Fender 57 RI Champ seems too quiet

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by edlouis, Sep 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. edlouis

edlouis TDPRI Member

Yeah I may try that, I tried some JJ's in my Bugera before and man they were just harsh sounding, I'm thinking that may be a culprit

2. edlouis

edlouis TDPRI Member

I did try to reseat the tubes as they looked a little crooked, but it didn't make a difference. Don't get me wrong I've heard some great tone out of this amp, but its a $1000 so if I'm keeping it I just want it to be right and not have very noticeable quirks.

3. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Put a video.
    I think is a capacitor issue thats sound bad, but is a easy repair.

4. edlouis

edlouis TDPRI Member

Thank you for that info, unfortunately I live in El Paso TX so there aren't any music stores that sell tubes, halfway up I did get more volume after I raised my pickup heights, they're very low output, I'm gonna call sweetwater back and talk to a tech, maybe play a little for them of what I hear. I want to like the Champ, I've heard some really nice tone out of mine, just seems to have some quirks to me, I couldn't play it in person so I'm not sure if its normal or somethings up. My burp and gargle may be someones tone heaven, haha.

5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

And if all else fails:
    coin-duff-front.png

Also: in some circles, a "spud" amp is a nickname for a one-tuber.

VintageSG likes this.
  6. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

Everyone’s suggestions are very helpful, but I feel like you shouldn’t have to go through all of this trouble, especially with a new amp. I’d call Sweetwater, tell then you don’t believe the amp is functioning properly, and get a replacement sent to you.

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Yeah brah,
    You shouldn’t have to trouble shoot new gear.
    Back it goes!

If the replacement sucks, it goes back too.
    Hold out for what you want.

JuneauMike likes this.
  8. Drew617

Drew617 TDPRI Member

I wouldn't spend time or effort overthinking, or overtinkering with something that you need to return for replacement. Solutions are availalble, don't talk yourself out of them. El Paso has a GC, and they'll have tubes. But really, seems clear that something's not right with the amp. Make Sweetwater deal with it, they'll be happy to.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

This is great advice, AS A LAST OPTION!

10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

GUys if you order an amp and it is tubes, have half a common sense and relise your reality. Tubes are awesome. They require knowlege and maintenance. No big deal. But to hear people say return it? Return it? No one should have bought it if they aren't going to learn about dealing with tubes. And it does sound like a tube issue, at least that is the first place to start. OP, having working replacements to test and replace would have eleiminated this issue,(if it is the issue). After this , you call who you bought it from and ask how THEY want to handle it BUt don't be a WIMP RICHARD and leave returning as your only option. The remedy is probably simple.

11. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

This is the last option you should take.

12. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I completely disagree with those who suggest doing your own maintanance on a new amp. That is terrible advice. Champs are no-brainer amps, and plenty loud, so if it sounds really quiet and muffled, and the breakup tone is ugly, then there is no reason on earth for you to try to reconfigure it to make it sound better. Did you buy it so you could learn amp maintenance, and rebuild a crap unit? Absurd. I do most of my own amp maintenance, retubing, etc., but any good amp tech will tell you that you do that to improve a good amp, not to revive a crap one. These forums are full of complainly posts from people who hang on to defective purchases, and Craigslist is full of carappy guitars and equipment that unskilled users decided to "improve." REturn it to Sweetwater, get a workikng one, and get a discount for you trouble.

gaddis, Heimdall, 93SuperVee and 4 others like this.
  13. Drew617

Drew617 TDPRI Member

Yeah, agree completely, and I'm sitting among a bunch of tube amps that I built myself. The '57 Champ is not an inexpensive amplifier for what it is - the buyer is essentially paying Fender to get everything just exactly perfect and/or original. Seems that's not what the buyer got this time, but if this was a legitimate new purchase, he can still insist and get what he was supposed to very easily.

Really lousy advice to suggest that the answer is amateur troubleshooting and/or repair, especially by someone unprepared to do that work. That might be rewarding or a good experience, but it'll preclude getting the correct remedy in this case, and probably devalue what the buyer was supposed to have. Do that on a Chinese VHT or something.

gaddis and Heimdall like this.
  14. edlouis

edlouis TDPRI Member

Wow checked before and my local GC didn't have any last time I looked, really not looking though for a bill to fix something that was just bought.

Drew617 likes this.
  15. edlouis

edlouis TDPRI Member

I get what your saying but I shouldn't already have to pay for new tubes if one of the ones they sent was faulty. I replaced I tube I broke by accident in my Bugera when I was trying to sort out some tube rattle and changed those out. I won't break into the wiring though as I have no experience in electrical stuff and after reading some amp spots have enough voltage to kill you. Believe me I'm not the type to return it without exhausting all options. I've tried different outlets, reseating the tubes, two guitars running through, just don't wanna spend on tubes unless I know the core function of the amp is fine.

16. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

THey must have some procedure to just send another tube, free of charge.

17. Drew617

Drew617 TDPRI Member

Agree, you shouldn't - just want to be clear that I think you shouldn't talk yourself out of solutions or possibilities here either. Seems like there's a lot of back and forth going on here that isn't really relevant to the obvious, uncomplicated solution. You paid for a new amp that doesn't work right. Get them to send you one that does. Unless the original purchase was not as straightforward as it seems, there shouldn't be any barriers to getting this done.

gaddis and oldfish like this.
  18. Jesse414

Jesse414 TDPRI Member

I have a vox ac4 and the same thing just happened to mine barely any sound till I get it to about 6 on the volume. When I first bought it 2 or 3 was really loud. I think its got a bad tube I'm gonna pull the back off and try new tubes.

19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@edlouis
    First, welcome to the forum!
    Next, try asking SweetWater to send you a full compliment of three new tubes that they have physically tested! If they don't fix it, send them back the amp AND the tubes!
    Just A Thought?
    Gene

20. edlouis

edlouis TDPRI Member

Now I really suspect a tube, a new squeal/rattle type sound showed up Volume is on 8. Tried calling sweetwater but their repair dept is closed and my salesman is off til monday.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.