Fender 50/51 Telecaster Pickups Handwound by Josefina Campos'

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tenderfoot, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I have been trying to find end user reviews but only one can be found where it was just a simple statement of good sounding with twang. Only other reviews is the one by Fender on YouTube and the promo wording provided by Fender on all the retailer websites that are selling the pickups. Nothing found on TDPRI. (I did find a lot of info on the Josefina Fat 50 strat pickups which for the most part were favorable).

It seems the 50/51 pickups are not selling that well. Which is understandable for pickups costing $499.99 before tax. However, with cost not being a factor in the buying decision. I would like to learn a little more about them before making a final decision to buy or not to buy.

If anyone can point me to an end user review or an article which is not just a clone of the Fender promo wording I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Tenderfoot

Greggorios likes this.
  2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Given the specs on the Fender site. Any number of winders like Cavalier, Duff, Mare, Fralin or Bootstrap could give you a comparable or better product for $200-$300 less.

Fender has just elevated Josefina to the legend status of Abby. Don't buy into the hype.

Handwound, A3/A5 magnets and enamel 43AWG wire. Not hard specs to duplicate for a good winder.

At the price they're asking, there might not be too many reviews out there.

If you do buy them, you might be the first.

AxemanVR, nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
  3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Thanks Spudcaster, understand about Abby and the Josefina hype. I did custom order a set of Broadcaster pickups from the Pickup Wizard who build the pickups using the 50/51 specs published by Fender. They sounded OK but the bridge was a bit to thin for my ears and I sold them. I have read that the Cavalier set based on early Broadcaster is available and that might be something to try out. Another is Tone Specific Twang set which is also higher in cost at $350 with a few months backorder wait time. Mare (I have a Bakersfield Set of his pickups) is also a long wait time.

The thing with the Josefina pickups is that if she (Josefina) is as good as Abby was, I'm thinking there will be a noticeable one of a kind sound that sets them apart from the rest of the field. Why do I think this? Well I have a couple of friends who have Abby pickups in their tele's and the sound is the closest to what's in my head when put up against any other pickups.

Appreciate your input.

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  4. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

I have several Strats AND Tele's with AY and JC pu'ps (signature / dated and signed / dated). My absolute favorites are Josephina C Hand wounds on the BOTH TYPE OF GUITARS. In fact I have just bought another JC handwound Strat set ( FAT '50s) waiting get installed in a CS Strat which I still have to buy ... :)
    The JC's sound different, they are very EVEN in volume, ballsy and just high fidelity if that is the right description. I hear the difference when I compare them with the OEM hand wound versions... I know people are rolling their eyes right now... but maybe I have just the right amount / set of frequencies missing in my hearing after " all these years" in front of guitar amps.... dunno ..

https://reverb.com/item/28280666-fe...mited-edition-josefina-campos-2019-50-s-model

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  5. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

The toanz are in the pen...

6. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

OK, I gave up on the prospect of getting the Fender Custom Shop 50/51 pickups for now. Might change my mind tomorrow or next year but for now I am going to try a set of pickups that are more reasonably priced. Interestingly while looking for less costly pickups, I chanced upon a good deal, at least cost wise. There was a set of new blackguard early/mid 50's tele pickups listed for $215 with a Black Friday discount down to $182. I almost selected the "Add to Cart" but decided to first do a little Google research about the pickups. Glad that I did:) I found the winder on FB and after a couple of messages got the pickups for $125 shipped!

They will be arriving later in the week or early next week depending on USPS holiday work load. After I have installed them and spent some time with them i will post my review on a (new) NPD Thread here on TDPRI.

Thanks to everyone who posted this thread.

Tenderfoot

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

$499.99 :D
    \ SnakeOil.jpg

tho618 and Tenderfoot like this.
  8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Ever since I found a set of amazing sounding Squier Classic Vibe Alnico 3 50s Strat pickups for my "Blackie" Partscaster for $65, I'm finding it extreme difficult to believe that any current pickup set is worth $500...

IMG_1101 dark.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG

9. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Until you try that is ....... but do yourself a favor and wander into a shop that sells Custom Shop Fenders and play a few of them first, and let us know how you did get on. Just a CS with a CS FAT set ( '50, '60', '63, '69 ) .... that will do.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 2:53 PM
  10. AxemanVR

`
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

I once owned a 2012 Fender American Standard Strat with Custom Shop Fat 50's pickups but sold it shortly after getting my 2018 MIM Fender Road Worn 50's Strat. Both were great guitars but I just liked the Road Worn way better.

Anyway, my Road Worn currently has a set of Fender 2014 Pure Vintage 60th Anniversary "Limited Edition" (only 1,954 sets made) Stratocaster AlNiCo 3 pickups that I love, but I can't honestly say that I love them more than the measly Squier Classic Vibe 50s pickups in my partscaster.

So, if this is one of those "Custom Shop stuff is always better than everything else" snobby things, then all I can say is that I'm not convinced that's always true...

RW Ilich Strat 12-01-2019.jpeg

`

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 5:37 PM
  11. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

IMG_4913.JPG IMG_4921.JPG IMG_4916 (1).JPG IMG_4904.JPG
    My point is... play a complete CS Strat with CS PUPS. The fact that the pups you have are limited edition does not mean it's what you were looking for. In fact you tell us that you do not notice the difference between the pups. I listened to your recording, if that first listed recording was made with your Strat, you can not go wrong with looking round for something different. The neck might be awesome but the sound is not coming across as being exciting.
    Do I think that the CS has the Ultimate pup? Nope. Do I believe we are paying through the nose? Yes. Do I think those pups are good. Yep.
    One more thing. I had a luthier make several Strat (and Tele) guitars and I can tell you that I never liked the end result... even although I provided the Tele and Strat CS pickups for the builds.... They NEVER sounded the way I expected them to sound. They are for sale... each of them under 1,000 dollars.. Custom built, awesome looking, special paint, great necks.. Sound... Meh!! Great deal... will come polished and with new strings.... just kidding.! Have a look..

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 3:40 PM
  12. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

Fender is REALLY good at marketing. You can't be seriously thinking a sweet little old latina lady is the ultimate guru of pickup winding? Just like Abby before her, 110% marketing BS. $500 for a set of pickups all because of the street address where they're made? For real?? I need some of that action!

heffus and AxemanVR like this.
  13. AxemanVR

`
    Okay, lets back the wagon up a bit.

First of all, the Fender Pure Vintage '54 pickups are exactly what I was looking for (I went through four sets of pickups before being blessed by their angelic presence) and, secondly, I never said the Squier pickups sounded the "same", just that the "quality" of their tone was on par with some of the best sounding guitars I've experienced in my almost 40 years of playing.

But, if you say I'm missing out on something then who am I to question you?

`

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 4:05 PM
  14. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Case in point... DUMBLE . Would you pay 50,000 US Dollars for a Dumble amp?!! I certainly would not.... but maybe you would. His claim to fame is a few well-heeled customers and NO marketing. Maybe that is why is still a one man band company. So, it is fabulous to have choices. It is even better to be able to execute on some of them. Welcome to our capitalistic society! LOL..

15. AxemanVR

I agree, although I actually have an Abigail Ybarra middle pickup in another HSH Strat I own and it actually sounds very nice. Not like "$166 nice" mind you ($500÷3), but still probably one of the best Strat middle pickups I've played (I only paid $62 for mine btw)...

SE Special.JPG

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 3:56 PM
  16. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Have a look here for current prices..... that includes the complete pick guard, loaded with all the connections and parts, made, installed and working.

https://stratosphereparts.com/searc...220260873&mc_cid=2d51129732&mc_eid=4b2beeb261

17. AxemanVR

`
    I really appreciate your thoughtful philanthropy and constructive criticism of the Reaper DAW "test" track (done with my 2003 Fender AVRI '52 Telecaster through a Mesa Boogie TA-30 amp btw), but I can assure you that I am more than satisfied with the questionable gear I already possess, thank you very much...

`

18. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Awesome. The 2003 AVRI '52 is a great guitar!

AxemanVR likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.