Fender 57 custom champ. Thoughts? Stew Mac kit?

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve found that with either the 5F1 or 5F2a a bigger cabinet and speaker make ALL the difference. Get the amp kit and build or buy an oversize cab. This is a 5F1 chassis in a cab that currently houses a pair of vintage Jensen 6x9s, but can easily accommodate a 12” speaker. View attachment 979239
^Very true about spkrs. Have a tweed champ clone with an old alnico Jensen 6x9. Also to OP if you build or an easy diy is an external spkr shorting jack for larger skprs and cabs.
DSCF9332.JPG

DSCF9326.JPG

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
I’m sold on building a larger cab. Think it best for a ham fisted noob like myself.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
^Very true about spkrs. Have a tweed champ clone with an old alnico Jensen 6x9. Also to OP if you build or an easy diy is an external spkr shorting jack for larger skprs and cabs.
View attachment 989814
I'd bet up to $0.37 USD that's a muchxs build. His fingerprints are the 6 x 9 and IIRC what he calls an "afterburner:" the shorting jack that looks like the exhaust of an old fighter jet.

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
I'd bet up to $0.37 USD that's a muchxs build. His fingerprints are the 6 x 9 and IIRC what he calls an "afterburner:" the shorting jack that looks like the exhaust of an old fighter jet.
Sir you are a winner! I didn't know about the "afterburner." Stumbled across it on local CL that only mentioned "champ with 6x9." Immediately, emailed inquired if it was a Muchxs build. 45 minutes later, meeting on the side of a dark and lonely road...score! Just based on Eric's reputation. The guy said he was more of a jazz player and liked his little Vox better (pre Julian Lage). I'm absolutely thrilled; it is a gas killer for a 1/3 of $ the Fender with old glass to boot.
DSCF9333.JPG

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Sir you are a winner! I didn't know about the "afterburner." Stumbled across it on local CL that only mentioned "champ with 6x9." Immediately, emailed inquired if it was a Muchxs build. 45 minutes later, meeting on the side of a dark and lonely road...score! Just based on Eric's reputation. The guy said he was more of a jazz player and liked his little Vox better (pre Julian Lage). I'm absolutely thrilled; it is a gas killer for a 1/3 of $ the Fender with old glass to boot.
View attachment 989932

Good score. He favored old Raytheons for these.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I owned the Ceriatone version of the Champ for several years as my only amp / only decent amp. It has a "tweed" switch which deactivates the tone stack and reverts it from a Blackface style to Tweed style. Honestly - I don't recommend it. It does sound very good at a certain volume, which is too loud for most home / apartment uses (unless you are alone in a house with no shared walls) but too quiet for using in a band. It is fantastic for recording purposes thoughI had a 10" and later a 12" speaker on mine. If you have to keep it to a reasonable volume, it's not going to sound any better than a modern practice amp like a Yamaha THR10. And it will be more expensive and have less variety of sounds, not to mention needing periodic maintenance and tubes are not cheap these days.

All that said, if you really want to own and try out a tube amp, you should do it, you're not going to be satisfied until you do.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Huge rabbit hole.

I kinda like the sound of the Swarts and they're hand wired.

Don't forget to look at the Princeton Reverb. The PRRI has plenty headroom and gets really loud. It fills my needs as the next step from the VC.

It's a fun journey....
I'll second a Swart 6v6SE. It's a 5 water with a volume and tone control. I have one and love it!

I also have the 57 Tweed Champ mentioned in the OP. I love it and don't find it boxy at all. The Special Design from Weber is a great match for this amp.

It's also the stock speaker in the Swart.

Here's a good video comparing the 2.