Fender 5F2 Tweed Princeton: Speaker size and model

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Perregrintuk, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Perregrintuk

Perregrintuk TDPRI Member

Hey folks,

After a lot of reading and studying in this awesome forum, I‘d like to post my 1st thread with my current struggle topic.

I have a nice Fender 5F2 Tweed Princeton chassis which is wired so clean and awesome that I love looking at it...but that is not what it was made for...;-)

I now need a cabinet and a speaker for the Amp. The original 5F2 had a 8“ Jensen P8R and some people say that the magic of that amp is contributing to the large cabinet in combination with the small speaker...

Other people say that if you have that kind of a bigger cabinet it is better to use a bigger speaker. E.g. a 10“ or 12“ and now I don’t know what to do...

I‘m looking for a bedroom / around the house amp, which works well for bluesy stuff and some rock with pedals. At the moment I use my loved Fender 5F1 Champ for that stuff and really like that one. Sometimes it jut could be a little „bigger“ but it is close to perfect. And I love the two inputs for using one for the guitar and the other for a CD player with backing.

So what is your opinion on my mind confusing thoughts?

Stay vintage correct (what I mostly do) and just get a 8“?

Or get a 12“ because it’s bigger?

Or a 10“ as a compromise?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this a real vintage Twed Princeton or a clone? If it is an original, you need a 4ohm speaker no matter what size you choose. If it is a clone, you need to know what the OT wants to see regarding impedance.

3. Perregrintuk

It is a Repro and I wired the OT for 8 Ohms.

4. Wally

I would suggest a P10Q or P12Q for a bigger sound....vintage not new production. The best bet for the money, imho, would be the Eminence Legend ALK1028.

oldfish likes this.
  5. Perregrintuk

And if money does not matter?

6. Wally

That still might be my choice. Theders, Fender 6G16 Vibroverbs and CVR...which is a hot-rodded 6G16, and even outfitted an early '70's Marshall 8 x 10 with them. That was a fantastic cab that sat under a Md. 2203 100 watt MV head. The last I knew of that rig was that it was still going strong after 20 years.

7. Perregrintuk

Ok, thanks for the tip! Sounds good! What would you say are the differences compared to the P10R?

And to the thread...no one supports the „small speaker in big cab“ theory?

8. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I have a Goodsell Champton Plus amp that I had him make in a 5f2 cabinet with a 10” speaker that I’m extremely happy with. Typically he makes the amp in a champ sized cabinet with a 10. It’s basically an upgraded 5f2 amp. Off the top of my head I believe it has an Eminence 1028k speaker.

9. Wally

I just ressurected a '57 5F2A. The owner was in a hurry and could not wait for a recone on the OEM Oxford alnico in the amp. I put an Eminence 820H in there. I did not particularly care for the sound of that hemp cone speaker...very dark. IF you had a vintage P8RS, then I would say to use that. I like a 'bigger' sound than a P8R yields. ymmv.....and both of those speakers will be 4 ohms. it is hard to choose a speaker for another's ears.
    I will say that the ALK will please you.....IF you want a great sounding speaker. IF you want to go with a 8" Alnico, look at the Vintage series from WEber.

10. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

@Wally, since you mentioned the P10Q, I see one available that has been re-coned and whose DCR at the terminals is 5.2 ohms. The DCR seems low for an 8-ohm speaker, and I don't know how to tell the difference between a good re-cone and a bad one. Any advice on those scores?

11. Wally

Prof, I don't know how to judge a recone, either, until I hear it. I have a '51 Deluxe sitting here that came to me with a recone that was done in January, 2017. I have the name of the reconer...unknown to me before now. I will keep that name in my RAM so that he can be avoided. The speaker was of no use at all. We just got it back from Weber last week. I immediately played through it.....finest kind.
    That resistance measurement is a bit low for an 8 ohm....but acceptable, I would think.

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Thank you, sir!

13. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Weber 10A125 in my Champ build. Love it....

thegeezer likes this.
  14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I won't complain about the Weber 10A100 in my 5F2A clone.

thegeezer and King Fan like this.
  15. Perregrintuk

Would the Amp have way more volume with a bigger speaker or better said, would it sound better at lower volumes with the smaller?

Do I loose something by using a 10“?

12“ is off, played it today over my Cornell 18/20 combo used as a cabinet, I want it smaller...

16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It depends on the speakers. 10" is actually a good size for speakers as the response curve typically coincides with the frequencies mostly developed by both a voice and guitar. Bigger speakers are usually used for bass response. But most of the phased array concert setups you will see are 10's, with subs for low freqs

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

What Dacious said -

...and it depends entirely on WHICH 10" speaker. There are 10's with plenty of bass and others with very little unless you hit them with a good amount of power.

All that being said, I owned a '58 5F2 and tried it with several other speaker cabs/sizes - and I could not find anything that beat the sound of the stock 8" in that oversized cabinet! It's not very logical - but it does work.

Why not get a stock-size cabinet but two...even three...different baffles? One for an 8", one for a ten, and one for a twelve. Or even add a 2x8" baffle! It's not a stock amp - why do you have to sick with ONE configuration?

thegeezer likes this.
  18. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

I have my Mojotone Tweed princeton in a cabinet that I made based on the spec of a Tweed Vibrolux— that is to say it’s probably quite close to the proper big box dimensions. I use the Weber Sig 8” Alnico in it and it definitely isn’t lacking in volume, tonal complexity, or “3D-ness”. I use mine as an around the house amp but I know for sure my neighbors (in houses) can probably hear it when she’s turned up.

19. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

I made an oversize cab for a 5f2a and put a cheap 8in celestion 8/15 speaker in for a pall of mine and he love it. later made a speaker cab the same size for him with another celestion speaker in.very surprized at how good they are played together. I have a 10in jenson p10q in my 5f2a sound great. Perregrintuc did not know you can play a cd in 1 imput guitar in another have to give it a try. u learn something every day

20. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Wally, I always like your ideas. Hmm, are you saying the ‘real’ US-made ALK1028, or are you ok with current production too? I’ve been looking for old blueframes — kinda rare.

Re the 5f2a (it is an ‘a’ I assume?) I asked CJ at Weber which of their vintage speakers would be the most 1957. Answer: 10A100 (or 8). I love it. If you want more 1959 I bet 10A125 is great. Cone choices? — ask CJ! Or their Sigs save money -and- get some of that lo-fi bandbox thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.