1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

fender 58 pure vintage tele pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by big jimmy, Aug 10, 2019.

1. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

I have a set of the 64 but I thought ( and maybe mistaken) that Fender also came out with a Pure Vintage 58 set at the same time. The 64's are some of my favorite, so would like to try the 58 if there is such a thing.

Southpole likes this.
  2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

this is where things will get at least somewhat obfuscated as to what is a '58 versus '64 leo fender stratocaster pickup ... or literally most any "vintage" leo or cbs fender pickup. some, such as the '50-51 esquire/broadcaster/nocaster/tele we know what the builds were for both the bridge and neck pickups, but as always the process (i.e. - how much coil wire was used) varied enormously, and so huge variances in coil wire turn counts and DCR values.

here's pretty much what leo (and 3 years of cbs) did with regards to his strat pups ... a5 rod mags and 42awg coil wire with varying insulation thickness, and varying copper diameter (mostly due to stretching issues with coil wire tension during the winding process). during the leo years, the coil wire thickness difference of .0003" and turn count high/low difference of 475 turns means very little in terms of tone and output. ditto's for a mean resistance difference of .6k DCR. that's if you believe the chart is gospel, and i'd bet it ain't. there's more to a passive pickup circuit that meets the eye. this chart was s'posedly compiled via seymour duncan, or so i'm lead to believe.

1.png

howardlo likes this.
  3. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Afflicted

I recently got some 64s that will soon be installed in a Tele. But I also wondered about 58s. Pity they are out of production.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with Rob. You're probably going to hear very little difference between them. Here's a video comparing the 3 tele models though. Bear in mind, there are other variables besides just the pickups (like body woods, finishes, neck thickness, etc....however much you think those things affect tone) at play here.

But hey. This is part of the fun, the adventure...the CHASE, right? :D:rolleyes: (I'm as guilty as anyone).

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

They were sold separately. Not sure if they are any more. If not, try to find a set N.O.S. or used. Reverb.com and E-Bay are great resources for finding recently discontinued N.O.S. stuff.

They sound great IMO (I have an AV '58 reissue, and it's among the best sounding Teles I've ever played).

sugarinthegourd likes this.
  6. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

It is my understanding that the '58s are Alnico 3 and the '64s (which I have) are Alnico 5.

7. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

according to research, and having lived and played guitar in the 50s, for the very most part, all original leo fender 1954-1965 strat pickups were powered by a5 rod magnets of varying lengths.

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

From memory, isn't the bridge in a 60s Baja a 58 out of the custom shop?

Bridge of my 60s Baja is my fave of all. Made me try seek out an av58 - never got one

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Rob... the OP is inquiring specifically about Tele pickups.

Your comments here seem to focus on Strat pickups.

Would your comments about Strat pickups also apply equally to Tele pickups of the day?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  10. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

58s are also Alnico 5.

11. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I have a virgin ‘58 RI bridge pickup that is going in an up coming build. I can’t decide if it will be an Esquire, or not. I may pair it up with this old MIJ gold foil I’ve got in my box.
    You tube demos of the ‘58s were sadly lacking when they were available, and that has not changed.

12. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I have a set of the Vintage '64's in one of my Tele, they sound good. But my favorites are the Original Vintage and the Pure Vintage I have in two others. Some say the '58's have a bit more 'grit'. I just know they sound different than the other two Fender sets I have.

The 58's have A5 magnets, the other two have A3 magnets. According to Fender they were all made with the same period correct materials and build.

13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

14. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

One of you guys ought to buy those, and report back.

Check out the official Fender description in the ad. Pure non-specific, subjective, and non-quantifiable details, but full of nebulous marketing gibberish.

I’m certain this is intentional, as it allows Fender to change anything they want, often just the name.

This change happened roughly when they discontinued the Fender Frontline magazine/catalog. The guitar shops had stacks by the door for the taking. (I had years and years worth ~ why did I pitch them???)
    Not only did they feature EVERY product available, including amps and Squier, but page after page of custom shop stuff.
    In the parts section, they specced out all of their pickups. Mag type, wire type, resistance, henries, graphs of eq response, the works.

With the discontinuation of Frontline, all of those details are now completely and totally secreted away, impossible to find.

Now, all we have is reports from users.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.