1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender 57 Champ Custom vs LovePedal Champ pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sotob, Dec 3, 2020.

1. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

Just some rambling...

A few days ago I was able to get a new Fender 57 Champ Custom amp. The amp is loud for just being 5 watts. The breakup starts happening around 7. The clean sound nice just like a bunch of other Fender amps do.

I swapped in a 12xa7 because I read some folks say that it would break it up much earlier. I heard no difference, so I put the original tube back in.

I turned the amp to 12 and rolled back the volume on the guitar to see if I could control the loudness and still get that crunch sound. Did not help at all and sounded soft/wimpy and no crunch.

I decided to compare the Champ amp to the Lovepedal Champ (one knob) since it is based on the Champ and in the end to my ears they sounded very close.

Obsessed likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Get a Swart Night light JR for that 57. Versatility and happiness will follow.

• Stephen S.
      Pretty Good not perfect

Verified Purchase

Did a " permanent" install inside a 65 Reissue Princeton-the Sweetwater Special edition with the Can Rex 12" and Tweed cover. Works nice, the pot is a little fat near the top end with most of the attenuation in a limited range. All in all very pleased

2 people found this helpful

• Steve S.
      Exceeded my expectations!

Verified Purchase
      Installed this on a 5E3 clone with 12-14w output that I only use single coils (primarily P90s) with. I had been using a Weber Micromass that I wasn't happy with. I installed this little guy, and it worked great with minimal tweaking. My tweed clone is now sounding better than ever. Highly recommended!

1 person found this helpful

• Joe D.
      Excellent Attenuator

Verified Purchase
      I use a strat into a 57 champ in a 12x12 man cave which is in my new construction home. I wanted to get cranked tones without my wife complaining when she’s home (5 watts cranked to 12 can be loud). This lil blue wonder fits the bill without coloring my tone. I’m in the process of installing it in …

• Chris S.
      Great attentuator

Verified Purchase
      Installed the Night Light Jnr in my (modern) Supro 1606 and am very impressed. I was looking for something that could be integrated with the amp for portability and this fitted the bill. I've used a Weber MiniMass as an external unit, and it seems to me that the Night Light Jnr has much less tone …

• Jeffrey O.
      Hidden gem for tube amps

Great piece of gear to make the most of a nice tube amp. Played through a Victoria 518 and a Frenzel Sweet Little 15, the natural gain is much better than most overdrive pedals and this will get you there at low volumes
      • Dayton A.
        Long Live Attenuation

Verified Purchase

This does exactly what I want it to. I have it in my 68 Custom Princeton Reverb, and I can get the sweet edge of breakup tone at any volume. I play in theaters, and this allows me to adjust down to any volume we need. If want a screaming guitar lick under the dialogue, all I need to do is turn down …

• Stephen M.
        Sounds great!

Verified Purchase
        On bypass......Honestly, even at just 5 watts the STR is pushing 115 db when the gain gets good. Without attenuation I'd rarely be able to drive it to potential. The night light keeps the volume usable, without stifling tone to terribly. It mounted easily with the screws provided, and my Swart still has swagger, good deal.

• Patrick G.
        The least effevtive attenuator I own.

Verified Purchase
        With a 15 watt amp even at the lowest setting it does not breakup like other attaenuators I own. It does attenuate but not what I expected. I will probaly be reselling it.

• Kc W.

Verified Purchase
        Great seller thx

• Chris P.
        Killer.

Verified Purchase
        awesome attenuator! using it with 0.5 watt ZVEX Nano Head Amp so I can dime the amp and the tone is sublime now that I can get to the sweet spot at manageable volume!

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I swapped in a 12xa7 because I read some folks say that it would break it up much earlier. I heard no difference, so I put the original tube back in.
    What was swapped for what? Sovtek?

4. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered one the other night.

5. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

From a 12AY7 to 12xa7.

6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I like the idea of getting the attenuator. I use them with a couple of my amps. That would be the best choice. I have the Clapton vibro champ, and also find that the J Rockett Archer pedal is great for getting some more overdrive from the tweed champ.

7. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

BTW, don't turn on this amp and expect all of its glory. !5 minutes after turning it on, it will be behaving more happily for you. All amps are like this, tubewise, but tweed seem to benefit more.

Jakeboy and emisilly like this.
  8. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Works great on my Clapton Vibro also, ie Swart night light JR. Can't wait to hear Sotob's experience.

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Swart night light JR< Just saw one in the Emporium.

10. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

Swart Night light JR arrived a few days ago and so I've had some quality time with it and has been great. Awesome to get some great overdrive tones at night.

teleman1, El Tele Lobo and Cali Dude like this.
  11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I built a 5 dollar L-pad into a Champ. Attenuators are over priced.

12. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Original tweed champs used the 12ax7 tube from the factory

13. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Glad your happy with it. Cool playing with the lights out too, huh?

14. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Lovepedal champ is not based on a champ.

It's a rip off of an electra distorsion.

A transistor, 2 diodes for asymetrical clipping and the usual minimum stuff.

You really really can't go wrong with this circuit.

It's simple, yet amazing, and compete with more elaborate circuits based on jfet.

(I don't Want to bash you or seems rude, juste damn I got a problem with lovepedal attitude, it's the les lius who gave me conviction to do diy tho).

15. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Use a les paul !

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  16. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Swapping a 12ay7 for a 12ax7 does not change the volume at which the amp will break up. It only changes the range of the volume pot on the amp.
    It will break up sooner on the volume pot, but then the overall loudness of the amp will be the same than the former break-up point with the ay7.

I had a Fender custom champ too. Mine came stock with a 12ax7. It was really a good sounding amp, but it was indeed far too loud to have it break up at home with neighbors around.

17. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

A cool added feature! Did you mount yours inside?

18. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, when I got two Night lights. I have 4 amps it will work on so, they were loose.

19. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Why not just use a "clean" boost pedal (Timmy, Klone, etc.) to ramp up your input guitar signal. That will drive the tubes and get you that breakup earlier. That's what I do (and what drive pedals are for, right?). They work GREAT with my 5F1 and 5e3.

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.