jgmouton likes this.
  4. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I own the SS22 and the 65 DRRI.
    The best bits are in the stock SS22 imo.

teleplayr, BlueCajun and Askwhy like this.
  5. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

The Super-Sonic definitely has the Fender sound, but WAY more gain on tap than any Fender I've played. If you are interested in getting medium-high gain tones with no pedals, and having that glassy, sorta' scooped mid Fender clean sound, the Super-Sonic can do it.

teleplayr likes this.
  6. Activateclint

Thanks for the reply!
    It's own thing in what way would you describe?
    Haven't seen the Revv and don't know much about the Koch but will look into them, my budget is about what the the ones I mentioned are. $2000 here in AUS.
    Ironically Greg Koch I saw has been using the supersonic for his live stuff haha.

7. Activateclint

That's what I'm afraid of :(.

8. Activateclint

Thanks for the reply! Any reliability issues and enough clean headroom with a 'responsible' drummer?

9. Activateclint

Ok cheers!
    My thought is to put an eq/boost and a delay in the effects loop for solos.
    What kind of amp or pedal gain sound would you liken it to?

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you want clean and breakup from one Fender, plus ability to work with a drummer in varied conditions, skip all those and get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV. Cheaper and better, IME. I’ve owned all 3 of those you are looking at. All fine amps. The HRD IV was the keeper for me.

11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

No issues in approx 10 yrs I’ve had one.
    Plenty of headroom to compete with a healthy drummer.
    The emi lightning speaker is a good one for this amp.
    Not felt the need to swap it out.
    A good deluxe channel + great drive channel and fx loop make it a winner on your list.

Drew617 likes this.
  12. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Afflicted

I've owned two BF Deluxe Reverbs (1964 and 1966), which I sold back in 2001.
    I was looking for another DR a few years back so took my favorite Strat and pedal board to
    try the 65 RI and the 68 Custom (thinking I'd end up liking the 65 RI best).
    After spending an hour or so A/B'ing the two amps, I ended up taking the 68 Custom home with me.
    The two distinct sounding channels, reverb/vibrato on both and the ability to jumper or run both channels at same time sold me.
    I even like the stock speaker in the 68 Custom DR. It's what I wished my previous DR's sounded like.
    I never got a chance to play a Supersonic 22, but the gain channel kind of turned me off.
    With the 68 Custom and pedals, I can get where I want to be going.

13. randym

randym Tele-Meister

I have the SS22 head. I like the normal channel with the fat switch on or off, and the gain channel can go from just a little (no need for a Tubescreamer, etc) to Neil Young territory.

I run into a 2x10 Tremolux cabinet, but can also do a 1x12 or other combinations of speakers.

And having the foot-switchable effects loop is a plus.

14. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

Hmmm. I will have to strongly disagree that the SS is its own thing relative to a DRRI, unless you mean strictly the gain channel. You can get an exact DRRI sound out of the clean channel on normal and then you have the fat setting and the whole second channel. Very versatile and i would always choose it over the DRRI, provided you get a good example (which applies to any amp). If you love the custom channel on the 68 and are okay with the noise at idle, i would say that is much more of it's own thing and won't be there in the DRRI or SS, although the SS on the fat setting/clean channel may be close enough for you.

jgmouton and Drew617 like this.
  15. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

Whole separate topic, lol, but i have found 22 watts to be just a bit underpowered in many unmiced situations. If you are always going to be miced it doesn't matter but i like the choice of clean vs pushed to be mine, so i like 30+watts for bands. There are workarounds of course, mine is a palmer DI and a great powered speaker instead of an extension cab. A vibrolux and pedals is awesome or if you like the SS, they have the 60 watt combo or head.

Drew617 likes this.
  16. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I used to own a SS22 and loved it. Only sold it because I got a really good deal on an Allen Accomplice Jr. But I do miss that SS22. It covered so much sonic territory, and it sounded good both at home as well as with a band.

17. Activateclint

Appreciate all the replies!!
    So I went with what I think I wanted all along haha the 68 custom deluxe.
    30 days no questions asked returns, 2 yrs warranty and 12 months interest free and can claim it on tax being a soloist full time :). Figured if there was any issues with hiss and ticks I'll just send it back. Plus from the reviews I'm keen on A/B with vintage and Bassman channels and jumpering the channels etc. I have a bunch of overdrives thatll do the job also.
    Should be here in the next few days. Probably would've gone the SS if it had been around but wasn't.

Thanks all!

Drew617 likes this.
  18. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Agree about the 22 watts mostly. I don’t need all of the decibels available, but do need punchy cleans. I do find that a huge, loud speaker - ie. not the V-type in my 68CDR - gets these amps there however. A Swamp Thang is fantastic, much fun.

Not sure what the MBAs are supposed to have broken but of these amps, to me, the 68 is the winner. I’ve owned the SS and found the 68’s two channels more useful, therefore more flexible, for my needs. I’ve played a handful of 65s and found them all harsh.

19. Activateclint

Oh ok thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting my 68. I'm sure the stock speaker will be fine at home which begs the question...

What would everyone reccomend in terms of efficient speakers and possibly preamp tube replacements to get higher clean headroom if needed in these amps?

20. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

I really can't answer that, as I don't use any gain/distortion pedals, never have. The Super-Sonic can be sorta' Marshall-esque, and with liberal amounts of gain, it can "sing" like a Carlos Santana Mesa Boogie sound. It is not quite as harmonically rich as my Orange Tiny Terror, but it is very close. Even at medium gain, the Orange will just bloom into musical feedback if you sustain a power chord. But the Fender, on the clean channel, has headroom that the Orange can't touch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.