Fender 1968-1969 Vintage Tele with 1966 neck usual/common?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by ozzeng, Feb 14, 2020.

1. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

The Deluxe was the only Strat shaped headstock Tele that I know of. I've got 3 Thinlines and a Custom dating from early '72 to '78 that all have regular Tele headstocks and bullet truss rods. I don't believe that the Bullet Truss rod system was ever used on Standard (ie, not thinlines, customs, or deluxes) Tele's.

Excerpt from Fender Article:

"When Fender introduced the “bullet” truss rod system in 1971 on the Stratocaster, the truss rod adjustment mechanism moved from the body end of the neck to the headstock. This design entailed routing the truss rod channel into the back of the neck (as in the 1950s) regardless of fingerboard material, which meant that all “bullet” Stratocasters—maple- and rosewood-fingerboard models alike—were given skunk stripes. When other Fender models subsequently received bullet truss rod systems in the early 1970s, they too were given skunk stripes.

Finally, near the end of the 1970s, all Fender electric instruments, regardless of fingerboard material, were given rear-installed truss rod systems with skunk stripes."

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hahahahahaha looks like a senior moment!
    Mixing up bullet with three bolt or some such mistake.

Note that the article on the skunk stripe seems to imply that fingerboard material somehow dictated back or front truss rod install when in the '60s we saw both RW and maple boards with no skunk stripe.

3. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Yeah, according to the article it was because they moved away from one piece necks in Mid-'59, which required the routing on the back of the neck, to two piece necks where the routing happened in the front of the neck prior to being covered by the glued-on fret board. Rosewood was standard, but maple boards could be special ordered.

4. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the neck pickup is surely aftermarket.

ozzeng likes this.
  5. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Ok, from those shots it does not appear to have been a factory refin as there would be the identifying markings I mentioned earlier. However, the diagonal wire channel and the recessed ferrules makes it pretty certain that's a '66 body. The diagonal wire slot was eliminated, along with cloth wire and 250k pots, as running changes in mid-1968. The diagonal slot in the body means its earlier than mid-'68. FWIW, my early '68 Tele hah the channel, recessed ferrules, 250k pots and cloth wire. The cloth wire on your neck pickup leads is another giveaway that it's likely a '66.

Can you post some shots of the underside of the switch and the pots? Also, the date and the rating of the pots will also help pin it down.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The pics in the post you quoted above are not the OPs Tele, it's a '50s Esquire I posted pics of to show how a '66 should look with flush ferrules, where the pics the OP posted appear to have ferrules that stick out.

ozzeng likes this.
  7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a 66 duo sonic neck with a logo that is worn very much like that tele decal.

8. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

I stand corrected. Yes, the original pics do show what appear to be extended ferrules. I dug out the A.R. Duchossoir Telecaster reference and gave it a scan for some of these details. He suggests the flush ferrules ended with the '66 models, but I have a '67 body on one of my Teles and the ferrules are flush. He contends the logo on the OP's headstock began to appear in fall '67, so that confuses the matter further.

This is the logo on my Feb '68 Tele. _DSC0700.JPG

9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Image from iOS (2).jpg

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

This is a 3FEB66B: DSC_0310.JPG

ozzeng likes this.
  11. ozzeng

ozzeng Tele-Meister

Hi Antoon. Why do you think so? In what ways is the neck pickup different than an original '66-'69 pickup? Thanks for any info you can provide.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.