fender 63 vibroverb reissue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Donald77, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Donald77

Donald77 TDPRI Member

Ok, who has one, and what do you guys think of it :confused:

Attached Files:

Wicked-T likes this.
  2. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I had one in the early 90's. I believe it was one of the first RI amps that Fender did. It had incredible tone. I have not heard anything that comes close to the reverb & tremolo channel, it just drips. Best sounding amp I ever owned. Had it for about 3 years. I got frustrated with the guitar & sold all my gear. 4 years later I kicked myself in the ass for being so stupid. I sold it to one of my college professors & he still has it.

3. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I bought one new in 1992...... It had almost all Chinese tubes, both preamp and power tubes.. I replaced all of them... I put all new Groove Tubes in the preamp slots, except one, which was a Fender USA, I think.. I put in Svetlana 6L6s for power tubes.. It made a good bit of difference for the better. The stock speakers are the real weak link in these amps, and by now, I think most owners have replaced those because of all the info that is on the internet these days.. I replaced my speakers only a year ago and now the amp is a real monster.. Fabulous sounding amp. The reverb and tremelo, especially the tremelo, are as good as it gets. The speakers that I got were highly recommended for this amp by all the people I trust the most who are on this TDPRI web sight. They are the Eminence 1028K alnicos, rated at 35 watts each, and they are inexpensive and amazing.. Earliest versions of this amp were reportedly biased a bit on the cold side.. Mine was biased at the shop that recommended the Svetlana power tubes. That was 15 years ago, at least, and they still sound great. I don't play this amp a whole lot, though, so that is certainly a reason for their longevity. A bias pot is a popular mod, and one that can be removed if one wants it to go back to stock. The pot is put in the place where the ground switch on the back goes. The stock switch is a dummy switch, as it is not needed with the three prong plug.. I love mine.. It is very light weight for a 40 watt all tube Fender amp, and sounds fabulous. It does, however have a printed circuit board. I have never had a problem with mine after almost 24 years.. I put an after market cover on it when it was almost new, and it still looks almost mint. Considered "THE BEST" reissue ever made by Fender by many.. Lots of info on this web sight about this amp.. Lots of eyebrows go up, when seen by other veteran musicians. Good luck! :):):)

4. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I had one years ago with JBLs in it. If you like your reverb and trem it's great. The stock speakers didn't do much for me. The JBLs made it fuller sounding and about 1/3 louder (and a lot heavier).

5. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

Totally agree. Fender's best reissue. All it needs is speakers, tubes and a bias pot. What a mistake for them to mod it into the "custom" vibrolux reverb.:rolleyes:

6. telesteel

telesteel TDPRI Member

I've got one that I bought new in 1992. Awesome amp. I actually like the stock speakers, but I don't crank the amp because I like a cleaner sound. Don't worry about the PCB, these things are built solid. Not a single problem with mine.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I was testing out some new pickups last night... I plugged into two of my amps and liked what I heard... then I decided I hadn't played through my Vibroverb enough lately.

Warm, fat, drippy tone. Why do I not always play through this amp? LOL

It is truly my desert island amp. But, I also changed the speakers (I have a pair of Jensen RI's in it, a C10R and P10R). I love the bias vary trem and the reverb just sounds so rich and lush. Every time I plug into it, it makes me smile.

8. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

I have one I bought on ebay about 2 years ago. I'll never get rid of it. I've replaced the grill cloth, put an adjustable bias, and a couple of recaps and that's it. It already had a pair of Eminence Copperheads in it. Lovely tone. The reverb is a little weak on mine and at some point I'll probably have to deal with that. Killer amp all the way around though.

9. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

I got one of these used at a guitar store and really liked it, and about a year later one of them popped up on CL for some ridiculously low price and I bought that one too. One of them I have kept bone stock and the other has Weber alnico speakers. The reverb and tremolo are both great, and the amp has a very usable low volume sound despite being something like 35 watts. It doesn't have that on-off effect like the volume of a tweed Deluxe type amp, so it's as useful a late-night amp as a Champ IMO. And at lower volumes the stock speakers sound great.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mine was bone stock.
    Gigged it for years and loved it.
    Sold it to finance a 5E3 clone that I use as a backup (or chained with) my original one.
    One of the great tones to die for turned all the way to 10.

11. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

I had one for a while. It was really nice. SUPER loud. Doesn't break up until you're rattling walls, but it sure sounds great.

Nice reverb too. Different than the blackface reverb. Not so surfy, more roomy, but really beautiful.

12. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

I had one in the early 90's until about '97-'98. I liked it but it was kind of a one-trick pony. I got rid of it for Fender HR Deluxe.

13. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister

I bought a 1992 63 VVRI in 2001 or so, and it's been my main amp ever since. I replaced the Oxfords with Jensen RI C10Qs, installed SED 6L6s, replaced the 47 pf bright cap with a 120 pf one for more high-end brightness at low volume and had a bias pot installed. I also built a matching brown tolex/wheat grille extension cab with a Jensen RI C12N to balance the lows and get the amp off the ground. If I had unlimited resources and this were my career, I'd buy and play a BF Vibrolux Reverb, but this is a hobby, so this will do and then some. It is among the best Fender reissue amps, even if it has a PCB.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

And it's a solid state rectifier.
    When I first got mine, I had only ever had older tube amps and I was romanced with the way the notes seemed to jump out of it.
    After awhile I noticed it was missing something that I couldn't really put my finger on...then I learned about sag...that was it.

15. Rod Parsons

Yes! I notice the lack of sag also.. My Princeton Reverb with a 5U4 or a 5R4 sags in a very cool bluesy way.. I love that sound. I read awhile back about a certain rectifier mod that would put the sag back into the Vibroverb reissue... But I forgot what it was. Some have replaced the SS rectifier with a tube one, putting in another socket, but that is expensive and invasive.. I wish I could remember what the less invasive mod was.. I will investigate that again...However, the sound mine makes is still very good. I wish they came with the tube rectifier, [5U4],when they were new. The older vintage amps with the more efficient 5AR4, [GZ34], wouldn't sag much anyway..

16. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister

It's true that the VVRI lacks the tube rectifier of the original amp, but I don't miss it and actually prefer the ss rectifier -- after all, a Twin Reverb doesn't have a tube rectifier either. I understand that a less invasive mod to replace the stock ss rectifier without the effort required to retrofit a tube rectifier circuit is the use of FREDs (a different type of fast-reacting diode), according to the old Tonequest articles on this amp.

17. Rod Parsons

Yes! That's the mod I was trying to think of.. Thanks!

18. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

It really isn't a reissue, because it is not built like the original. meh...

19. bionic muffins

bionic muffins TDPRI Member

I just got one of these yesterday and I have a few things I would like to tweak just a tad.

once I get it up over 5 or so, I can hear a great tone in there but it has this ratty high end thing going on that sounds like a cheap pair of distorted headphones playing in tandem behind the amp. like there is some grittiness in the high end. and also the low end is a wee bit flubby that would be cool if it tightened up a little.

also, I replaced the power amp tubes which made a better difference but I would like for the trem to be a little stronger. any way to fix that with tube selection? it dosnt really "vibro" that much once the amp is up over 5.

thx for any insight!

20. bionic muffins

bionic muffins TDPRI Member

I'm able to pick up two fender blue frame alnicos tmrw for a good price. But I read that some were 20w and some made were 35 watts? Either way will this be a problem in my 35w 63 vibroverb ri? Can someone clarify?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.