1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI thin & hissy/buzzy

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Rigel7, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

Any amp doctors in the house?
    Lately my amp has been a bit... lacking. I've played its modern siblings in L&M lately and it struck me how full they sound, even on 3. Mine just seems to be dead. 5 is the new 3, but it's still lacking. Dimed it's loud (obviously) but still weightless. I used to play on 2 at home, 3 in the bar, and 4-5 if the loud guy was out that night.
    I've noticed with pedals the clean is thin and lacking, as above, but when you kick something in it's like it's giving you full, normal volume PLUS the pedal. (Except for a fuzz face, which sounds like one sad bee, dying alone without honey far, far from the hive).
    Direct into the amp it's the same. Thin with a lot of cycle noise and such. Normal channel and vibrato are giving me the same results.
    It's from around 2007 or so, I'm the only owner. It's had a couple tube changes since then, and some caps replaced (tech did them, not my area so unfortunately I couldn't tell you which ones).
    I figure it's something shared by both halves of the amp... but beyond that I've got nothing.
    Any thoughts, ideas?
    Thanks gang.

2. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Hopefully some folks with real tech knowledge will chime in.......but that's not me lol.

Anyway, years ago I had sorta similar issue with a DRRI. The problem with that one turned out to be only one power tube was working and a burnt screen resistor and PCB trace. Other than trying new tubes to eliminate the "simple fix", there could be several possible reasons - especially with work already done previously on that amp. A little time with an experienced tech would probably be a good investment. Good luck!

3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

You could replace the PI, power and rectifier tubes...see if that solves it. Beyond that, you will need to open it up and test voltage levels. Going through Rob’s startup procedure is also a good troubleshooting process when the problem isn’t obvious.

https://robrobinette.com/Tube_Amp_Startup.htm

A word of caution, the voltage levels are high enough to cause death if you touch the wrong thing. So either do some research to learn about amp safety or just take it to a tech.

4. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

Yeah, beyond swapping tubes I draw the line at my own amp teching. Too risky for my knowledge base.

5. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

Filter caps. He tells me it was the filter caps that were replaced.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.