Fender 1951 Telecaster Neck, Fat "U" Shape, Narrow Tall Frets, 9.5", Maple

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jz63, Jun 2, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I bought it after that post, as per my photo above yours and I agree: It's not as low as the vintage frets on my Strat, but not so high that I feel they are like road bumps, so they actually suit me really well as it turned out.

AndrewG likes this.
  2. neils

neils TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I ordered the neck from Sweetwater. I was still vague on which tuners to buy as there is so little info out there on what fits what. Really all we need is more specs listed with products. That shouldn't be hard.

Anyhow I emailed the Sweetwater sales rep Anthony. He got back to me quickly by phone and offered to contact Fender (they never returned my email) then called me back 20 minutes later and emailed a Fender PDF chart they have of neck model part#'s and what part # tuners fit. Great service.

It all arrives tomorrow so we'll see.

Neil

whoanelly15 likes this.
  3. neils

How many of you guys have the body routed for the truss rod adjustment? Know where I mean? A route between the neck pickup and the neck cavity. I've had MJT bodies that are, my current body does not. Fender used to do it in the '50s, not sure about now.

Neil

4. neils

Neck/tuner chart Maybe I embedded this correctly

Attached Files:

aadvark likes this.
  5. neils

So, neck arrived today. 1st fret .930", 12th fret .970". Neck bolt pattern is typical Fender. Back to tuner size........

That chart says tuners part #099 2040 000 fit. Well they do but, tuners fit the holes with room to spare. Screw pattern to pre drilled neck tuner holes is correct. The bushings to press in from the face of the neck are gonna be tight, like need to ream and/or hammer.

Holes for tuners measure .340" or 8.6mm Outer diameter of the "press in" bushings is .360" If the holes were 10mm as some Fenders are that would measure .390" so they aren't for 10mm tuners.

Vintage tuner dimensions are per the web 11/31" or 8.8mm so it would seem this neck is looking for vintage tuner size not the later assumed 10mm size.

I'm going to take one tuner off the other neck that is Vintage spec and see whats up.

For you guys who have used this neck what tuners did you use? Someone has done this, I ain't the first.

Neil

6. neils

So much measuring, web research etc. The neck is drilled for 11/32" tuners. What I have or any other vintage spec tuner is the size I have. The Kluson site says I need 8.8mm holes which is .343", I have 340" so that is fine.

I guess what has me spooked is driving the bushings into the existing holes. It is more than a tight fit.

Neil

7. riga_rig

riga_rig TDPRI Member

8. 1revcapps

1revcapps TDPRI Member

I installed this neck on my
    partscaster. Nice neck but very substantial thickness and shoulders. Plays very well but it’s a little big overall for my medium sized hands.

9. Dave_11

Dave_11 Tele-Meister

Does anyone know how the shape/size of this neck compares with the Classic Series 70s Strat U neck?

Edit: sorry, just saw this has been asked a couple of times before...but no answer yet that I saw...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  10. KelvinS1965

Probably not much help, but I recently played an American Original 50s Strat and I felt that the neck on that was very much the brother of this Tele Fat U neck. Shame that in the UK they are the price of a whole MIM Strat just to buy the bare neck, otherwise my Strat would probably have one on it by now (or I'd have another Strat since I only need a body and a few minor parts to make one up ;) ).

11. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Tele-Meister

Amen & an understatement says I...new 70th Esquire owner here, definitely "somewhat liberal with their terminology." "Tall Vintage" was one of the selling points for me.

12. Lothy

Lothy TDPRI Member

Installed the fat 50 neck on my Tele yesterday.
    Very nice neck. The overall quality is very good. The frets are the same as on my SRV Strat, Dunlop 6505 I suppose.

IMG_20210311_104020.jpg IMG_20210311_103958.jpg

I'm very happy with it, sounds great, feels good.

Cheers
    Gerhard

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  13. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I was the one who asked the same question. I'm able to answer it now - it's MUCH fatter than the Classic 70's Strat U Neck. I'm surprised they didn't call it the "Nocaster" neck. I've built 3 teles so far with this 1951 neck and own 2 Classic 70's strats. As far as I know, I don't think Fender offers any stock models with a neck as fat as the 1951.

I love it - definitely worth it if you like fat necks and the tone/sustain that comes along with them.

KelvinS1965 and aadvark like this.
  14. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Just ordered one for my purple road work tele. Should be here next week.

15. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I really like the Fender Eric Johnson Strat neck. For me it has a nice solid full feel but I don't have big hands I prefer it over a C shape.
    I often wonder if there is a neck like the EJ for a Telecaster?

16. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Got the neck today. Ordered it from Blackrider Vintage Guitars. Super snug fit on my purple road worn. Still some minor tweaking on the nut slots, but has been an easy transition. Love the size and shape of this neck. Big yes, but not uncomfortably big. It has made a great guitar better.

17. KelvinS1965

Great to see so many other owners and builders of partscasters with this neck. It's been one of my better purchases in recent years. I never needed to get the frets levelled as I'd planned on getting done once finished. It plays as well as my other guitars that I've had re-fretted and properly levelled and crowned, so I have a good reference too, including a new(ish) Pleked Gibson SG.

This neck really got me into fatter necks, so I'm currently building a Strat with an even fatter Allparts neck (1" deep at 1st and 12th), which is really ironic since I sold a guitar a few years ago because I didn't like the big neck (a 50s Tribute Les Paul).

I bought aged Gotoh tuners for mine, but I've recently fitted Fender 'ping' vintage style tuners to my Player Jaguar and also have an aged set of Fender vintage style for the new Strat: I think these are a little smoother in operation, but sadly the Gotoh uses larger bushes (10mm) so I've already opened out the headstock and would need to use adaptor bushes to change to the Fender tuners. I don't fancy using bulky adaptors so will live with this issue (it's only on the high E tuner and it holds tune fine, just feels a bit 'stiff').

I recently added a neck pickup to the Esquire, so I needn't have bothered changing the decal from 'Telecaster' to 'Esquire' when I refinished the neck in nitro last summer...

Tele 9.jpg

18. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar....well done.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  19. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

Mine doesn’t have the route. It’s a classic vibe 50s body. It’s got the tiniest amount of relief, but with 11s on it it’s pretty good all the way up. I’m afraid to adjust it, as I’ve never had a heel truss rod before. I’d like to make the rout but I’m not really good at that kind of thing.

20. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I keep looking at the after-market 1951 Tele neck. But the U-shape puts me off, a little. I already have a CS '51 Nocaster with that deep U-shape. A 9.5" radius w/a soft V-shape would be ideal...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.