1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender’s CuNiFe WRHB “sold out” status

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bedder18, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

The new WRHB has both a neck and bridge offering. Everywhere I look, the neck one is sold out and back ordered. Fender’s website keeps saying a date and then pushes that date further back when it arrives. It seems they are content on putting them into their production guitars like the AO70 and CS, and not making the neck version available for the moment.

Ok, fine. That’s good business.

But what I don’t understand is why people aren’t jumping on the “bridge” cunife pickups? They’re available and it’s the same damned thing. I have a bridge one that measures 11k and the neck version has a range of just 0.2k lower. It’s a wonderful pickup, btw.

so my advice is, if you’re thinking you want one of these in the neck position, try the bridge WRHB. It’s just ever-so-slightly more output than the neck one. No point in waiting around for Fender. Besides, everyone knows these things have pole pieces that don’t align well with the strings in the typical bridge position anyways.

ScribbleSomething likes this.
  2. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Is the pole width different?

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Maybe Tele fans are using the traditional pickup in the bridge, and want the WRHB for the neck. Some models in the 70s did that.

2HBStrat likes this.
  4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can understand this, since there are Fenders with the Wide Range neck and a regular Tele bridge.

Bedder18 likes this.
  5. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

you’d think so, but nope. They measure the same...just as the original 70s ones did.

6. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

It’s my favorite set up, actually.

7. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

yes, that’s exactly it. So these same people wanting a wrhb for the neck position are exactly what fender seems to be exploiting at the moment. But what I’m saying is the bridge wrhb is the same pickup as the neck but just a hair more output, which is a perfect match for most mid gain (and up) traditional bridge pickups.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Does it have to be Fender's CuNiFe? Curtis Novak has been doing WRHBs for a while, and although it's a different alloy, it's still a threaded magnet, unlike the original Fender WRHB reissue. Jason Lollar, and others, talk about magnet alloy being misleading since 'stronger' alloys can be deguassed. The clips I've heard of the Mojotones sound really good also. Yeah, I'm sure all of this has already been talked about in recent threads.

Bedder18 likes this.
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Yeah, I think it's just that people probably are more likely to see "neck pickup" and spring for it. There was a thread yesterday on Strat Talk about the real difference between bridge and neck pickups, and in a lot of cases, there isn't much difference at all.

Bedder18 likes this.
  10. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

yes, but none of them have that Fender logo and that’s important when building an authentic looking deluxe or custom.

...but for sure, there are plenty of great options. My experience with Novak pickups (and Curtis himself in a few emails) has been very positive. And yes, his magnet formula for the wrhb is a solid alternative. Even almico3 magnets get it done if done right. Gemini Pickups out of NY do a WRHB called the “tone ranger” that uses alnico3 (not many people know about this guy, but he’s a great winder) And lots of others....

but for anyone who has had an original cunife wrhb, it is slightly different. It just is, and I cannot be confused by charts and graphs. Without going down a rabbit hole or making any wild claims, I’ll just say that Fender’s new wrhb with the cunife is my favorite thus far. Taste is subjective, but I think they nailed it.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  11. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I've been thinking about getting a set of the new CuNiFes to put in my MIM Classic 72, just to hear em in person. Figured if I didn't like em I could always sell them on. I know at least one fellow (here on TDPRI?) who's installed two bridge pickups in his guitar, as the necks have been out of stock for so long. It worked for him!

12. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I could've used even less hot neck WRHB. Or should've ordered overwound bridge (non WRHB).

Bedder18 likes this.
  13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Hmm, I've had an order for one for my Custom (neck position) at a local store since December, with ETA mid-February. Still waiting, now maybe a lot longer than expected!!!

Bedder18 likes this.
  14. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

In so many other situations, the distinction between neck and bridge pickups should be observed. But since we are talking about otherwise identical neck/bridge pickups like the new Fender wrhb, the only difference is the number of winds (output). They use the same pole spacing and same wire on both the neck/bridge. Lastly, when you look at something like a 72 style Custom or Deluxe, you’re blessed with TWO volume controls, so the whole thing is a moot point. I wouldn’t hesitate to use two bridge pickups on a Deluxe. And I’m using a “bridge” wrhb with a higher output traditional single coil bridge and they play realllly nice together.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  15. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Might want to consider grabbing a bridge while you can. Last time I checked, Amazon had a few sellers with them available. If and when Fender replenishes supply of the neck ones, you can jump on that, too.

16. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Glad I bought both styles on almost day 1. Now just waiting for the right Tele Deluxe platform for them.

17. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

lucky dog.

consider the American Professional II ? If I was going to build from scratch, I’d pick up one of those. Reasons:

They have a shorty/chopped ashtray bridge instead of the typical strat style bridge of a traditional deluxe. May or may not be to your liking ,,,

the new “mercury” finish is gorgeous, IMO.

4 bolt neck,

yeah, you’re gonna need a whole new scratch plate and wiring, but you were gonna put pups in anyways, right ?

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you're mentioning this. It was also mentioned a month ago.
    My only question is are the leads long enough to put the bridge pickup in the neck position?

I'm kicking myself for not just buying one in Dec. I'm lazy & didnt think they'd sell so quickly.

Worse case scenario is I get a Deluxe body and put it in it's intended position.

Telecaster88 and Bedder18 like this.
  19. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

yeah, most sets the discrepancy between pickups is not something some height adjustment can't take care of...they're in the hundreds of ohms DCR close.

if you know these, like these and know you really want these, just wait until the vast majority dump them when they realize how much they bought into the hype and how underwhelming they find a WRHB. i'm all for supporting the people who grew up with these near and dear to their heart, but most people's idea of what they think they sound like is probably closer to a firebird pup.

i'm getting ready for the massive amounts of forum whining that's about to ensue ("no but you see, you reject their message because you did not experience that which was delivered to us by st. seth, in the year of our lord, nineteen hundred and seventy").

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  20. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

right, or even tilting them to boost/cut your desired frequency. That’s a cool feature of these

personally, I did grow up with them and prefer em a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.