Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster differences in the visibility of grain and lacquer

nedray

Tele-Meister
To add some clarification to my previous epistle on this, agree that's there were multiple small revisions to the AVRI line in the late '90s-early '00s, but they were mainly alterations to the pumpkincaster finish, which Fender finally got right, at least to my eye, in the mid-'00s (in or about 2005--don't claim any particular accuracy on the exact year). If I recall, that's also about the time they stopped the vintage wiring and shipped the AVRIs with standard modern wiring. I think COAs stuck around a few more years. As I said, the period from 2005 or thereabouts until they changed to AV in 2012 seems to be the "golden age," if you will, for this line of guitars. My 2007 also is a great instrument, which I think many were during this period. IMHO, the AV period were pretty good guitars, but I saw a lot more QC issues with all the models of Tele and Strat during that time. They did have an attractive finish and pickups seemed OK if you could find one without gouges and misfit parts.

And I cited a 7.24" FB radius. Clumsy fingers--I obviously meant 7.25". Either way it's quite a bit rounder than the 9.5" radius you see everywhere now.

Peace. Long live the AVRI 52 Tele.

mystichands

Tele-Meister
Thank you all, this is all very useful information. So it seems Fender changed the finish in 2012 into more opaque and thinner one and keeped it that way until the end of the production (the Original seems the same finish-wise).

Actually, I think I prefer the later variant, I like to see the ash grain but the later guitars with discrete grain under the opaque finish are somehow more apealing to me and, as I can remember, the one I tried was like that. Light, resonant, beautiful...I think I'll wait a little bit and try to find one of those.
There is a lot of variation in the finishes of these guitars. I have a 2015 Squier classic vibe Tele. The finish looks exactly like the finish in your first photo. It’s pine, and has a lot of grain, but also a thick poly coating. I don’t like the poly finish but it looks good.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
To add some clarification to my previous epistle on this, agree that's there were multiple small revisions to the AVRI line in the late '90s-early '00s, but they were mainly alterations to the pumpkincaster finish, which Fender finally got right, at least to my eye, in the mid-'00s (in or about 2005--don't claim any particular accuracy on the exact year). If I recall, that's also about the time they stopped the vintage wiring and shipped the AVRIs with standard modern wiring. I think COAs stuck around a few more years. As I said, the period from 2005 or thereabouts until they changed to AV in 2012 seems to be the "golden age," if you will, for this line of guitars. My 2007 also is a great instrument, which I think many were during this period. IMHO, the AV period were pretty good guitars, but I saw a lot more QC issues with all the models of Tele and Strat during that time. They did have an attractive finish and pickups seemed OK if you could find one without gouges and misfit parts.

And I cited a 7.24" FB radius. Clumsy fingers--I obviously meant 7.25". Either way it's quite a bit rounder than the 9.5" radius you see everywhere now.

Peace. Long live the AVRI 52 Tele.
I had a 2008 52AVRI. Bought it used around 2013 but it was essentially never too he'd, never played, just kept in the case and never touched. Came with all the case candy, COA, etc. Mine had the vintage wiring (bass circuit in the neck) and had the capacitor and wiring diagram in the case to cover it to modern wiring. Mine was also what is considered a "Pumpkincaster" finish. Was a fantastic guitar and my ONLY complaint about it was the finish. Despite Fender saying it was nitro, it was very thick, and if it was bumped or hit hard a piece or chunk would chip off and didn't wear anything like you'd expect nitro to wear. Neck shape and profile was identical to a Classic 50's neck, which you can still buy as an aftermarket neck from Fender.