1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender 5W or less Amps (cleans)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KnopflerStyle, Nov 2, 2020.

1. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Why ?

I mean, why Fender dont work in fully valve amps with 5 or less watts.

Most of the time, we play at home, studio, not live. Why i cant find a decent Fender clean tone at low Wattage.

Many manufacturers have options there. Fender nothing. Seems that low wattage is for Digital or Transistors. i dont like them. really.

I would buy a 5W Fender amp, with vintage look and clean sounds.

I still cant find the reason... Tone Master is an alternative, but i want valve.... low wattage.

Dismalhead and Coloradotwanger like this.
  2. bgemill

bgemill TDPRI Member

buy a silver face champ...that's what i did

Paul G. and Boreas like this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You want a Princeton Reverb. A bit more than 5w, but so what?

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  4. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Hi,
    Don't know if you are a builder or know someone who does. But if so, try this circuit I just posted in the shock bros diy amps forum: It's a 5W champ married with Fender Reverb. It sounds fantastic and can stay very clean, above where Champs generally break up. I used an oversized power transformer for this build, extra filtering and a few other changes that really make this a clean version of a Champ.
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/single-ended-reverb-amp-progress.1053246/

5. KnopflerStyle

70s amp with 8" speaker... i respect it... but seriously, with all the tech right now...

I want a 12" or 212 or 210 ("vibro" style), 5W all valve (probably with 1W and 0.5W modes), 6L6 or 6V6, with reverb and tremolo, Fender Clean Amp.

6. KnopflerStyle

12W is a lot for home use.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like my 69 Vibro-champ, but it sounds like you need to build what you want or go boutique. You may find something in their tweed line that you would like, but I doubt it. Not many 2-5 W tube amps out there with 12" speakers.

jman72 likes this.
  8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Fender champ, champ 600, fender greta?

9. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Try looking at the Bassbreaker 007. Like it suggests it's 7 watts. Wont come any less than that with Fender. It's a well built amp and has some nice clean tones plus all the grind you want.

Not Blackface clean but still...

Don't think you'll find anything that low wattage with 212 or 210. The Bassbreaker comes as a head so you could find a bottom that suits you. It pushes my 112 just fine.

That's all I got

Coloradotwanger and old soul like this.
  10. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just re-read your original post. With a lo-watt tube amp, you aren't likely to get clean tones except at the lowest volume level. This is because it is too easy to overdrive the tubes - causing distortion. The "cleanest" amps are usually hi-wattage amps that typically do not distort until your ears are bleeding. Pedal steel players are usually looking for very clean amps and often settle on 100+ watt amps! So as a rule of thumb, if you want clean tones - especially pushing twin speakers, you will need more wattage, not less. In my opinion anyway...

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  11. KnopflerStyle

Well that depends. 5W is more than enough for clean tones.

And i guess it will depend of the kind of valve , circuit. But IMO you can play at 2 / 3 with a 5W amp, sound very good and not neccesary loud.

There are some manufacturers with 5W and 210 or 212 / 112. Also less W with attenuator that works pretty decent.

A twin reverb its an impossible amp for house playing. Also a Deville or any other Fender. Probably with a Blues jr or a princeton you can do something. but i still find 10W or more, a huge wattage for home. Even for recording, you dont need that if you have a decent speaker emulator.

I still very upset with this topic. Probably the majority play at home, live in apartments, and we have to buy transistor things or digital to practice at home. While we spend probably more than 90% playing in that way, and leaving the 10% for the good tone.

I cant find a tech reason. i want my 5W amp, Fender clean tone with huge cabinet 112 or 212 or 210 and decent tones at 5W

Drew617 likes this.
  12. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

Get someone to build you something to your specifications. There would probably be someone on here local to you who would be willing to help you out. This way, you can get the cab size/speaker configuration you want.

I know what you mean about good sounding low wattage amps.

Mad Kiwi and Drew617 like this.
  13. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

If you want to play clean, anything from 8-200 Watts is fine.

JamesAM, refin, Axis29 and 2 others like this.
  14. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Some of the micro amps might float your boat. Usually they are designed to break up but they could go to the clean side with the right parts. Many of the low wattage amps are cathode biased single power tube amplifiers. The micro amps use low wattage tubes yet retain the phase inverter which would help to retain the blackface type clean better than a single tube amp. Rob has a couple versions of micro amps on his site.

Have a listen to this clean version of a 5F6A circuit on youtube:
    Micro Reverbman-Amp Tweed Bassman 5F6-A Circuit

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I love my Fender cleans too. To get in the 5 watt territory, I bought a VHT Special 6 Ultra. It gives that Fendery 6V6 clean very well at low volume.

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Νο it's not.
    You can use the volume knob right there on the pannel :)

Also the difference in db betweeb 5 and 12 watts is miniscule (loudness is not measured by watts anyway).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  17. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

A Princeton can be pretty damn loud for home, at least by the time you've opened it up and are getting any sort of sustain or dynamic mojo out of the thing. Turned way down it'll be stiff and clean, and IMO you might do as well with something like a Frontman. Conversely, as was pointed out in another thread recently, a Twin Reverb is a totally decent amp at bedroom volume although you won't be getting sustain out of it either. There are a lot of factors that go into that discrepancy, some of them interactive, and not all of which I understand.

But it's totally possible to get juicy Fender tube tone in a very low watt amp, just not one you can buy at Guitar Center: See Rob Robinette's one-watt Blackvibe Micro. I've got one that I built over the summer in a Vibro Champ chassis and cab. It's a ton of fun, is a real blackface preamp circuit, can be made to break up, sustain, and sounds very legit at apartment volumes. IIRC Rob recommends a fairly heavy speaker with that amp which is, respectfully and IMO, wrong. I think you want something cheap and light that'll be easily excited at < 1W.

Not simple to acquire but 100% achievable. If you have access to a tech or builder who could make one for you. If I remember correctly my BOM was around $650 USD.

If limited to production amps, yeah: BF/SF Champ. They are very much their own thing but very nice. Or a Special 6 if you're not into irrational collector value, which even the crappiest SFs are now subject to.

18. amateurastrologer

amateurastrologer TDPRI Member

I have a 5w Tweed Champ RI and a 100w SF Twin Reverb, they sound quite different of course but the Twin is easier to get a useable clean tone from at low volume. The Champ needs to be pushed a bit to get that rich dynamic clean, but it's too loud for my apartment at that point. The Twin has a master volume, I know purists don't like that but it really helps push the front end while keeping the volume low enough for home use.

Axis29 likes this.
  19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

A tweed champ is nice - noting that 5 watts is still WAY too loud for home (late night or bedroom levels etc..). You'd still use it at around 30% most of the time

That's how it is with tube amps, I have learned to accept it.. Nobody cracked the equation of "pushed tube goodness" at neighbors-friendly levels

20. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20200315_071903641.jpg plenty of good builders around if you can live without the fender name

Archtop Bill and WalthamMoosical like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.