Fender 57 Tweed Twin just lost volume

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by MASONish, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Wiley

Wiley TDPRI Member

As a follow up, I started with replacing what appeared to be a burned out fuse in the F2 slot. Bought a quality pack of T12a/250's (the "T" which appears no where on the fuse stands for "time delay", I learned. "Slow blow" is what shows on the label). Replaced the fuse and noticed like MASONish that it didn't seat properly on one end. I tightened the clip and the fuse popped right in. Plugged it in and let there be light. Thanks to all for their input.

2. Wiley

Wiley TDPRI Member

As a follow up, I started with replacing what appeared to be a burned out fuse in the F2 slot. Bought a quality pack of T12a/250's (the "T" which appears no where on the fuse stands for "time delay", I learned. "Slow blow" is what shows on the label). Replaced the fuse and noticed like MASONish that it didn't seat properly on one end. I tightened the clip and the fuse popped right in. Plugged it in and let there be light. Thanks to all for their input.

3. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

Wiley that's great! Time will tell I suppose. The thing that worried me was behind the F-2 fuse was a spot that had apparently gotten very hot and melted behind the fuse. After the inline fuse holder was installed the fuse went out again. I replaced the fuse and contacted my tech. Said it was probably a "glitch" with that fuse. I replaced it with the same T12A/250v Bussman fuse and haven't had any more problems. Time will tell I suppose.

Wiley do report back if you have any further problems.

4. Wiley

Wiley TDPRI Member

I will. It's good to make some noise again.

5. Wiley

Wiley TDPRI Member

I did replace the fuse twice now which indicated that it was something more and it was. I brought it to the tech I go to and the problem was one bad rectifier tube that couldn't handle to power surge when the standby switch was flipped. Tossed it and replaced the other with an EH and went with one Rectifier tube. Works fine.

6. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

Very good! Glad you got to the bottom of it. I have yet to have any further problems. Keep an extra set of good rectifier tubes handy!

7. Wiley

Wiley TDPRI Member

CBG, you were absolutely correct. After repeated fuse failures and replacements I took the amp to a tech that I go to and he agreed entirely with you. I did not make the standby mod but replaced a bad rectifier tube with an EH and went with just one RT. Seems to work fine for now (I'm not using the standby switch, to avoid a mod, but giving the amp a few minutes to warm up). Great learning experience, thx.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.