Fender 30" scale bass selection

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by oceanblue, Oct 22, 2019.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Are the Mustang basses currently the only offering from Fender for short scale? I see sites recommending Jaguar also, and Squire, but don't see any 30" scales offerings on the Fender website? Or am I missing them? Hoping for an inexpensive, but good quality, bass to learn on, but prefer short scale. I figure I can always upgrade PU's, tuners, etc later if necessary.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

The shorty Jag is discontinued but the Bronco is still available. Watch for an Adorama sale on the Mustang. The Broncos have great necks IMO and upgrading is fun regarding how inexpensive they are.
    Good Luck!!

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry Oceanblue...

You should still be able to find the Jag used at a good price. And the biggest complaint about the Bronco is the pickup. And that's an easy thing to replace.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  4. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Shame the Squire Affinity doesn't come in a 30" scale.

5. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Mustang Bass PJ

American Performer Mustang Bass

Vintera Mustang Bass

Justin Meldal-Johnsen signature Road Worn Mustang Bass

Squier CV '60s Mustang Bass

Squier Bronco Bass (basically a Musicmaster, but with a maple fretboard and different pick guard shape). Same shape as a Mustang Bass.

Someone above said the Squier VM Jag SS is discontinued. That's too bad. But there should be a bajillion of them on the used market, and cheap.

In short, the answer to your question is, "No." At this time Fender/Squier do not offer a short scale bass that does not use the Mustang/Musicmaster Bass body.

I have owned several of these (no Squier Mustang, JMJ Mustang, or Vintera...though I did put a Vintera neck on my PJ). Not the best, but the best bang for the buck is the Bronco, IMO. $150 brand new (I paid $100 used in mint condition), and got the job done with zero mods. The only one I no longer own is the Squier Jag SS. It wasn't gigable stock IMO. I immediately put Duncans and good quality electronics in it. It needed tuners and a bridge too. I played it for a while, but finally decided it wasn't worth upgrading any more. I pulled the Duncans, returned it to stock, and sold it for 2/3 of what I had paid for it. But for some reason, the Bronco didn't feel like it needed a thing. It's still around, bone stock.

I would imagine that the Squier VM '60s might be a great bang for the buck too (it's very new, so I haven't tried one yet).

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The Squier Jag bass is 30" $139 new! Everything about mine has been fine. I do wish the neck was thicker though.

8. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Link?

9. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

The Bass VI is a 30” scale. This one is mine....

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a Squier VM Jaguar SS bass a few years ago. I'm sorry to say but I wouldn't recommend it. The neck feels really good, but that is it. Body is so soft I've had to glue toothpicks into EVERY SINGLE HOLE - the pickguard screws starting popping out without even touching them and the strap buttons came out as soon as I put weight on them. Hardware is flimsy, electronics are cheap junk (it came with a non-working pot), and the pickups sounded like crap. I've sunk a couple hundred into it to make it a decent player, but from the factory it is garbage. Don't buy it unless you plan on tearing it apart and rebuilding it from the ground up.

There are other inexpensive offerings out there. Ibanez makes one that gets good reviews, and I think there's a Gretsch short scale that looks pretty cool. You've also got the good ol' EB-0 Epiphone, although the ones I've picked up have been a bit neck heavy.

And then there are the CV and Fender MIM Mustangs. I've played a few and they've been great. Yeah, they cost a bit more, but they're gig-worthy out of the box.

11. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister

The Mustangs are all 30" scale far as I know. I think the Mexican PJ Mustang is the best value but everyone has their own criteria. As mentioned you can catch them at nice discounts if patience is applied. What do you want to do with your 30" scale Bass? The answer to that would help.

12. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

For both playing at home and playing with a four piece band, drums, 2 guitars, bass, rock, classic rock.
    Right now I’m actually leaning toward just building a Warmoth, roasted maple neck, PJbody, lake placid blue, white pearl pick guard.
    I figure if I got one like the mustang by the time I did some upgrades I’d be at the same $7-800 range. And I REALLY love the roasted maple necks on my other builds, incredibly smooth, no finish needed and will just get smoother the more I use them. Even better if you burnish the neck and board before frets are installed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.