1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender 1966 vs 1968 Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Paul-McShartney, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm amazed the Pro isn't more popular than it is. I have always felt that it blows away the Super Reverb. Never cared for the 10" speakers. I'll take a Pro any day! And they're less expensive!

golfnut, JRapp and Paul-McShartney like this.
  2. Paul-McShartney

Paul-McShartney TDPRI Member

Sorry for the late reply you guys, life has gotten in the way last few weeks. Anyways, thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely be careful when buying an old fender.

On another note...I've found a 1964 bandmaster with the original cab for around 1100 and I'm wondering if these are pretty similar to the pro? Besides the lack of reverb, I've read that bandmasters share the same trannies and offer a very similar tone to the pros? The head and piggyback cab seem more convenient for transportation so if you guys can fill me in on the scoop with this stuff, I'd be vey grateful :)

3. Paul-McShartney

Wow that makes me really want to try a non reverb version!
    Is that circuit basically a blackface bandmaster with a 1 x 15?

4. Paul-McShartney

Yeah I haven't had the privilege to play a super reverb yet but they seem to be the most revered of the bigger blackface amps.

What did it for me with the pro was the attack transients. I think it's something to do with the smaller transformer? but it just felt plunky in a good way without being too harsh (which is something my Twin reverb reissue has a huge problem with).

Telenator likes this.
  5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I had a 65 Bandmaster, I liked it! But there are a few differences between them and a Pro Reverb. The BM is solid state rectified vs the PR's tube, and without reverb a little lower in gain. The normal channel on a BM is actually a bit hotter because the trem circuit takes a bit on the other. Has the same effect on the reverb amps, but the extra gain from the reverb circuit makes up for it. ("Gain" as I'm using the word here is nothing like "hi gain" it's there but not a heck of a lot)
    Also the Bandmaster cabs and in 64 it'd be the "small 2-12" is actually pretty big. Not heavy really, but wider than a Twin Reverb. About 67 or 68 they got stupid big. I found the head/cab kind of a pain to move around.
    However I did like the sound of that 65 and its cab! Ended up building a combo cab for it with 2-10s, same size as a Deluxe Reverb but little deeper.
    Anyway try it out if you can!

Paul-McShartney likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The BFBM is ss rectified. The Pro has a tube rectifier. I have learned over the years that I prefer the tone of a non reverb Fender. Every time really. Thicker, fuller, simpler. But it's very similar to the normal channel tone of a reverb version! try that!

Paul-McShartney likes this.
  7. Paul-McShartney

oh I didn't realize the bandmaster has a SS rectifier. That should make the attack a bit quicker right? That is one thing I do enjoy about my twin...

schmee likes this.
  8. Paul-McShartney

Right, I've experienced that too in the normal input of my twin...it's definitely thicker and warmer than the vibrato inputs.

9. Paul-McShartney

A 2x10 small cab sounds like a great combo with the BM head. If I end up getting one, ill definitely try that!

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Makes um easier to haul around but I did like the sound of the original cab. Had a G12H30 Anniversary and a Weber Blue Dog 30w alnico in for awhile, liked it with every amp I plugged into it. Whatever it had originally had been replace with a couple of Pyle Pyle Drivers, which really weren't bad either.

11. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

What year is your non-reverb BF Pro, if I may ask.

12. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Just because the blackface is a good deal at 1500 doesn't mean you should drop an extra 500 unless you think it sounds better. If you keep the amp, the supposed $500 of extra value means nothing because you won't recoup it. You don't always have to buy the best deal/best "investment" amp. Please yourself, not the fanboys or others -- the listener hears music and doesn't care what amp you're using.

13. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Buy them both, and pretend you're Bonamassa for a day.

So long as you don't plug in your guitar.

14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

For decades anything less than 2X12 was a deal breaker for me. It took many years but I warmed up to a 1X12 combo. However I could never bond with 10 inch speakers of any configuration. I've tried 2X12 and even had a Victoria Victorilux 3X10 but just didn't like the 10" speakers. Even the super or bassman with its 4X10 couldn't please me.
    I'm glad to be back to a 2X12 with my 67 pro reverb though.

Telenator likes this.
  15. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Yeah my most in your face super reverb was a drip edge that pedal steel players would kill for. The way you're describing it that's perfect for a vibroluxe also, unless it was you that didn't like the 10-in speakers. It's possible they didn't only come with a couple tens though. If it's a decent size venue a Vibroluxe and a pro are possibly the real "super reverb" in stereo too/two ha!

16. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Yeah I could never bond with a single ten my Princeton's always had bigger holes, but my big thing now is 12 and 10 I really love it, and different type of speakers-alNico and a ceramic. My super reverbs usually had mixed up speakers in the latter days, when they were muts and not "collectables". I think the only single 12 I could bond with is a deluxe or Princeton. I take that back there's a lot of little old Alamos and stuff that are just straight Dynamite some with tens!

17. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Agreed. I have been playing through a 1 x12 Rivera Chubster 40 for 21 years now and never looked back. If I need anything louder I'll know I've gone deaf!
    I find the attack of 10" speakers to just be too harsh for my taste. Especially with that little bit of string crash you get from a Strat. Nasty.

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It's a 64. It's surprising how light it is compared with a Twin or Super Rev etc. All that Reverb stuff adds up in weight I guess. No tilt back legs either. One 15" isn't much more weight than one 12". Seems comfortable to carry too... at least compared to a Super. My two main gigging amps (if I had gigs!) these days are the BF Deluxe non rev and the Pro.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.