1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender 1951 Telecaster Neck, Fat "U" Shape, Narrow Tall Frets, 9.5", Maple

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jz63, Jun 2, 2019.

1. silver8ack

silver8ack TDPRI Member

I know this is a necro-post but I figured it’s better than a new thread.

I haven’t played a thick U, but I’ve played a 1056 Soft V and a Brad Paisley V. Both were about .9 to 1” 1st to 12th.

how does the thick U compare? I like to do a lot of thumb over the top playing. Is the thick U harder to play on than the V styles for that sort of thing? Looking to buy stock Fender parts and can’t really find anything with a thick V profile and 9.5” radius.

2. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

The Vintage Modified Thinline Telecaster Neck is the most reasonably priced U Shape out there right now that is not $299.99. Indonesian made with a 9.5” and medium jumbo frets and the truss rod adjust is on the neck - not the heel which to me is The Archilles Heel of Old School
    Fenders (along with 7.25 and “vintage”:eek: frets - which lately I call Bean Counter Frets - because only an accountant would do such a disservice like this
    to such a great guitar.

capt pearl likes this.
  3. silver8ack

silver8ack TDPRI Member

Can you buy that neck by itself?

4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, I’ve seen them on The Stratosphere.
    The Indonesians are into Chunky Necks.
    Just in case You’re unaware - I got my Natural Squier Thinline WITH Fender stamped pickups for $299.99 and She’s as good and in many cases 90% better than most Guitars I’ve played over the last 54 years. I have not changed or replaced a bloody thing.
    Power Slinky’s on everything.

5. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’d love to oder this neck to replace a modern C, but I’m nervous about finishing off the nut. Ive never done any work on nuts before...

6. silver8ack

silver8ack TDPRI Member

You could slap a pre-cut Tusq on there. I did before and instead of cutting any slots, I taped sand paper to the neck(to match the radius) and sanded off the bottom of the nut until the highest was right. I mainly had to do this because I was putting a flat bottom in a 12” radius neck. You might not have to do anything if you get the standard 9.5” radius nut.

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I hadn't either, though I'm a trained engineer, so not averse to using hand tools...I bought a set of Hosco nut files and took my time. I've actually used these to fine tune my other guitars, so they have already paid for themselves in terms of what I would have paid a tech to get them done.

This is now one of my favourite guitars; I put an aged body on it in the end, so it has become a sort of '54 Esquire wannabe.

Esq 8.jpg

Esq 2.jpg

50hz, rze99, whoanelly15 and 6 others like this.
  8. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles Tele-Meister

Who makes the lipless bridge plate?

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

You can buy them made by various sellers, but my one is a standard Fender plate, that I've linished the sides down using a flap wheel on an angle grinder (right side of photo).

Bridge mod 1.jpg

Bridge mod 2.jpg
    Bridge mod 4.jpg

10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of questions for anyone that may have ordered this neck.
    First can anyone tell me how rolled the edges are. I prefer not too much as I don't like the lack of real estate at the edges for the e strings
    Second can anyone tell me where I could order this in Canada?

11. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

Seriously considering this neck for a project. Is it as fat or fatter than the U-shaped necks on the Classic 70's strats?

12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have this neck but have not used it on a project yet. Far too many existing guitars!

The fretboard edges are not rolled

The neck is properly thick. Thicker than a Baja. If you want a thick neck and not expensive this is it.

It’s very glossy. If I use it I will take off all the excessive gloss and roll the edges as well as install a bone nut.

13. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  14. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Hmmmm, me thinks I may have to look into this once the evil Corona hangover has passed

15. neils

neils TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Bringing up an old thread here,. Old man hands have me looking for a thicker neck on my Tele. I'm interested in this neck. What size are the tuner holes? MIM=10mm? Are all modern Fenders 10mm now? I assume I either need Fender tuners or Klusons with the adapter bushing. I have Klusons on the neck on the guitar now and I have zero complaints.

What tuners have you guys been using?

Thank you

Neil

16. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like the slotted vintage style tuners.

17. neils

neils TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thank you Fenderchamp. I like those as well. What brand works in that neck or do I just get the Klusons I like and add the adapter bushings

I am assuming being a MIM neck it takes 10mm tuners. Confirm?

What did you use?

Neil

18. Bill Clay

Bill Clay TDPRI Member

Bit of a tangent but I saw someone ask earlier how the 51 U tele neck compares to the Classic Series 70s U Strat neck. I was thinking of sticking the 51 tele neck on a strat body but that would require some touting id rather not do. If the Classic Series 70s U neck isn't a huge departure from the tele U I'd gladly use that. I have no doubt the tele U is fatter overall but if someone with measurements or first hand knowledge were to say that they're pretty comparable that'd be valuable info

19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I'm not sure it does. I fitted vintage tuners to mine and I'm 99% certain this was the neck I had to ream to fit the tuners into. I'm not at home right now, so I can't check.

I didn't update this thread, but I sanded the poly off mine (apart from the fingerboard) and sprayed it with tinted nitro to give it an aged effect and changed the logo to say 'Esquire'. Hope this doesn't cause arguments on here, but it was already labelled 'Fender' so I don't feel I'm faking anything.

I put a bone nut in it too while it was stripped down. It plays really, really well now and feels nicely worn in despite being one of my newer guitars.

Esquire & Champ 2.jpg

From behind:
    Esquire 6.jpg

50hz and whoanelly15 like this.
  20. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

If the frets are the same as on my AO50s, also described as 'tall vintage', I think Fender are being somewhat liberal with their terminology. They may be very slightly taller than what you'd find on, say, an AVRI, but they are less tall than medium jumbo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.