1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender 57 RI Champ seems too quiet

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by edlouis, Sep 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. edlouis

edlouis TDPRI Member

I tried to record some of the Feedback and weird breakup but my phone captures the pure sound and makes the amp sound pretty clear! Guess that's why the call it a great recording amp lol.

Dan_Pomykalski likes this.
  2. Karaokesquirrel

Karaokesquirrel TDPRI Member

• I have a 57 Custom Champ and I'm pretty sure yours isn't working right
    • The amp is defective out of the box, get it replaced. The tubes are probably the source of the failure, but why buy $40+ new tubes for a new amp?
    • BTW: A new 57 Custom Champ Comes with a 12AY7, Not a 12AX7A

3. Arfage

Arfage TDPRI Member

Send it back.

haggardfan1 and Dan_Pomykalski like this.
  4. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It is the preamp tube. I have had JJs and EH preamp tubes fail in this manor. Volume drops off, sounds like crap, rattle and microphonics. These were units with less than 5 hours on them. And no nothing was wrong with my Amps. Russian preamp tubes are hit or miss with regards to quality and consistency.

5. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member

My $0.02... Swap the tubes and if it resolves the issue, have SW send you a fresh set of tubes. This will be less expensive for SW to send you the tubes compared to shipping your new amp twice. I personally hate shipping amps as they always get beaten up from the handling.

6. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

I agree with this except the discount for your trouble. Them having a fantastic return policy is a good thing, not something to get false offended and entitled about. Also, I would try a different preamp tube first, based on your video. It's very easy to try and is also very often the culprit in issues like this, especially after shipping. If you don't have one, just buy one, you will need a spare anyway and it's not something I would bother Sweetwater about. But I agree with not messing with it other than that, especially if you hope to return it with no hassle and you should not have to anyway. Good luck!!

Dan_Pomykalski and KelvinS1965 like this.
  7. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

You spent $1000 on this amp. It should be hassle-free. It is Sweetwater’s and Fender’s problem. Don’t make it yours. Get Sweetwater to send you a new amp, and let them worry about recouping their losses with Fender.

8. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Push the tubes into the sockets tight to make sure nothing came loose in shipping. Doesn't get better? Return it.

Ummm,,, yeah... I think you did that. Yeah, I remember you doing that. The Tech said "It's brand new, you don't need to open it up. Time to send it back". I heard him say that.

Drew617 likes this.
  9. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Do you not have a Fender authorized tech in your area that covers warranty repairs?

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's a brand new amp. Don't monkey with a single thing. Not your problem. Send it back, and make them monkey with it if they have to.

haggardfan1, JuneauMike and Drew617 like this.
  11. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

I’d also rather buy a new preamp tube than be without my new amp for however many days. If that doesn’t solve the problem, then send it back.

Askwhy likes this.
  12. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

You work hard for your money, so make sure you are happy with what you get. I have no qualms sending it back. Do some research on some boutique amps.

13. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

Whatever it takes get it fixed because that Champ IS broken. Certainly you have to consider what will cost more shipping or local repair (assuming you have a local tech you trust) but here's your reference POV. A stock Champ won't keep up with a determined drummer in a gig or a jam session (unless mic'd or DI'd) but on it's own, solo, it will get fairly loud while still relatively clean. Above "5" or so with guitar volume up it will get pretty distorted but not much louder but still be WAY louder than an actual acoustic guitar, orders of magnitude louder than strumming a solid body with no amp. Get it fixed.

14. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I know that it's tough to wait on all the important personnel to line up, but, you should talk to Sweetwater first. Your amp has a problem, it's new, it's their problem. They will take care of it, I am certain.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yep to all. That Champ should be your favorite amp within about an hour of playing through it. It's not right, get another one. Its an amazing amp.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  16. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

+1 on preamp tube

17. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I hope you got it resolved , it's almost a week since you started this thread . I would have called Sweetwater and see how they want to proceed . Also , did you try a different guitar through the amp ? Or cord ?

18. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

From the OP a while back, just to reduce the "call Sweetwater" posts.

19. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm, did he mean “talk to a tech at Sweetwater” or find your own tech? If it’s the latter, that would not sit right with me.

20. jumpbluesdude

jumpbluesdude TDPRI Member

This is really easy. I have been working on amps since 1989. I can tell you EXACTLY what you need to do. I saw your video of the noise that amp is making.

1. Did you pay close to a $G for an amp? Yes
    2. Did you get the amp you expected after trolling YouTube for the perfect sound and deciding the 57 RI Champ was it? No.
    3. Can you return or exchange it at your discretion? Yes
    4. Return or exchange it. Don’t take shi+ from them. If they give you a hard time, call your credit card company and file a grievance against them and you will get your money back.
    5. One of the options from step 4. will lead to this::D:D:D
    6. Yes it’s a PITA dealing with the situation, but how long did it take to put together $1000? It’s worth the investment of time to protect your investment in the amp.

Not important in the least: I had a bunch of spud amps by Fender, Gibson, Supro, Valco, Kalamazoo, and Magnatone. I sold EVERY ONE because 8 inch (and 6x9)speakers don’t produce enough bottom and WAY too much mid range. JMO. Try a 5f10 clone. Plenty of headroom to 7, drives good from 8 to 12, doesn’t over compress like a 5E3, and keeps up with a drummer.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.