Fender '59 RI VS. Fender Bassbreaker ?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by SirJackdeFuzz, Jan 9, 2016.

Fender '59 RI 4X10 VS. Fender Bassbreaker 2X12

Poll closed Apr 17, 2016.
  1. '59 RI

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Bassbreaker

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

My recent post of the ''new'' Fender Bassbreaker made me think :idea:

What would you rather have / own ?

IF you can get a mint '59 RI model for the same money as a Bassbreaker, i.e. 1K USD ?

We all know the 4X10 '59 RI :

http://www.guitarcenter.com/product-detail-page?productId=site5111775722

. . . and the new contender :

Fender 2X12 Bassbreaker

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Bassbreaker-45W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

Looking at the specs, and watching some YouTube clips, which one would you spend 1K on, if you can only choose between these two ?

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I haven't voted yet... Because I can't honestly make a decision. I own a super minty 1992 '59 Bassman Reissue. I just picked it up a couple of months ago for way under your 1K number. Realistically, they go for 850 a lot around my neck of the woods, regularly. But, I even beat that price.

There seems to be a lot of functionality in the new Bassbreaker series amps. A lot of great features that could put it out in front of the Bassman.

Since I haven't even seen one in the flesh, it's impossible for me to compare it yet.... Let alone, having not heard it. The tone of my Bassman is classic. I've made a few small changes to make it sound closer to the original (a couple of tube changes, and I'm getting ready to make a circuit component change or two). Every time I plug into it, I just think it sounds like the music I listen to. Most of the guys I aspire to, play Bassman based amps. So, initially, I'll be leaning towards a Bassman for the same money. But, once I hear one, maybe that'll change?

3. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Bassman. I have played both and I think the Bassman is more dynamic and more responsive. It has more touch sensitivity, and you can hear the subtle differences when you change pickups or pick with your fingers instead of a pick. I think you get a good sound from the bassbreaker, but it's just that one sound.

Just my opinion, go with your gut and what you like not what I like, but for me that would be an easy decision.

4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I've compared my Bassman LTD to the 45 watt Bassbreaker. Two different sonic results.

The Bassbreaker with those EL84s is crunchier, grainy but that's a good thing.

The LTD has more deep push and a clarity from the 4x10s. Sweet sustain versus edgy or distorted sustain.

Live, the LTD wins in a big way. For recording or small rock gigs, the Bb might be a better fit. For a loud band, LTD.

5. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Simple to say the new Bassbreaker amps are different and comparing them is almost apples and oranges.

For my money it would have to be the '59 RI. Although I think a Super Reverb would be the better choice for a 4-10 amp in that size and power.

6. 410DeVille

410DeVille Tele-Meister

Bassbreaker

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.