Fender 57 Champ / Fender 64 Princeton Reverb

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
You have to turn down the treble and bass to get more mids from a PR. IMO, the settings in Maguchi's photo look like a good starting place. If you're a home player and can't turn up the volume, maybe a Vibro Champ Reverb would be a better fit. I'm not crazy about attenuators.

wrathfuldeity

Friend of Leo's
A couple of things that have not been mentioned:

One thing is that what your ears hear, is a relative perception to the low, med and high frequencies. So some of eq'ing is not to push, but to lower the chosen frequency. For example, scooping the mids will bring out the high and lows. Or as noted above "turn down the treble and bass to get more mids." A good eq pedal will be your friend.

A big cab will change/expand the spectum of frequencies available, a big open cab will let the tone breathe and will have the space to open up the reverb/delay fx. Instead of pushing it out, it will have space to bloom.

Running your amp open but with the git volume barely cracked and tone/pu switch to taste. Running your amp low volume on the dial, is like trying to get your tone in a small range. Open the amp volume and you open the range to work your tone on the git/amp.

Otoh if you are wanting some cranked grind with tube and spkr distortion magic but at lower volume. Use a smaller inefficient spkr and a pedal. Of course you can also do this with for clean tones...where you use a tone sweetener type pedal like a klon, spark booster. Or push the front end of your chain with something like a Seymour Duncan P/U booster...works great with low wind single coils...to get some sparkle at low volume cleans or to pop the grind.

A small stable of spkrs works and a Weber Z-Matcher, e.g., 4", 6", 10", 6x9", 10" and 12". The oversized 1x12 can handle and allow the lows to bloom with out the boom and with out mush and the space allows things to bloom.

Love running oddball tweed champ and princeton with this little thang...but if grind is it...then an old 4" alnico intercom spkr can get the nasty without blowing yourself out.

detuned.jpg

Last edited:

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
You have to turn down the treble and bass to get more mids from a PR. IMO, the settings in Maguchi's photo look like a good starting place. If you're a home player and can't turn up the volume, maybe a Vibro Champ Reverb would be a better fit. I'm not crazy about attenuators.
Thanks, yes, a Vibro Champ Reverb would be good but I prefer spring reverb so that’s a consideration- probably my SurfyBear or Topanga are a better fit with my tweed champ

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister

One thing is that what your ears hear, is a relative perception to the low, med and high frequencies. So some of eq'ing is not to push, but to lower the chosen frequency. For example, scooping the mids will bring out the high and lows. Or as noted above "turn down the treble and bass to get more mids." A good eq pedal will be your friend.

A big cab will change/expand the spectum of frequencies available, a big open cab will let the tone breathe and will have the space to open up the reverb/delay fx. Instead of pushing it out, it will have space to bloom.

Running your amp open but with the git volume barely cracked and tone/pu switch to taste. Running your amp low volume on the dial, is like trying to get your tone in a small range. Open the amp volume and you open the range to work your tone on the git/amp.

Otoh if you are wanting some cranked grind with tube and spkr distortion magic but at lower volume. Use a smaller inefficient spkr and a pedal. Of course you can also do this with for clean tones...where you use a tone sweetener type pedal like a klon, spark booster. Or push the front end of your chain with something like a Seymour Duncan P/U booster...works great with low wind single coils...to get some sparkle at low volume cleans or to pop the grind.

A small stable of spkrs works and a Weber Z-Matcher, e.g., 4", 6", 10", 6x9", 10" and 12". The oversized 1x12 can handle and allow the lows to bloom with out the boom and with out mush and the space allows things to bloom.

Love running oddball tweed champ and princeton with this little thang...but if grind is it...then an old 4" alnico intercom spkr can get the nasty without blowing yourself out.

View attachment 1031334
Thank you, I absolutely love the 4” intercom speaker- it’s great when things are put to a very different purpose to originally intended (see also Shure 520D)

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
It's the speaker. Look out for an Eminence 10 alnico, 1028 if I remember. That or a Fender 10" blue frame. The Jensen holds back the 64.
This! Speaker makes a HUGE difference in the “3D-ness” of a PR (or any amp really).

I actually like the Jensen Alnico in the handwired version, but they take a LONG time, and plenty of volume, to break in. I actually prefer low sensitivity ceramic magnet speakers in PR’s, like the Oxford that was stock in my ‘75.

tomkatf

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter

View attachment 1031334
Love the cabinet!! Did you build???

wrathfuldeity

Friend of Leo's
Love the cabinet!! Did you build???
Thanks, a long winter's project... post #3 and 15 below

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
I'm a huge Alnico fan, but when I had a Princeton Reverb (reissue) I thought the Eminence GA10-SC64 10" Signature Guitar Speaker was a perfect fit.
It really is a "journey" ;)
Some days, with some amps, it might be this or that...
Only today I was jamming with my ´57 Deluxe and played it through the stock Jensen P12Q, a ´65 Jensen C12Q and a current Jensen P10RF. I never was especially fond of the P12Q, but guess what? It sounded best through the stock speaker 👍
Similar thing... in my sf Princeton Reverb I´ve tried LOADS of different speakers.
For home/studio-use, I would use the stock Oxford, but for playing out/with a band I LOVE the (cheap) Jensen C10Q-reissue. And I´ve tried all the recommended Webers, too ;)

cheers - 68.

derekirving

TDPRI Member
@68goldtop I love the P12Q (jensen reissue/current) in tweed amps. Originally i had a reissue Princetone Reverb and loved the stock speaker (reissue) C10Q, my only hold back was it kind of fell apart when volume was 5-6, this was fixed with the GA10-SC64. I currently use weber 12A125A and have a love hate relationship with it, i'm not sure it's better then a P12Q but gigging the weber just has a bit more togetherness (in a Victoria Ivy League w/12")

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
@68goldtop I love the P12Q (jensen reissue/current) in tweed amps. Originally i had a reissue Princetone Reverb and loved the stock speaker (reissue) C10Q, my only hold back was it kind of fell apart when volume was 5-6, this was fixed with the GA10-SC64...
The stock-speaker in the PR is a Jensen C10R (not a "Q") - and yes, it "falls apart" real easy ;-)
I like the "step-up" to the C10Q!
I used to use the PR (w/C10Q) as my main-amp in our ROCK-band for a while - before upgrading to a Deluxe 👍

Check it out if you like:

I´m sure the G.A. sounds nice, as well!

cheers - 68.